Username
Password
Video News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Video
Inside AP.net

Dance Kurt & Matt Dance Video + Show Review

Posted by: Jack Appleby (02/19/12)
Watch video of Dance Gavin Dance with Matt Geise (Lower Definition) and Kurt Travis (A Lot Like Birds) in the replies, and read my review of their set here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
11:44 AM on 02/19/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Review ExcerptIt was with Geise where the question marks arose, as covering Jonny Craig proved to be no easy task. At the lower end of Craig’s range, Matt easily delivered, with “Spooks” and “Pounce Bounce” coming through strong. Results varied on tracks that required those signature Jonny highs. The classic “Lemon Meringue Tie” wasn’t close, and... read more.
11:52 AM on 02/19/12
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
In response to your blog comments, I've only ever seen them once - I think their first tour with Kurt? (someone can correct me, was Crime in Stereo, The Chariot, and Poison the Well) Anyway, I remember thinking then that Mess and Kurt had great energy, but the rest of the band were pretty stagnant - although I remember that night being more annoyed by their insistence to break up the set's momentum with constant tuning and monitor adjustment requests.
11:57 AM on 02/19/12
liarsenic678
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I cant wait till Feb 27th in Dallas!!!!!!! I think by then Geise will have figured out all of his vocal parts, he only had two weeks of practice.
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
In response to your blog comments, I've only ever seen them once - I think their first tour with Kurt? (someone can correct me, was Crime in Stereo, The Chariot, and Poison the Well) Anyway, I remember thinking then that Mess and Kurt had great energy, but the rest of the band were pretty stagnant - although I remember that night being more annoyed by their insistence to break up the set's momentum with constant tuning and monitor adjustment requests.
Yeah, Kurt and Jon (and Geise, who's a great frontman) definitely do a good job, but after watching all of A Lot Like Birds rock out, I wanted to see energy from the full band. Josh Benton and Will Swan barely do any switching, so I want to see them moving.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Needs WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more happiness.
12:01 PM on 02/19/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Needs WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more happiness.
I was hoping for the title track from "Happiness," but "NASA" was extremely well done. The band has a lot of must-play songs, and I think Happiness gets shafted for the ____core stuff live.
12:03 PM on 02/19/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
I was hoping for the title track from "Happiness," but "NASA" was extremely well done. The band has a lot of must-play songs, and I think Happiness gets shafted for the ____core stuff live.
Yeah, the title track is my favorite DGD song and happiness is the only album by them I still listen to. Glad I caught them during that era since they clearly aren't going back to that kind of live show anytime soon
12:13 PM on 02/19/12
MonstarGibson
...spin 'round carousel..
User Info.
I'm not understanding this Matt guy. Is he supposed to be a significant vocalist? From the videos, it seems his "range" is non-existent.
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
DGD is the only band I'm ok with having that many members on stage at the same time.
Also, who is playing bass? Glad they got rid of that other guy he was so boring to watch live.

Jon improves every time they tour and the band sounds way better as a whole than at Warped. Jonny just needs to go and have Matt replace him.
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Two of my friends went to this last night, wish I did, but ah well.

I remember seeing DGD with Kurt awhile back and Matt came out for his guest spot during Rock Solid. Perfection.
12:24 PM on 02/19/12
mrnubnub
User Info.
I saw DGD with Kurt before, it was fantastic. I actually really liked when they played older songs with him singing.

This Matt guy doesn't seem to be doing that great of a job but he did just start the tour so it might take some time to adjust.

Also guest vocal spot in Rock Solid is really cool, they just didn't do that when I saw them
12:51 PM on 02/19/12
ylightflight
yung rug munch
User Info.
Perfect setlist:
1. Thug City
2. And I Told Them I Invented Times New Roman
3. Alex English
4. Buffalo!
5. Swan Soup
6. Lemon Meringue Tie
7. Don't Tell Dave
8. Antlion
9. Spooks
10. Happiness
11. NASA
12. Hot Water on Wool
13. It's Safe to Say You Dig the Backseat
14. Uneasy Hearts Weigh the Most
15. Strawberry Swisher Pt. 1
16. Surprise! I'm From Cuba, Everyone Has One Brain
17. I'm Down with Brown Town
18. Carl Barker
19. Pounce Bounce
20. Blue Dream
21. People You Know
Encore:
22. Elder Goose
23. Me and Zoloft Get Along Fine
24. Tree Village
25. Purple Reign
12:54 PM on 02/19/12
joeycYDG
Your rational mind's insane
User Info.
Really wish Kurt was still with these guys.
12:57 PM on 02/19/12
TenSpeed
User Info.
I don't know about this matt guy. I don't know who else they would get as a vocalist. I really just want this band to keep being a band, but I don't really have any real solution to the whole problem of how they can't keep a fucking lineup together.

I've just got this rock. ROCK SOLID.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums