AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Anthony Green - Beautiful Things Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.29
Musicianship 6.4
Lyrics 6.46
Production 6.34
Creativity 6.68
Lasting Value 6.22
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Average: 66%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Anthony Green - Beautiful Things

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (01/20/12)
Anthony GreenBeautiful Things
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Record Label: Photo Finish

Anthony Green has always had a hyper, if not eccentric, sense of honesty and sincerity to him. Whether it was a personal highlight or lowlight, it has always been present in his various forms of musical output, even if it would come across in the vaguest of metaphors. But that was before marriage, before he turned his life around, before he had his first child. Now armed with the realest of real life experiences, Green has unveiled his most personal collection of tracks yet on his second solo effort, the appropriately titled Beautiful Things.

Green doesn't shy away from anything throughout the album's thirteen tracks. He doesn't mind revealing details about his personal life or his family (the nearly naked woman that graces the cover of Beautiful Things is his wife), which is crucial since it's those topics that generate the intense passion behind each track. The first two tracks on Beautiful Things seem to be reminders of what he needs to do to continue the positivity in his life. The sizzling opener “If I Don't Sing” has Green's vocals soaring over a brash alt-country tempo. It also doesn't hurt when your backing band is the fellas from Good Old War, who all join in on the very fun a cappella track “Do It Right.” Good Old War isn't the only friend who joins Green on Beautiful Things. Circa Survive bandmate Colin Frangicetto offers some vocal back-up on the folky “How It Goes,” while LIGHTS adds a subtle harmony to the up-beat jam “Just To Feel Alive” (the album's bonus tracks feature contributions from Ida Maria, Chino Moreno, and Nate Ruess; make sure to seek these out).

Musically, Beautiful Things has something for everyone. Good Old War drummer Tim Arnold gives each track some great grooves and rhythms, while Maps And Atlases' guitarist Dave Davison lays down some delicious riffs on “Get Yours While You Can.” Green mellows out on the sleepy synth of “When I'm On Pills,” while toe-tapping “Blood Song” draws its narrative from the film There Will Be Blood.

With the flow of the album fluctuating from one genre to the next, Green's smooth croon remains the one constant on Beautiful Things. His voice adds an extra layer of warmth to tracks like the chaotic “Moon Song” and the twangy “Big Mistake.” The sweetest of moments emerge during the songs dedicated to his first born song, James. There's a tenderness in Green's vocals that really impacts the gentle “James' Song,” as well as on the closing track “Lullaby.”

There's a certain nakedness to this album that makes it so endearing. The sincerity displayed by Green throughout just makes it very easy for any listener to be fully transfixed by Beautiful Things. Green's second solo effort is a huge step up from 2008's Avalon, showcasing a versatility and cohesiveness its predecessor lacked. Fans have always had a secondhand look into the mind and pathos of the Circa Survive front man, but with Beautiful Things things don't seem so bleak anymore, as we've been invited in to share the new found joy in Anthony Green's life.

8/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. If I Don't Sing
2. Do It Right
3. Moon Song
4. Get Yours While You Can
5. When I'm On Pills
6. Can't Have It All At Once
7. Big Mistake
8. Love You No Matter What
9. How It Goes (feat. Colin Frangicetto)
10. Just To Feel Alive (feat. LIGHTS)
11. James' Song
12. Blood Song
13 Lullaby

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57.
12:57 AM on 01/20/12
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
I really like this album.
01:23 AM on 01/20/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I love how Good Old War-y it is
01:27 AM on 01/20/12
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
I didn't even know Colin and Lights were on this album on my first listen. You can't really tell they are there at all.
02:09 AM on 01/20/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
love the vibe this album gives me and Only Love gives me chills. great album.
02:16 AM on 01/20/12
InfiniteArms
Best Western Beat
User Info.
I'd be very surprised if this album is not in my EOTY list
02:22 AM on 01/20/12
creativemind
every planet we reach is dead
User Info.
This album is great.
03:41 AM on 01/20/12
Javs
pretentious
User Info.
Couldnt get through this album. Just wasn't really feeling it. I did buy all the bonus tracks though becuase I really enjoyed those.
05:05 AM on 01/20/12
thegreatchin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think its alright but I already know that its an album I won't keep coming back to a great deal.
05:29 AM on 01/20/12
doctorm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like it better than Avalon already, but I find it weird that the best songs are the bonus tracks.
06:01 AM on 01/20/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Avalon was underwhelming, hopefully this is better.
06:47 AM on 01/20/12
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
Avalon was underwhelming, hopefully this is better.
Better, but not that good.
06:49 AM on 01/20/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
Never have been a fan of his solo stuff. Is this worth checking out?
06:49 AM on 01/20/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Really digging this album so far. I loved Avalon tons though.
06:58 AM on 01/20/12
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
Never have been a fan of his solo stuff. Is this worth checking out?
This.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums