AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:29 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
Male - 21 Years Old
I honestly don't think I've heard a single song from 21CB... didn't even know it came out until I looked at their wiki. Just thought they've had one long ass break since AI. Should be interesting though.

Ignore the haterz, 21st Century Breakdown is awesome. "21 Guns", "American Eulogy", "Know Your Enemy", "Murder City" and "East Jesus Nowhere" are worth the price of admission alone.
06:35 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah, 21CB isn't bad at all. I hate the sequencing, and there's definitely some bloat there, but there are a lot of great songs.
06:38 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
electricism
I guess I'm biased or something. I really don't like the direction they took after Warning. I like my Green Day to play bratty punk songs, not stadium rock anthems.
06:40 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I guess I'm biased or something. I really don't like the direction they took after Warning. I like my Green Day to play bratty punk songs, not stadium rock anthems.

See what I liked about 21cb was that it pretty much went back and referenced all of their eras and sounds. There was a lot of AI on there, but there was a lot of Warning too. I never thought of most of that record as "arena rock"
07:56 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Greg
21st CBD was just too long and too similar to AI to me. the filler killed the record as a whole. I really wanted to like it. even the best songs on the record are only okay. I would take anything over the 21st songs.
08:46 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
CoheedForever
The Afterman
Redding Ca
Male
Not a really "fan" of Green Day, the only album I have listened to all the way through is American Idiot and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nothing else has clicked for me though. But I'm pretty intrigued by this three album thing.
09:28 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I don't really get the similarity between American Idiot and 21cb, beyond the obvious fact that they were both rock operas. As for solos, I always loved the title track, "East Jesus Nowhere," "Peacemaker," "Murder City," "Restless Heart Syndrome," and "American Eulogy," and "21 Guns" was a great single. I remember that someone on my facebook feed last year called "21 Guns" the worst radio hit of the 00s, which just completely baffled me, because I could think of literally thousands that were much, much worse.
09:32 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
I thought 21 Guns was crushingly mediocre. Especially when you compare it to Wake Me Up When September Ends, which is probably its American Idiot counterpart.

I don't think it is anywhere near the worst radio hit of the 00s, but I think it is an extraordinarily average song.
09:56 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Greg
I thought 21 Guns was crushingly mediocre. Especially when you compare it to Wake Me Up When September Ends, which is probably its American Idiot counterpart.

I don't think it is anywhere near the worst radio hit of the 00s, but I think it is an extraordinarily average song.
exactly. a lot of the songs were just average. not terrible. just nothing special.
10:20 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Baines on Toast
This is reinvention
England
Male - 24 Years Old
The last time I listened to Green Day was in High School, I was 14. They didn't make a lasting impression on me, I thought there were other 'punk' bands at the time who had superior music and a superior message e.g NOFX, Bad Religion. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is because the 3 CD idea is naturally going to make you sit up and take notice. That said, I think this will be a load of jarg, lots of filler and little killer.
11:27 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
I hope this is good stuff. Otherwise, the best tracks should combine for a great mix.
11:39 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member

Ehhh, I don't think "Wake Me Up" was any better, at least not by a lot. Both were extraordinarily repetitive pop songs. "Wake Me Up" was one of the weaker cuts on AI, while "21 Guns" was in the middle of the pack on the record that followed, but as far as I'm concerned, neither are great and neither are bad. I actually quite enjoy the bridge of "Guns."
11:44 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtřrst
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
I just hope that this album is their last "big epic rock opera epic epic epic omg!!" album. Shrug. I loved American Idiot but 21st Century Breakdown was mostly pretty forgettable. It had some really good songs though, mostly the title track.

I guess I hope they ditch the rock opera shit because with the fact that this is a triple disc record and how bloated 21CB was it's like they feel the need to put every song they record on the album to make it as "epic" (hate that term) as possible. They're clearly still capable of writing good songs they just need to reel it in a little.

Part of what made American Idiot so enjoyable for me was its uniqueness in their catalog. Then they tried to repeat themselves with 21CB and didn't do nearly as good a job. I dunno, just my stupid take on it, I'm sure there's still gonna be a good number of songs from each of these discs I wind up enjoying so whatever.
11:59 AM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
The MO!
Male - 30 Years Old
I just hope that this album is their last "big epic rock opera epic epic epic omg!!" album. Shrug. I loved American Idiot but 21st Century Breakdown was mostly pretty forgettable. It had some really good songs though, mostly the title track.

I guess I hope they ditch the rock opera shit because with the fact that this is a triple disc record and how bloated 21CB was it's like they feel the need to put every song they record on the album to make it as "epic" (hate that term) as possible. They're clearly still capable of writing good songs they just need to reel it in a little.

Part of what made American Idiot so enjoyable for me was its uniqueness in their catalog. Then they tried to repeat themselves with 21CB and didn't do nearly as good a job. I dunno, just my stupid take on it, I'm sure there's still gonna be a good number of songs from each of these discs I wind up enjoying so whatever.
I agree with 21CB, it has a few solid tracks on it, but just didn't resonate for me. I get the feeling that at least for one or two of these albums that they're not going for the rock-opera stuff. Nothing they've played lately has suggested that's what they're leaning towards, outside of Billie Joe's quote, which just sounds like Billie Joe.
12:00 PM on 04/12/12 
User Info.
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
Male - 21 Years Old

I think it's a great song, the verses are the best part of the song. The live version is better though because they add piano to the bridge which surprisingly makes the song even better. Maybe it's one of those songs you need to see live to appreciate.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos