AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Evergreen Terrace - Wolfbiker Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.38
Lyrics 6.13
Production 8.31
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.44
Reviewer Tilt 6.56
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Evergreen Terrace - Wolfbiker

Reviewed by: Shatter590 (10/04/07)
Evergreen TerraceWolfbiker
Record Label: Metal Blade
Release Date: July 24, 2007

I normally have a bit of disdain for bands that name themselves after pop-culture references. I don’t know if it is lack of creativity or an open ploy for recognition, but I feel these bands worry more about image and popular recognition than anything substantial (this means you, Atreyu). Such was my initial impression of Evergreen Terrace about four years ago. For those of you who don’t know, Evergreen Terrace is the name of the street in Springfield where the Simpsons live. And much like Atreyu, Evergreen Terrace have taken a liking to the faster, harder things in life - chugging chords, growling, shouting and a surprisingly large infusion of melody into their metallic hardcore leanings.

Most people on this site probably heard of this band from an episode of MTV’s Made a few years ago, when a self-professed hardcore girl wanted to be turned into the prom queen. Everything aside, she gushed openly over how much she loved this band, and predictably, they began to attract a following. I had actually known about the band for some time by that point, having met their drummer at a show, where he gave me a copy of some earlier recordings. Needless to say, at the time I disdained screaming and wrote the band off. Recently, after reading some glowing reviews of their newest album, Wolfbiker, I decided to snag a copy and give them a decent chance.

At first listen, Wolfbiker sounds like every other metalcore album out there right now. It starts with a loud, guttural scream “This is the curse!”, followed by furious riffage. What follows is bar after bar of the same fierce riffage and screaming, overlaid with pounding drums, a nearly unidentifiable bass line and yet more screaming. Indeed, the opening track “Bad Energy Troll” is all of one prolonged scream and riff combination, not out of place at all, but also expected. And if the rest of this album sounded like the opener, it would easily be yet another piece of uninspired loud music.

Fortunately, this is not the case. Only moments into the second song “High Tide or No Tide,” the entire atmosphere changes - the singular chug of the guitar is paired with more melodic fare, and the screamer changes tune during the chorus, wailing like the best of them. And here is where Wolfbiker begins to show its strength - ferocity, melody and harmony, all mixed in with riff after riff, enough to get your heart pumping and your body jumping. “High Tide or No Tide” is followed by “Chaney Cant Quite Riff Like Helmet’s Page Hamilton,” which opens with gang vocals and blasts into overdrive within seconds.

Often tongue in cheek, the song titles and lyrics are unexpected within a genre that thrives on analogies of death, mayhem, and aggression. Evergreen Terrace take in everything: politics, humor, throw downs, victory chants, and melds them into something more. Between heavy breakdowns there is a sense of depth and maturity that is often unfound within a style of music that emphasizes screams and often unintelligible lyrics over one long chug after another. And this is perhaps the band’s greatest strength. While not trying to re-envision themselves or their music, they give it something more without actually changing anything.

Metalcore is a singular genre, where bands either loved or hated, usually based on who they sound like, who their idols are, or how they dress and present themselves. Evergreen Terrace should not be viewed in this way. They are a band that has talent, intelligence and gusto, a trifecta not often seen in music in general, let alone loud rock. In between the bars of ferocity and pounding drum beats, there exists something more - maturity maybe, progress definitely, and enjoyment most certainly. These guys love what they do, and they do it well. And in music that can often be more about image, and lacking passion, Wolfbiker brings to the table energy and power, wrapped up in a musical sucker punch that will catch you off guard and remain in your head for days, if not longer.

Suggested Tracks"High Tide or No Tide" "Chaney Can't Quite Riff Like Helmet's Page Hamilton"

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
10:00 AM on 10/06/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
I liked this review, nice job. I would've rated it slightly higher, maybe an 80-82. I feel like this record is more melodic than their older records, with the song Starter being a perfect example, but it's also the heaviest record too. Plus the production on this cd is so good, it almost makes it difficult to listen to Burned Alive By Time.
10:47 AM on 10/06/07
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
I liked this review, nice job. I would've rated it slightly higher, maybe an 80-82. I feel like this record is more melodic than their older records, with the song Starter being a perfect example, but it's also the heaviest record too. Plus the production on this cd is so good, it almost makes it difficult to listen to Burned Alive By Time.

i never know what my ratings are going to average until the review actually goes up lol.

i like this albim, it makes me want to check out their other stuff. but on its own, I think its really solid and enjoyable. im going to see them tonight, so lets see where that goes lol
10:57 PM on 10/06/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
i never know what my ratings are going to average until the review actually goes up lol.

i like this albim, it makes me want to check out their other stuff. but on its own, I think its really solid and enjoyable. im going to see them tonight, so lets see where that goes lol

Definitely check out their other stuff. I think you'd enjoy Sincerity Is An Easy Disguise In This Business because its pretty similar to this cd, whereas their older stuff is most definitely more hardcore. Enjoy the show, i'll be seeing them tonight in RI woo.
12:37 AM on 10/07/07
On24Seconds
Oath That Keeps Me Free
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quite possibly my favorite band out there at the moment. They have an absolutely sick live show, Andrew's vocals are at this level where you just hear your brain kind of shake inside your skull when he hits big. The primary backup vocalist is Craig (who sings the cleaner vocals on each album) is consistently getting better with time and on top of this the band is choosing to use Josh (Casey Jones's lead singer, Evergreen Terraces 2nd guitar) a lot more in order to put a little more depth into the vocals.

The production values have become a lot better with each album, but I still find that Losing All Hope Is Freedom and Burned Alive By Time are really great and listenable albums, I enjoy each Evergreen Terrace record to be honest and I don't think they've put out anything that anyone shouldn't be proud of.

The big part that shines about this band other than the sick live shows is definitely the song writing, between Andrew/Craig/Josh writing the lyrics they've come up with amazingly deep and introspective lyrics, a lot of the time you don't get the chance to reflect on what they're saying because it's loud screams hitting you in the face, but just read the cd inlets and check their lyrics out, I think you'll be really impressed with the creative depth put into each song (the titles are also typically interestingly ironic when put together with the lyrics, sometimes giving away the meaning of the song, sometimes not, but always in an entertaining way).

As you can read, I like this band a lot. Just saw them wednesday in d.c., and again, they killed. Great guys.
06:25 AM on 10/07/07
TwilightEpidemi
Ain Soph
User Info.
i loved this albulm. but, i think that even though you liked it, you still went into listening to the cd with a biased opinion about it. all the things describing the first song about how its generic were in fact the things that make hardcore music amazing. if u dont like this music, then of course your gonna lean towards the softer songs, which are amazing too, but thats not what evergreen is about. it takes someone who enjoys this music too really point out the flaws in it. and most people will argue that chugging breakdowns are not a flaw. im not saying that u dont enjoy this cd, im just pointing out that maybe dont mention u despise the genre in a review of a cd in that genre.
02:03 PM on 10/07/07
Shatter590
User Info.
i loved this albulm. but, i think that even though you liked it, you still went into listening to the cd with a biased opinion about it. all the things describing the first song about how its generic were in fact the things that make hardcore music amazing. if u dont like this music, then of course your gonna lean towards the softer songs, which are amazing too, but thats not what evergreen is about. it takes someone who enjoys this music too really point out the flaws in it. and most people will argue that chugging breakdowns are not a flaw. im not saying that u dont enjoy this cd, im just pointing out that maybe dont mention u despise the genre in a review of a cd in that genre.

i dont despise the genre at all. i own quite a few metalcore/hardcore/whatevercore albums. i just didnt find Bad Energy Troll to be that good a song. I thought it was extremely generic and less creative than any other tracks on the album. It felt out of place to me, which is probably why I didnt really feel it. Flow in an album is extremely important, and this song didnt fit into it. if i hadnt been the opener, i think it would have broken the energy of the album as a whole.
02:05 PM on 10/07/07
Shatter590
User Info.
also, they killed last night. it was simply perfect, their entire set. i got a copy of buried alive by time, and so far im liking it.
03:19 PM on 10/07/07
On24Seconds
Oath That Keeps Me Free
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
See, on the one hand I do think Bad Energy Troll isn't one of the stronger tracks on the album, however I think it fits in nicely as the opening track because it just kicks it all off so well, it's high energy and it immediately just starts the heart.

Glad you enjoyed their show though, they really put on an awesome one. They don't have a lot of flare which is what I really love, they go out there to kick ass and kick ass they do. They keep the energy up the whole time and bring the crowd in constantly (their songs really help in this fashion, Andrew is always putting the mic in the crowd, which is awesome). What I found really amazing about their recent show in D.C. was how consistent Kyle (the drummer) was, he just nailed every song in the set perfectly. It's honestly just a fun experience every time I see them, always come out of it happy.

Glad you're liking Burned Alive By Time, No Donnie These Men Are Nihilists, Funeral Grade Flowers and Dear Live Journal are great tracks. Pick up Losing All Hope Is Freedom and Sincerity Is An Easy Disguise In This Business; I'm almost sure you'll be pleased. Writer's block is also pretty solid and wildly entertaining, great cover choices (Mad World, Plowed, Kids Aren't Alright, Knowledge = great covers).
05:38 PM on 10/07/07
Shatter590
User Info.
See, on the one hand I do think Bad Energy Troll isn't one of the stronger tracks on the album, however I think it fits in nicely as the opening track because it just kicks it all off so well, it's high energy and it immediately just starts the heart.

Glad you enjoyed their show though, they really put on an awesome one. They don't have a lot of flare which is what I really love, they go out there to kick ass and kick ass they do. They keep the energy up the whole time and bring the crowd in constantly (their songs really help in this fashion, Andrew is always putting the mic in the crowd, which is awesome). What I found really amazing about their recent show in D.C. was how consistent Kyle (the drummer) was, he just nailed every song in the set perfectly. It's honestly just a fun experience every time I see them, always come out of it happy.

Glad you're liking Burned Alive By Time, No Donnie These Men Are Nihilists, Funeral Grade Flowers and Dear Live Journal are great tracks. Pick up Losing All Hope Is Freedom and Sincerity Is An Easy Disguise In This Business; I'm almost sure you'll be pleased. Writer's block is also pretty solid and wildly entertaining, great cover choices (Mad World, Plowed, Kids Aren't Alright, Knowledge = great covers).

my friend bought writers block lol, were gonna share.
06:53 PM on 10/07/07
On24Seconds
Oath That Keeps Me Free
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
See, gotta check out the rest of their stuff too, we'll make a fanboy out of you yet!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums