AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kingdom of Giants - Abominable EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 5.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Average: 81%

Kingdom of Giants - Abominable EP

Reviewed by: Niko John (02/06/12)
Kingdom of Giants - Abominable EP
Record Label: Outerloop Management (Unsigned)
Release Date: January 25th, 2012

Who?

Kingdom of Giants is a hardcore band from California consisting of six people. Originally known as the band Hello Sailor, they decided to switch to the name Kingdom of Giants. What a proper name it is. These guys have the potential to be something massive in the now over-saturated hardcore/post-hardcore scene. Their debut EP, Abominable, shows glimpses of this greatness. Just enough to get you hooked, but not enough to make this an amazing score.

How is it?

Stephen Rezza. This is the name that you will hear in the months to come among the "screamo" scene (assuming of course that Kingdom of Giants gets signed; which I will bet money on will happen by the end of 2012). Stephen is literally what makes this band a cut above the rest. The screams, lyrics (for the most part) and the guitars (although there is some decent shredding in there) are all generic. Imagine that Scott Barnes, the vocalist for In Fear and Faith, suddenly got up and became the new vocalist for August Burns Red, or The Air I Breath. Some of you may shudder while others may think "That is......interesting *turns toward the camera* BUT IT MAY BE JUST WHAT WE NEED" While Kingdom of Giants doesn't have as good of a song structure as ABR and isn't as good, technicality wise, as TAIB, the mix of hardcore generality with that type of crisp, clean, Johny Craig/IFAF'esk vocals is something very fresh that I haven't heard before.

I don't mean to make this vocalist seem like an angel sent from heaven. Stephen is no Craig Owens or Johny Craig; at least not yet. For now Stephen is playing it very safe. It seems he is fine with just making his voice sound good and getting Kingdom of Giants on the map.

If Kingdom of Giants would add some variety to, not only the vocals, but also to the actual music, they would fly up the hardcore crowd so fast that every giant in the hardcore scene would be knocked on their ass in the take off (see what I did there?). Even if you hate the band, at least you will be treated to some badass album art. That's always fun...right?

Recommended If You LikeIn Fear and Faith, August Burns Red, The Air I Breathe, Alesana (with less whinny vocals), a little synth sprinkled on, Broadway (vocals)

LinksMyspace, Twitter, Facebook

Track Listing 1. Who I Once Was
2. A Test of My Survival
3. Watch Me
4. Onslaught
5. The Overlord
6. Guns and Girls

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
10:53 AM on 02/14/12
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
I would love to hear this band with just clean vocals.
03:04 PM on 02/14/12
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
I would love to hear this band with just clean vocals.
Same here. I would love to see some acoustic stuff from Dana! He is such a great singer.
03:34 PM on 02/14/12
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
Same here. I would love to see some acoustic stuff from Dana! He is such a great singer.

This guy is every good as Jonny Craig or anyone else. If this band was all cleans, they'd be emarosa huge.
02:17 AM on 02/15/12
cyncoolkid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lol nice review but you must be deaf if you think KOG is hardcore.
06:14 AM on 02/15/12
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
Lol nice review but you must be deaf if you think KOG is hardcore.

If you took away the clean vocals what else would you classify them as? They are heavier then regular screamo but not so heavy to be called death metal or deathcore.
06:16 AM on 02/15/12
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
This guy is every good as Jonny Craig or anyone else. If this band was all cleans, they'd be emarosa huge.

Well as huge as Emarosa once was, considering that they are in hiding. I haven't heard a peep from them in, what feels like, forever.
08:29 PM on 02/16/12
richrolen
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just an fyi Dana doesn't do the cleans, stephen rezza the keyboardist does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwlA1k8N-M
11:39 AM on 02/17/12
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
Just an fyi Dana doesn't do the cleans, stephen rezza the keyboardist does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwlA1k8N-M
Thanks, I'm going to try and find out if he does the cleans for the entire EP. Everywhere I've looked it says that Dana also does some vocals so I'm going to try and get the facts straight.
08:58 PM on 02/17/12
Awesomeirish
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't wait til these guys get signed. I'm hoping they nail down a genre in their next album though, so they can continue to work in a newer direction.
04:18 PM on 03/30/14
SpencerCoronado
User Info.
They actually dropped an LP called Every Wave of Sound in the past year, and Dana now does clean vocals as well. It's pretty damn good!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS