Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 34 posts.
06:04 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
The scores on this site are too high!!!!1

Just kidding...excellent review, Tom. Higher than I would have rated it (some parts drag on a bit), but a definite step up from Vheissu.
Yeah, I like it better than Vheissu.
06:39 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
a very hard review to tackle. very impressive - this was a great read. now if only my pre-order would come in. i love this cd
you're telling me. This one took me a while.
08:49 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I'm sorry but it's a little suspect that my review of this album posted last Friday has some uncanny similarities. Not just this but there are a few other little observations in the absolutepunk review that are ridiculously similar to those in the sputnik one. Don't believe it? Read for yourself: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=13824

With that said, pretty good review.
I didn't even read your review. I personally think Refused's masterpiece is one of the best produced albums ever and therefore the benchmark that I base unique production on. When I make a claim that the production adds to a piece, that album is immediately what comes to mind. I respect your thoughts and appreciate your comment, but I assure you I didn't even read your review until you just posted this.
09:09 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I believe you then. We can chalk up the similarity to coincidence or "great minds..."

Do you have the remastered dolby dvd audio The Shape of Punk to Come? I only have my audio cd copy. I'm curious if the surround really does expand the album that much.
haha, yeah I do actually. It's really good. I normally don't get stuff like that, but I had to. "The Deadly Rhythm" sounds nuts. That album single handedly changed how I look at production.
09:30 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
first off, nice effort on the review, tom. although, i must say that your avatar is quite annoying (sorry, it just is).

why the hell is the member album rating only at 75%?! that's bullshit. the concept, arrangement, and follow-through of this album is waaaaay above the average band on here. who is bringing that rating curve down?

and the lyrics should be a 10, no doubt in my mind. again, the depth, vocabulary, and themes of the songs' lyrics are on a different level than the average punk-pop band on here. c'mon.
haha thanks man. I was gonna change the avatar soon anyway, then maybe you'll like me. I think the lyrics are awesome too, but a 9 is a ridiculously good score out of 10.
03:31 AM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
One album that did it for me was Worship and Tribute. The production on that album isn't immaculate in terms of mixing or anything like that, but more in the choice and execution of tones. Every layer on those Pro Tools files sounds like a lot of love went into figuring out which tone would be perfect at any given time. There's also sort of a reverse causality too because Glassjaw are probably the most talented band I can think of at manipulating tone in their composition. "Stuck Pig" uses feedback and mute notes to create pitch content, not just as ambient noise, which is pretty insane for a major label post-hardcore band.
Yeah, that is a great album. The guitar tones are really pretty great. I love way the guitars trickle in the chorus to "Radio Cambodia". It sounds like birds or something.

yeah, i hate to sound so negative, but these two cds really kinda disappointed me. still good stuff, but i had set my hopes a little too high for this release.

i really can't wait to hear Earth...gotta wait a couple months.

EDIT: after listening to these two EPs for the last two hours straight, i think they are both starting to grow on me.
Give it time. Vheissu took me a while to get used to.

*clears throat*

more like TOMMMM REMARKABLEEEEEEEE
hahahahaha
03:53 AM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review, Tom, I have to say this is your best yet. I hope my preorder comes today...
Thanks bud, I appreciate it.
04:32 AM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
What other good albums came out today?
moros Eros, jimmy eat world and steel train are all out today
04:30 PM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Production- 9.5?????????

This review just lost all merit. If it had any to begin with at all.
Because of one score? Did you even read it? I respect your opinion, but what's wrong with the production? I'm just curious to get some more input.
07:17 PM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
i think your score is fair, its definitely not as good as vhessiu, but still good. Fire was awesome right away but water took 5 or 6 listens for me to get into because at first i thought the songs were all too slow, but it has grown on me. I'd give fire a 95 and water a 90
See, that's how I felt. The Fire disc was pleasing at first, and while the water album took a little longer to get into, I know that it will stay with me longer than the fire stuff will. The Messenger is amazing though.
07:23 PM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I hear Abs Punk has gay sex with Punknews.org.

Good review. After my first listen, I'm a little let down. But, Water > Fire.
Give it some time. I wasn't floored with it at first. It took driving around in my car with it for a while before I finally got into it. I like it way better than Vheissu now.
09:01 PM on 10/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Still haven't gotten it yet? It's funny because some preorders come BEFORE the album comes out. My Say Anything apparently shipped from merchnow today, which is earlier than I expected.
03:48 AM on 10/17/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Nice review Tom. I quite enjoyed this record first listen though, especially the Water EP
Thanks buddy. Yeah I agree that the water disc is better.
03:52 AM on 10/17/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I hate to say this... I almost never question the decision someone makes about music, because I realize that there's hardly anything at all that is truly objective, but I feel like if this album really doesn't do anything at all for you, you're simply not giving it enough of a chance. Maybe you're a fan of the old stuff, fine, but you have to at least appreciate the musicianship, the creativity, the lyrics, the melodies... gah, overload. Seriously, though: if you're really not getting this, let it sink in a little bit, then make up your mind.

As a side note, good review. What does everyone think about the idea that it's basically impossible to really review this until we hear air and earth? Amazing as it is, it's still not complete.
Trust me...it IS a hard album to review. It's funny because the comments turned out about how I figured they would. Half of the people love the cd and half of the people hate it. It really is a polarizing album depending on your views of Thrice and well, other different kinds of music.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests