AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Last Of The Believers - Paper Ships Under A... Album Cover

Last Of The Believers - Paper Ships Under A...

Reviewed by
Last Of The Believers - Paper Ships Under A Burning Bridge
Label: LOTB Inc.
Release Date: July 24th, 2007

Who puts out some of the best cds year in and year out? Supergroups (The Falcon I’m looking at you). Who are some of the most overlooked bands? Supergroups. Unless they're of course still signed off to their former counterparts label. One of the best supergroups I’ve seen in a while is being ignored by people everywhere and I feel this is an injustice to a band that light fans can get into and elitists try to hate, but cannot. Last Of The Believers consists of former members of Rise Against (Chris Chasse who left the band last February), Reach The Sky (Chasse) and Spark Of Life (Steve Jennings and Nick Piscitello) while featuring current member of Ignite, Brett Rasmussen. I don't know exactly how serious these veteran musicians are about their new project, but if they tour, they could be a new staple band in both the hardcore and punk scenes respectively.

Paper Ships Under A Burning Bridge begins with a barn burning opener in “Dissent” that really just sets the tone for the EP which lasts a good fifteen minutes. It also gives you an idea at the energy such a band possesses. What I wasn’t expecting was that they would slow down with the next track, “Throwing Matches” and actually sing, this is also somewhat of the title track for the EP. But before you get used to the lighter punk sound, they get right back into gear with “Workhorse”, which is my favorite track on the EP. It’s just straight up melodic hardcore. It has everything I’ve ever loved in a hardcore song. It’s short, it’s fast, and it has gang vocals. Then versatility strikes again and we have another slow track in “You Get What You Get”. The EP finishes off with “Fists Up” that takes a page out of the book of many Bridge 9 and Revelation bands’ handbooks.

Paper Ships Under A Burning Bridge has songs I will scream out at shows (please tour), lyrics I can enjoy, music that’s slow, fast, and everything in between. It can appeal to anyone who’s at least remotely a fan of hardcore. Be it Have Heart, Lifetime, or Crime In Stereo, these guys will get you. One thing is for sure, whatever way you look at it, Last Of The Believers can go as far as their music takes them. If they keep making music, they could probably make it around this country quite a few times.

Recommended If You LikeCrime In Stereo, Any Of The Other Former Nitro Bands, Melodic Hardcore In General
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Dissent
2. Throwing Matches
3. Workhorse
4. You Get What You Get
5. Fists Up

Myspace ; Order the album
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
04:14 AM on 08/16/07
Nametekken
5-0 Next up Arkansas
User Info.
i will have to give these guys a listen.
05:52 AM on 08/16/07
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
good review. i really enjoyed this ep. i think the only song i didn't like was "you get what you get". i hope these guys are really serious about this band. i want a full-length
07:28 AM on 08/16/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Looks pretty good.

Nice write up Nathan.
01:47 PM on 08/16/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
this EP is the shit. I can't wait for these guys' full length
01:48 PM on 08/16/07
(SceneNameHere)
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review seems like a re-write of mine at punknews. none the less, the album does sound like that.
02:00 PM on 08/16/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
this review seems like a re-write of mine at punknews. none the less, the album does sound like that.

I actually haven't read the PN.org review of this. That's weird that we both said stuff about B9 and the CIS stuff. shit happens.
08:49 AM on 08/17/07
(SceneNameHere)
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
pretty much
03:17 PM on 08/18/07
iamtaylorrr
it's just not quite the season
User Info.
i really like this band, and i don't usually go for bands like this.
02:05 PM on 08/28/07
Mikey216
User Info.
Good stuff. I just did an interview with Chris. He had some interesting things to share.
11:41 AM on 10/20/08
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
I've talked to these guys via their Myspace, extremely friendly and very talented.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos