AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Finding Windemere - My Getaway Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 9.06
Lyrics 8.81
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.31
Average: 88%

Finding Windemere - My Getaway

Reviewed by: speakhandsforme (08/30/07)
Finding Windemere - My Getaway
Record Label: Standby Records
Release Date: May 9, 2006

Few things seem to be able to dictate my gag-reflex like the modern scene for pop-punk garage bands. It seems if a band of the pop-punk persuasion is any good, their arrival and sustained presence on the grand scale can be expected like the rising of a morning sun. Just over one year ago, I found myself attending a very small show in the town of Carlinville, Illinois. I was there with some friends to watch and support some good local bands. In that tiny building (no more than 20 by 40 feet), I stumbled upon a relatively popular melodic pop-punk band from Dayton, Ohio named Finding Windemere. Already laced with sweat from their pre-show ritual (cruising in their van with the heat on full blast, summer or not), they assembled a five-song live set that completely blew me away, along with the company with which I was attending the show. They started the show with a fast, fun track entitled, "It Takes Two to Tango," that addressed such issues as womanizing and, of course, dancing. To avoid commentating on the concert's entirety, I'll fast forward to their last song of the night, "Another Summer Night." One of my favorites off the album, it's a solid pop-rock song, including solid musicianship and catchy group-vocals, with lyrics concerning nostalgia, inspirational philosophy, and wanting to relive those Friday nights of yesteryear. Though amazed, I would not have thought then that I'd be looking back on that night (of more than music, too, mind you) with the damp-eyed half-grin that I do now.

Now, I've seen many pop-punk bands play in my day (Saves the Day, New Found Glory, The Academy Is..., Fall Out Boy) but this group put forth some of the catchiest songs and one of the tightest live performance I have ever seen. With tight instrumental execution, near perfect vocals, and limitless stage charisma, the group’s live set would even exceed their impressive studio product. Utilizing beautiful lyrics that render even the hardest listener prone to lapse into reminiscence, the group brings poetic greatness to an already solid compilation. Now, these lyrics that I speak of do not have especially "intellectual" or metaphoric value that you might want or expect from groups like Brand New, Say Anything, or The Receiving End of Sirens, but they do have those instantly appealing pop-punk lyrics that you can always directly relate to. From slow, mellow ballads like “Settle Down Kid,” to fast, energetic tracks like “It Takes Two to Tango,” Finding Windemere’s My Getaway rivals some of the better albums on the vast pop-punk spectrum.

Several months ago, the group broke up, leaving in their wake one of the catchiest and undoubtedly under appreciated albums I’d ever seen created. From arguably today’s most productive genre has come yet another gem to be added to the unorganized pile of CDs residing on my nightstand that frequent my stereo. The availability of My Getaway is certainly dwindling, and I cannot stress how highly I recommend picking up this treasure while you still can. It is available for $5 with FREE shipping here.

Recommended if you like: The Academy Is…, Number One Fan, Spitalfield

MySpace | Buy now

"Don't look into those eyes and try to make sense of it...because everything you are is confident" - Settle Down Kid

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
03:01 AM on 09/02/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
in no way, shape, or form does this band deserve a 90% on this album...
06:50 AM on 09/02/07
punchkid
User Info.
these guys were one of the best "unknown" talents that I've seen / heard. The CD doesn't give their live show justice - listen to their demo on their myspace that Joey Sturgis did, its sooooo good. The CD / song writing / vocals is amazing minus the studio production. But you'll get over that once you catch on to this CD. Miss these guys <3
07:40 AM on 09/02/07
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
interesting review...I'll check em out
11:08 AM on 09/02/07
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
User Info.
Yeah, but....the band you sing for is, well, god awful. Please don't think this is the only reason I find your opinion below the norm of credibility. How about we try to project an actual reinforced belief instead of simply posting an ignorant statement that contradicts a pretty thought-out review on my part.
01:15 PM on 09/02/07
danceXcore
User Info.

hate to break u the news bud.. but um ur absolutely fucking retarded. This cd is in my top 10 cds of all time. these guys are my friends and im a huge fan of what they did. and what they did was bring back real music to a scene of screaming, chugging fagget kids that just bought squire strat paks and call themselves metal.

f-dub was one of the best things to happen to the dayton scene and if given the right opportunities would have blown the eff up in the music scene in general.
12:38 AM on 09/03/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
Yeah, but....the band you sing for is, well, god awful. Please don't think this is the only reason I find your opinion below the norm of credibility. How about we try to project an actual reinforced belief instead of simply posting an ignorant statement that contradicts a pretty thought-out review on my part.
Honestly, that was completely unnecessary. I never said the band or album wasn't good. However, 90% is an incredibly high rating for an album that ranks well lower than other 90% or higher rated albums on AP. Also, my album nor band is being reviewed, therefore it is completely fair to say that your "opinion is below the norm of credibility" because there is no link between my band and the album being reviewed. There is a comment box feature on album reviews for a reason. If I want to give a one sentence comment in response to an album review, I shouldn't have to justify my band or myself in any way.
12:50 AM on 09/03/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
hate to break u the news bud.. but um ur absolutely fucking retarded. This cd is in my top 10 cds of all time. these guys are my friends and im a huge fan of what they did. and what they did was bring back real music to a scene of screaming, chugging fagget kids that just bought squire strat paks and call themselves metal.

f-dub was one of the best things to happen to the dayton scene and if given the right opportunities would have blown the eff up in the music scene in general.
Thanks for the news, bud, but I think it's "fucking retarded" to attack somebody because of their opinion on a certain album. Just because this CD ranks in "your top 10 cds of all time" doesn't justify a 90% rating on an album. Personally, I think this CD is a good album, which is why this is fucked up. My opinion is that this album is a decent album that would rank more around an 80% because the music is nothing revolutionary. It is not music that will change the industry or influence countless bands. It's well produced pop-rock that is easy on the ears and done well.

On another note, I agree that it is nice to hear some music that isn't cookie cutter scene hardcore. However, describing kids who play cookie cutter hardcore "screaming, chugging ******s" is fucking retarded. Your point would have made just as much sense and would've looked a hell of a lot more intelligent if you simply wrote "this band brought diversity to a scene filled of cliche hardcore".
10:53 AM on 09/03/07
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
User Info.
Honestly, that was completely unnecessary. I never said the band or album wasn't good. However, 90% is an incredibly high rating for an album that ranks well lower than other 90% or higher rated albums on AP. Also, my album nor band is being reviewed, therefore it is completely fair to say that your "opinion is below the norm of credibility" because there is no link between my band and the album being reviewed. There is a comment box feature on album reviews for a reason. If I want to give a one sentence comment in response to an album review, I shouldn't have to justify my band or myself in any way.
I am guessing you are the one responsible for the 0.25 ratings across the board? I hope you've realized that you being an asshole lends reason to other people to be assholes too. Don't get your panties in a bunch when some of them are better at it than you.
06:16 PM on 09/03/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
I am guessing you are the one responsible for the 0.25 ratings across the board? I hope you've realized that you being an asshole lends reason to other people to be assholes too. Don't get your panties in a bunch when some of them are better at it than you.
I didn't rate this album at all and you suck. I'm too lazy to argue with you, so take your profanity and go attack someone else's opinion.
09:15 PM on 09/09/07
theshareef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's fuuuun, catchy and shit. The cheesy riffs would be pretty sweet live in a small venue. On the minus the vox sound like a cross between CIWWAF and those sort of pop-generic styled tenors. It'd definately be killer live, I have to admit, but I'm not sure it's not a 90% effort man.

Also, I've never heard the other dude's band but discrediting him because they suck is pretty silly. Roger Ebert is a man of class and taste but I bet he can't direct or act on the level of the people he critiques.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS