Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts.
12:21 PM on 02/23/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can dig it. May be some backlash from the Tides fans, but the guy can write songs. I'd be surprised if the rest of the tracks were as bouncy anyway.
07:13 AM on 02/24/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm sorry but this post is so far from the truth I just couldn't resist the urge to set the record straight.

People hate this song because it is freaking terrible, not because it's not Tides of Man. It's hilariously ironic that you use the Skrillex analogy to make your point as well because Sonny's songwriting is equally bad.

This sounds like Breathe Carolina covered Cascada (whoever mentioned Owl City is insulting Owl City; I might even be insulting Cascada), and I'm almost positive BC doesn't even use as much autotune and vocal modification as this track does. Tilian's naturally appealing voice is tainted beyond recognition by all the heavily distorted backing vocals and that ridiculously superfluous surface layer of autotune on the main vocals. It makes me sick. The man can sing, leave his perfectly acceptable voice alone. It's an insult to his talent.

Not only is the songwriting generic, it's downright banal, and is a perfect example of the stagnant state of top 40 single-driven pop. The conventional wisdom is that you can spend a minimal amount of cash and/or effort on a terrible product and then juice it up with artificial ingredients to make it appealing. Fortunately in this situation we aren't dealing with top 40 where the listeners just take whatever they're spoon-fed. Tilian's previous (and current) engagements have proven that he's on a higher musical level than this tripe, and most people on this site who are into Tilian's scene don't have the mainstream music press and radio's wool of ignorance pulled over their eyes regarding the nature of radio pop and its integrity relative to music in general. There's no one to fool, and assuming the rest of Tilian's album is what we'd expect from him, this song is going to create a big gaping crater in its overall worth. I can tell you right now people are going to buy the album and delete this song.
I like it.

No, it's not what I expected at all, but hey, it is catchy. And based on the studio updates, I think the other songs will have more appeal to fans of Tilian's past work.

But this track is what it is: absurdly catchy pop. He sounds great. I'm willing to bet this is the most sugary track anyway.
07:18 AM on 02/24/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't believe catchiness should be the lone criteria for what makes a song good, but that's just me.
Of course not. I enjoy his tone, the melody, and the beat, among other things. It's an incredibly straight-forward song, but it works for me.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests