Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up: March 30th, 2012

Posted by: Jason Tate (03/30/12)
We're re-booting the Technology Round-Up with some help from new contributor HeyImNic. Head to the replies to read this week's big stories in the tech-world.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
03:10 PM on 03/30/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The internet goes down tomorrow? Anonymous is planning to shut down the internet.
“The Anonymous hackers can certain cause local pockets of disruption, but these disruptions are going to be localized to networks where their attack machines are located, or where their ‘reflectors’ are located”, said Robert Graham of Errata Security. “It’s unlikely they could take all of them down, at least for any period of time. On the day of their planned Global Blackout, it’s doubtful many people would notice.”
Google is planning to sell tablets directly to consumers.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Google will open up its own online store, where it will market and sell tablet devices directly to consumers. In an interesting twist, it's said that the company won't actually manufacture any of the offered hardware itself, instead leaving that duty to partners (Samsung and Asus are both named).

MG Siegler's take: Here, and here.
BlackBerries are not long for this world.
RIM has confirmed it's moving its focus away from the consumer handset market following huge losses – leading to the firm pinning its hope on the business user once more.
Apple and Foxconn agree to drastically improve working conditions
Foxconn has agreed to meet FLA and Chinese legal codes by July of 2013, including cutting the number of monthly overtime hours from 80 to 36. To compensate for the lost work hours the manufacturer will boost wages and plans to hire thousands of new workers to help maintain current production levels.
Will the Playstation 4 be called the… Orbis?
The PS4 is a reality and its name will be Orbis, according to sources close to the situation. There's been much rumour and conjecture over what we will see in the next PlayStation but the latest rumours are the strongest yet – suggesting the PS4 will be called Orbis and it will not be backwards compatible with current PS3 games.
Fake IDs are about to be 86'd
Facial-recognition platform Face.com could foil the plans of all those under-age kids looking to score some booze. Fake IDs might not fool anyone for much longer, because Face.com claims its new application programming interface (API) can be used to detect a person’s age by scanning a photo.
Steve Jobs thought Siri's name sucked.
You can't be Siri-ous – Presumably that's what Steve Jobs said of the name Siri which he apparently did not like. But Dag Kittlaus, who co-founded Siri, said Jobs stuck with Siri because he couldn't come up with anything better.
Harry Potter casts a spell on ebooks
JK Rowling has finally taken a tip from Professor McGonagall and transfigured the Harry Potter series from print books to ebooks. Yes, that's a rather convoluted way of saying that the Harry Potter ebooks have finally been released DRM-free so you can enjoy them on any ereader you fancy, although you will have to buy the ebooks from the Pottermore shop.
Google Has Profited Four Times More From iPhone Than Android
Android generated less than $550m in revenues for Google between 2008 and the end of 2011, if figures provided by the search giant as part of a settlement offer with Oracle ahead of an expected patent and copyright infringement trial are an accurate guide.

The figures also suggest that Apple devices such as the iPhone, which use products such as its Maps as well as Google Search in its Safari browser, generated more than four times as much revenue for Google as its own handsets in the same period.
Twitter’s Pull-to-Refresh Patent
Twitter owns the common "pull to refresh" patent gesture used in hundreds of apps.
Android Phone, Or Condom?
Naming a product is difficult. Branding legend Marty Neumeier says that good product names have 7 characteristics. They should be distinctive, short, appropriate, easy to spell and pronounce, likable, extendable, and protectable. Looking through this list of Android names, it’s clear that many marketing teams disagree with Marty.

Here’s a simple rule: if your product isn’t a condom then don’t name it like one. What am I talking about? Let’s take a look…
Sparrow for iPhone Released

Facebook Timeline Now Mandatory
In the first week after Timeline for Pages launched 8 million Pages voluntarily switched over, but limited early data showed the migration significantly reduced the rate at which big pages were gaining fans. But data from Wildfire’s much more comprehensive study of 43 brands had rosier results.
More Consumer Reports Sensationalism
Any reasonably competent, well-intentioned writer or editor would assume that most people reading this would think the new iPad gets hot, implying severe discomfort and a significant flaw that will affect nearly everyone who uses it, rather than merely warm, which would imply an occasional minor inconvenience for the few people who might notice and care.
Facebook Preparing for IPO in May
Mark Zuckerberg turns 28 on May 14th.
Square Is Trying To Take Magic Mainstream
With Pay with Square, Square is ditching the wallet metaphor (of Card Case) and simplifying things to just be a list of venues of interest that are close by. At first, I was a bit surprised by this change because I liked the design and the card metaphor (which is still sort of in place). But this actually makes a lot more sense. Don’t cater to the baggage of the past, replace the past.
Editor's Note: Feel free to add any stories in the replies you thought were big this week. The relevant threads from around the website are: Official Apple Thread, Official Google Thread, Microsoft, Windows, Zune, XBox (Official Thread), Facebook (Official Thread) -- check those out for great nerdy conversations throughout the week. I added in some other articles, commentary, and blog posts I found interesting around the internet as well. Oh, and you can follow @NicVargus on twitter and me @jason_tate.
03:29 PM on 03/30/12
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
It's back! Finally.
03:33 PM on 03/30/12
mwheeler1987
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes! I love Technology Round-Ups.
03:43 PM on 03/30/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Most importantly:

"Google’s Self-Driving Car Makes Its First Trip To Taco Bell"

http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/03...-to-taco-bell/
03:46 PM on 03/30/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Most importantly:

"Google’s Self-Driving Car Makes Its First Trip To Taco Bell"

http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/03...-to-taco-bell/
Did Taco Bell have to sign up for Google+ first?
03:52 PM on 03/30/12
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
finally...ive been missing this roundup in my life. and anyone that still uses outdated shitboxes called blackberries is failing at life. haha
03:56 PM on 03/30/12
irthesteve
User Info.
Did Taco Bell have to sign up for Google+ first?
what's Google+ ?
03:59 PM on 03/30/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Facebook's less attractive hipster cousin?
04:21 PM on 03/30/12
irthesteve
User Info.
Facebook's less attractive hipster cousin?
Part of me feels bad for Google and this being basically the 3rd social network failure, but at the same time there really isn't anything enticing about the service that Facebook doesn't do, so it's their own faults
04:47 PM on 03/30/12
Alex_supertramp
Happiness only real when shared.
User Info.
hmm I figured the news about Best Buy would make it but I suppose I can just post it here instead for those curious.http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-restructuring
05:05 PM on 03/30/12
heyimnic
A pretty neat dude
User Info.
hmm I figured the news about Best Buy would make it but I suppose I can just post it here instead for those curious.http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-restructuring
It could have been a pretty negative week with bad news from Best Buy, RIM, and the invalidity of the tacocopter.
05:07 PM on 03/30/12
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
I appreciate the return of this
05:37 PM on 03/30/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
It made the front page yesterday.
07:03 PM on 03/30/12
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
That face recognition software sounds really interesting.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests