Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 62
02:24 PM on 04/10/12
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
She is the absolute worst. I hate her on the show. She came off like such an entitled brat in one of the episodes, if she's the same one I'm thinking of. Had no idea she was in Automatic Loveletter (oop at me).

Team Christina!
02:24 PM on 04/10/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
I can't support glorified karaoke. Besides, why are people who have been on major labels allowed on these shows? They've had their chance.
Automatic Loveletter never had much success, and were dropped from Sony years ago.
02:29 PM on 04/10/12
kianacarly
User Info.
I can't support glorified karaoke. Besides, why are people who have been on major labels allowed on these shows? They've had their chance.
Just because they've had small success in the past doesn't make they've ever been able to branch out or go anywhere. It's bs that on other shows, if the contestant had a record that nobody bought like seven years ago then they're not eligible. Although I do hate when that backup singer contestant always talks about wanting to step out of Alicia Keys' shadow, but then mentions her all the time.

I think they should be allowed to audition and be on the show if they've not gained much success in their past ventures. And being widely known on AP doesn't really count... (though I don't know who Automatic Loveletter are anyway)
02:30 PM on 04/10/12
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Wow... You people saying this was good.. haha
02:36 PM on 04/10/12
Yontsey
This Awkward Silence / Dustin
User Info.
I wouldn't say she was unsuccessful. She's played here in Cleveland at the House of Blues headlining. She's also toured with Craig Owens not to mention drawn large crowds at Warped Tour. It's not like she's a tiny band. She's had her shot.
02:51 PM on 04/10/12
kianacarly
User Info.
I wouldn't say she was unsuccessful. She's played here in Cleveland at the House of Blues headlining. She's also toured with Craig Owens not to mention drawn large crowds at Warped Tour. It's not like she's a tiny band. She's had her shot.
Okay, but the majority of people don't know who she is or have ever heard of her. Being known around AP or being known in her genre of music doesn't make her super successful. Sure, she's obviously not a total flop, but she's still pretty much a nobody outside of all that. I just thought she was an arrogant try-hard when I saw her on the show, and I'm sure the majority of viewers weren't familiar with her either

edit: Oops, sorry, I don't mean to be stalking you in this thread lol. I'll stop now.
02:56 PM on 04/10/12
Yontsey
This Awkward Silence / Dustin
User Info.
Okay, but the majority of people don't know who she is or have ever heard of her. Being known around AP or being known in her genre of music doesn't make her super successful. Sure, she's obviously not a total flop, but she's still pretty much a nobody outside of all that. I just thought she was an arrogant try-hard when I saw her on the show

edit: Oops, sorry, I don't mean to be stalking you in this thread lol. I'll stop now.

Lol it's fine. I enjoy a good debate. I hear what you say by saying she's just known around AP or the genre, but it's not like the genre/community is small anymore. Bands from this genre sellout 5k venues regularly. Not saying she's at that level but it's not like this community is a small sliver of the music audience anymore. Hell, I heard Marianas Trench on XM20 which is the KISS top charts station.
03:06 PM on 04/10/12
kianacarly
User Info.
Lol it's fine. I enjoy a good debate. I hear what you say by saying she's just known around AP or the genre, but it's not like the genre/community is small anymore. Bands from this genre sellout 5k venues regularly. Not saying she's at that level but it's not like this community is a small sliver of the music audience anymore. Hell, I heard Marianas Trench on XM20 which is the KISS top charts station.

I honestly am not familiar with her band so I don't know how successful they are. I just know the name from seeing them posted on this site from time to time. I've never heard anyone in the Official The Voice Thread or on the other site I frequent that happens to discuss The Voice from time to time even mention that she was in a band before. If they mentioned it on the show I must've missed it. I could maybe see your argument applied to when Dia was on, since I think more people were familiar with Meg & Dia, but I really don't know who this nobody is, and I don't think most people do either. If you asked a bunch of randoms on the street who Automatic Loveletter are or who Juliet Simms is, I think very few of them would know, if any.

Yeah, she has more platforms and connections available than the average Joe whose only played in coffee shops or their garage, but at a certain point some artists kind of hit a ceiling where they try and try, and even put out a quality product, but just can't make it as big as they'd like. I think that's where The Voice can come in, bring them to the next level, and get them a ton of exposure they would not have had otherwise.
03:12 PM on 04/10/12
jenijennjen
User Info.
I'm glad she is finally getting the attention she deserves, she has an amazing voice. She was awesome last night!
03:15 PM on 04/10/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
What I don't get about Juliet is how every single time Tony's name gets mentioned they bring up the fact that he was a Mouseketeer, but I don't think Automatic Loveletter has even been mentioned at all during the show? Is that because the producers are trying to hide the fact that she already has an established band from the masses? Or Juliet not want to advertise it for some reason?
03:20 PM on 04/10/12
kianacarly
User Info.
What I don't get about Juliet is how every single time Tony's name gets mentioned they bring up the fact that he was a Mouseketeer, but I don't think Automatic Loveletter has even been mentioned at all during the show? Is that because the producers are trying to hide the fact that she already has an established band from the masses? Or Juliet not want to advertise it for some reason?

No, I think they can probably choose if they want to discuss it. I know the guy I mentioned earlier in the thread is a backup singer for Alicia Keys and they even showed a video of her wishing him luck. I definitely don't think they care about hiding their contestants' past successes. They always mention Tony Lucca and last season when that one woman was on Broadway.

I figured they bring up him being a former mouseketeer because he has that interesting connection with Christina, and like five people who started out there have gotten big, so it definitely doesn't hurt to mention it.
03:23 PM on 04/10/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
No, I think they can probably choose if they want to discuss it. I know the guy I mentioned earlier in the thread is a backup singer for Alicia Keys and they even showed a video of her wishing him luck. I definitely don't think they care about hiding their contestants' past successes. They always mention Tony Lucca and last season when that one woman was on Broadway.

Right, that's why its weird there is no Automatic Loveletter mention. Why wouldn't Juliet want to be open about the fact that she is in a decently successful band? Afraid that unlike with Tony Lucca, her story isn't so much "past star looking for one last shot at glory" as it is "Already somewhat popular girl looking to reach even higher heights"? I mean, everyone loves an underdog story. It just makes me wonder if we are not getting the full story of Juliet how many of the other contestants are hiding stuff too.
03:28 PM on 04/10/12
kianacarly
User Info.
Right, that's why its weird there is no Automatic Loveletter mention. Why wouldn't Juliet want to be open about the fact that she is in a decently successful band? Afraid that unlike with Tony Lucca, her story isn't so much "past star looking for one last shot at glory" as it is "Already somewhat popular girl looking to reach even higher heights"? I mean, everyone loves an underdog story. It just makes me wonder if we are not getting the full story of Juliet how many of the other contestants are hiding stuff too.
Eh, I don't remember Dia mentioning Meg & Dia a ton either. Maybe she figures that her fans already know who she is, she wants to make a new name for herself, or she just doesn't feel the need to namedrop it? I don't know. I don't know why the contestants would hide stuff, because again, I don't think anyone really cares.
03:30 PM on 04/10/12
kevinjordan
This Wild Life - Kevin
User Info.
Hory cow!
03:35 PM on 04/10/12
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
User Info.
She's definitely mentioned that she's been dropped from various record labels/deals. And I think being a Mouseketeer/ associated with Alicia Keys has more name recognition to the average TV viewer than being in a broken up scene band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos