AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Yearling - The View from Here Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6
Production 8.5
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 4.75
Final Verdict: 62%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.57
Musicianship 8.14
Lyrics 8.18
Production 8.61
Creativity 6.39
Lasting Value 7.79
Reviewer Tilt 8.36
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Yearling - The View from Here

Reviewed by: Rich Duncan (08/29/07)
Yearling - The View From Here
Release Date - May 8, 2007
Record Label - Tragic Hero Records

Pop-rock sure loves to give me a hard time. The genre is practically bursting with bands who can craft infectious choruses and melodic hooks which are then glossed over with a similar slick production style that virtually eliminates the playing field between genre heavyweights and relative new comers. The genre is, with a few exceptions, rapidly turning into a vast collection of bands that are virtually indistinguishable from one another. I hate to sound like I am prejudiced against the genre because I enjoy it as much as the next music fan (in moderation), but to be honest, pop-rock is becoming overly saturated with bands who have everything it takes to impress legions of mainstream fans, yet offers very limited original ideas. Seem insignificant to a review about Yearling? Seem out of place in a review? I assure you, it is not.

Yearling, as you may have already guessed, is a pop-rock quartet hailing from Raleigh, North Carolina. A little fun fact about the band is guitarist/vocalist Sid Menon played bass in the brutal metal outfit Glass Casket, which is the polar opposite of his current passion. The View From Here is the bands debut album and begins with “Kaleidoscope” which immediately tries to hook the listener with slick, driving melodies and the standard heart-on-sleeve lyricism that when coupled with an agonized delivery, usually equates to moderate stardom. “Holiday” follows suit with many of the songs on this record, bringing the listener an abundance of energy and the familiar brand of spunk that is associated with Yearling‘s peers. This song is also one of the first tracks that utilizes keyboard flourishes which causes many to throw Motion City Soundtrack comparisons left and right. “Picture Prose” is the first song with any sort of “edge”, and is actually an enjoyable track because it showcases a little more of the musicianship each band member is capable of, unlike the rather formulaic tracks that precede it.

This edge becomes more prominent on the second half of the album with the riff-oriented opening to “Arrow and Archer”, another enjoyable song that while deviating into the same overly dramatic tone of thee rest of the album, occasionally branches off into short spurt of crunchy rock riffs and swagger. “Atlantis” is an eight minute “epic” which carries a sound that overshadows and overpowers most of the album, and shows Yearling breaking the mould for once. Blending both their penchant for balladry and over-the-top pop-rock energy, “Atlantis” is the standout album on this track in terms of execution and diversity attempted.

A track by track commentary on Yearling’s thirteen track debut is unnecessary, because once you get past the first few tracks, the listener is well prepared for what is in store for the rest of the album. Yearling’s The View From Here isn’t necessarily a poor album in terms of execution, because like most bands in their genre, the execution is virtually flawless and every song is tight and chock full of every ingredient needed to reel in your common music fan. However, there is a relative lack of experimentation and the playing time is too long for an album that mostly sticks to one sound and runs with it for the full 61 minutes, a death knell for any band looking to make a lasting impression on a listener to ensure they check out subsequent releases. Yearling has a lot of talent and potential and I wish them all the success in the world since being a musician is tough, but hopefully their next album is a little less lengthy and brings something new to the table that their countless peers haven’t already brought to the public time and time again.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
05:11 PM on 08/29/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Good review. Despite the cd kinda of blending together, it's got some really great tunes. I love "Holiday", "The View From Here" and "Slowdance" more than any other tracks. As you stated, the production is flawless and it's definitely a great cd to put on for background music. I would've rated it in the 70's, but I definitely think they have tons of potential.
12:14 AM on 08/30/07
stevoemo
I'm coocoo for cocoapuffs
User Info.
ya, i enjoyed this album, but in all it was pretty forgetable. as a sidebar, it did kinda remind me of early tsl (not quite as good, but still solid).
11:09 AM on 08/30/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Review is dead-on. I like the band's sound a lot, and can see they have potential, but the tunes bleed together too much and don't stand out enough.
11:10 AM on 08/30/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
That cover art is awesome, by the way :)
11:37 AM on 08/30/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
STRONGLY disagree. How does Sid get a 6 for vocals? Dude's voice is incredible. Every song on here is rock solid.
11:39 AM on 08/30/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
And it's absurd to say that "Picture Prose" has more edge than any of the songs before it. I don't even know if you listened to the first half of the record before you wrote that.
12:16 PM on 08/30/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
STRONGLY disagree. How does Sid get a 6 for vocals? Dude's voice is incredible. Every song on here is rock solid.

