AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Inside AP.net

On the Cover--Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (09/19/07)
This past Tuesday marked the release of New Found Glory's From the Screen to Your Stereo II, an album of cover songs from motion pictures. Cover albums are nothing new; examples such as MXPX's On the Cover, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Thrice's Bamboozle 2006 cover of Brand New's "The Quiet Things The No One Ever Knows," and the entire Punk Goes... series demonstrate how prevalent cover songs have been and still are within the punk/emo/alternative genre.

However, that's not to say that covers are limited to the particular taste that this site caters to, as cover songs span all genres. Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah," Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower," and Madonna's "American Pie" are all examples of how the cover song is not limited to any genre. As long as an artist can put their own spin on it, a cover song is possible.

We at Absolutepunk.net would like to know--what are your favorite cover songs? What are your least favorite cover songs? Why do your favorites succeed and why do your least favorites fail? Perhaps you like Johnny Cash's rendition of "Hurt" because he makes it his own by reinterpreting the song as his own pain rather than Trent Reznor's and giving it a completely different definition. Maybe you don't like Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal" because you don't think Michael Jackson can or should be replicated. Whatever it is, we'd love to hear it.

For the second part of this question, we'll go from the actual to the hypothetical. What possible cover songs do you think would be successful? What band(s) do you think can take a certain song and own it in a way that Goldfinger did with "99 Red Balloons?"

Let your imagination run the gamut, but give reasons why you think it would work well. Who knows, if Children of Bodom can successfully cover "Oops I Did It Again," your ideas may not be that outlandish. With the right reasoning, you could argue that Cursive could make a fantastic cover of Blues Traveler's "Run Around."

What bands would you put on the cover?

Remember, if you ever have any topic you’d like to see as a Thursday Discussion question, leave a comment detailing what you'd like to see in my blog.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 226.
09:05 PM on 09/19/07
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
I love when NFG and TSL do cover songs
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
Ray Lamontagne's cover of "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is the best cover i've ever heard. that is all.
modachewga34
User Info.
im all about incubus's cover of Big Pun "Still not a playa"
09:06 PM on 09/19/07
Brandon Allin
Rented World
User Info.
It's cheesy, but I've been waiting for some sort of group to cover Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry." While I don't particularly like the song all that much, there's something about the vocal patterns and melodies in that track that lead me to believe it would make for an excellent alternative cover.
09:07 PM on 09/19/07
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
User Info.
I'd love to see "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal covered. Entertaining possiblities for the cover, in my opinion, would be Circa Survive, TREOS, or YouInSeries.
09:09 PM on 09/19/07
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
Copeland's covers are pretty good; and the Punk Goes... series is usually enjoyable.

It's cool to hear a band's spin on songs you wouldn't usually listen to.

It's cheesy, but I've been waiting for some sort of group to cover Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry." While I don't particularly like the song all that much, there's something about the vocal patterns and melodies in that track that lead me to believe it would make for an excellent alternative cover.

That's actually not a bad idea for a cover if it's done right.
09:11 PM on 09/19/07
AsianMan696
Asian Invasion
User Info.
Bitches Ain't Shit by Ben Folds...is just amazing
09:11 PM on 09/19/07
Finch076
I don't actually listen to 'Finch'
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't remember who did the original, but the Bright Eyes cover of "I woke Up With This Song In My Head This Morning" was incredibly well done.

FEIST, though. Her album containing numerous covers was amazing.
09:12 PM on 09/19/07
Thug_Nasty
www.GridPins.com
User Info.
i want to put a bullet in my head whenever i hear manic monday by relient k
09:12 PM on 09/19/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks to Brandon Allin for the topic idea.
09:13 PM on 09/19/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Quote:
What band(s) do you think can take a certain song and own it in a way that Goldfinger did with "99 Red Balloons?"
Perfect example of a fantastic cover. Another great one - Say Anything's "Jesse & My Whetstone."
09:13 PM on 09/19/07
grimis16
User Info.
i always liked, "build me up" from never heard of it. And of course "99 ballons" and "hurt" are great. Though i really dont like the new NFG mainly because i dislike most of the original songs.
09:14 PM on 09/19/07
musicalxchaos
beauty in the breakdown
User Info.
I've always loved when Andrew of Soco/JM did covers, with either band. His cover of Tom Petty's "American Girl" sticks out in particular, but he always does a fantastic job with whatever he chooses to cover -- and he usually picks amazing songs to cover as well.
09:14 PM on 09/19/07
britneyyyy
User Info.
I really like Midtown's covers of Sister Golden Hair and Your Love
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News