Thats okay, I respect your opinion. I gave him a 6 for vocals because they sounded whiny for the most part and got on my nerves. Nothing about them really stood out.

And it's absurd to say that "Picture Prose" has more edge than any of the songs before it. I don't even know if you listened to the first half of the record before you wrote that.

Thats your opinion. Why dont you write a review of the album if you are so unhappy with it? Of course I listened to the first half of the record, thats my job to listen to the entire album. Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean you have to take a jab at me and basically insult my review. Instead of bitching, write your own review and post it for people to read.
12:18 PM on 08/30/07
ThatGirl
Tell me a secret.
User Info.
evan youre biased he recorded your bands album. and hes your friend. meh. i still havent gotten into yearling and ive seen them how many times now? cant say as I disagree too much with this review.
12:52 PM on 08/30/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Thats okay, I respect your opinion. I gave him a 6 for vocals because they sounded whiny for the most part and got on my nerves. Nothing about them really stood out.

Thats your opinion. Why dont you write a review of the album if you are so unhappy with it? Of course I listened to the first half of the record, thats my job to listen to the entire album. Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't mean you have to take a jab at me and basically insult my review. Instead of bitching, write your own review and post it for people to read.

But to say the twangy song with an entire chorus of falsetto is the first edge on this album when there's more edge in any of the first 5 songs is just not correct.
04:02 PM on 08/30/07
ofthejungle
Watch out for that tree!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Rich, thank you for taking the time to listen to the record and for writing the review. We truly appreciate you and Absolutepunk.net for taking the time to check us out!

It is evident from the opening paragraph you are discouraged by the idea of another “Pop-Rock” record and find little value in the tone and engineering work put into this self produced/recorded effort. We respect your opinions but hate that the reader is swayed from the start by personal bias against an entire genre.

All things aside, we hope you, and anyone else, keep up with the band as we are constantly working on our music and look forward to things to come!

PS – If you don’t have the record, you can check out a few of the tracks here www.myspace.com/yearling or www.purevolume.com/yearling
04:09 PM on 08/30/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
I love you George
04:23 PM on 08/30/07
Pete Grizzle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i'm in yearling and while the review seems a little biased, it sounds honest. and i agree with some of the things he said.

bottom line, we're proud of our record, but even more excited for people to hear the next one.
05:16 PM on 08/30/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
These comments are great.
05:44 PM on 08/30/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Rich, thank you for taking the time to listen to the record and for writing the review. We truly appreciate you and Absolutepunk.net for taking the time to check us out!

It is evident from the opening paragraph you are discouraged by the idea of another “Pop-Rock” record and find little value in the tone and engineering work put into this self produced/recorded effort. We respect your opinions but hate that the reader is swayed from the start by personal bias against an entire genre.

All things aside, we hope you, and anyone else, keep up with the band as we are constantly working on our music and look forward to things to come!

PS – If you don’t have the record, you can check out a few of the tracks here www.myspace.com/yearling or www.purevolume.com/yearling

Thank you for the comment! I am sorry if you got that impression, I didn't mean it to come off as me hating pop-rock. I actually like the genre (in moderation), its just that lately all of the releases I have been reviewing were of that genre so when there is a little break between those releases with those of another genre it makes it more apperant to how alot of the bands have a similar sound. Although I didnt explicitly mention the production, I did give that a rather high score in comparison to the other categories. Thank you for taking the time to comment the review and I am always willing to listen to a band's future efforts.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums