Username
Password
Line-up Change News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Line-up Change
Inside AP.net

Funeral For A Friend Drummer Leaves

Posted by: Andy Biddulph (05/22/12)
Original drummer Ryan Richards has left Funeral For A Friend. He will be replaced by former Rise To Remain drummer Pat Lundy. Ryan has written an open letter to fans which you can read in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
04:56 AM on 05/22/12
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Message from RyanHey everyone

After ten wonderful, enriching, emotional and fascinating years being a part of Funeral for a Friend - I've decided to hang up my drum sticks (or at least put them in a box, which is probably more practical).

As the old romantic cliche' goes - 'it's not you, it's me'. Being in this band has made each and every one of my dreams come true (bleeeurgh..I know) and I thank all of you for being part of that.

I've come to the age of 32, which I've always considered the age at which most footballers become rubbish, so it felt like a good age to bow out.

I've always put music first in my life - but the time has come now for my family to take the top spot, after patiently waiting and supporting me for the last 10 years and more.

Although this has been a really tough decision, it's been made infinitely easier through the support and understanding of Matt, Kris, Gav & Rich - who I wish all the success their talents and hard work deserve.

I'm also stoked to have my good friend Pat Lundy step into my vacant drumstool and to take things to the next level.There's not a better drummer than Pat for the job, and I hope you make him feel as welcome as you made me for the last 10 years.

I'm leaving the band, but I'm glad to say that I'm still living and breathing music full-time as an artist manager, alongside some of the great people who have been instrumental in the career of FFAF from day one.

So yeah...that's it from me.Thanks for listening - not just today, but for the last 10 year.

05:05 AM on 05/22/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
I enjoyed their first couple of records. Glad to see him leave on good terms. For every one split like this there seems to be a bunch filled with drama. Can't blame him for wanting to give his family more attention.
05:15 AM on 05/22/12
JamesMichael
Fight Fuck Regret
User Info.
Really gutted about this. For anyone that didn't know Ryan also did the screaming on all the albums so its a huge loss for Funeral.
05:27 AM on 05/22/12
AussieBoy
User Info.
Really gutted about this. For anyone that didn't know Ryan also did the screaming on all the albums so its a huge loss for Funeral.

Possibly the next most pivotal member after Matty (singer)
But family first aye.
Devo mate. But
They'll survive
05:36 AM on 05/22/12
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
I wonder who will also take his vocal duties, or will they stick to their cleaner side.. Anyway, thanks to Ryan for his input into this amazing band! Seen them live few times here in Poland, always good times. FFAF means a lot to me so I wish all of them good luck!
06:02 AM on 05/22/12
Sinkytown
Slowking
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Seems like a lovely gent. They're gonna need someone to scream live at the very least. I loved that he was brought to the fore again on the latest record.
06:12 AM on 05/22/12
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
He was a musical idol to me. Screaming and playing drums. He was also a really nice guy when I got the chance to meet the band. Cool dude. I wish him all the success in the world though.
06:43 AM on 05/22/12
JamesMichael
Fight Fuck Regret
User Info.
Possibly the next most pivotal member after Matty (singer)
But family first aye.
Devo mate. But
They'll survive

Definitely family first! Its just a real shame.

They came back better than ever after Darran left but I just feel Ryan's gonna be a hard gap to fill for the band. I always thought his screaming was pretty distinctive. I'm meant to be seeing them Saturday and hopefully Ryan will be there for a last show.

It must have been pretty sudden news as Ryan was with the band recording the new album which is meant to be coming out this fall. As for whos doing the screaming now? Who knows. Theres been no news on Pat (the new drummer) taking over the roles there.

Either way I have a lot of respect for Funeral as they were one of the first heavier bands I got into when I was younger and pretty much paved way for the Post-Hardcore scene here in the UK.
07:00 AM on 05/22/12
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
I didn't particularly like the direction after Darran left so the fact that Ryan has left as well just makes me concerned about their future. Ryan's sections were the highlights of 'The Young and Defenseless'
and 'Welcome Home Armageddon for me. Up until this I was looking forward to the new album, but I'm feeling less and less convinced that this record is going to regain my interest in them especially when a few years ago they were one of my favourite bands in the genre.
07:52 AM on 05/22/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
can't be mad at him for leaving with the reasons he gave. much respect. Thanks for the great music over the years.
08:01 AM on 05/22/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Gonna listen to Hours all day now.
08:35 AM on 05/22/12
Christrings
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Shame he's out but I'm glad he left on good terms, awesome drummer and guy.
08:46 AM on 05/22/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Hopefully he plays the dates of the Slam Dunk festivals this weekend. Would be good to see him on sunday for one last time.
08:51 AM on 05/22/12
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Shame to see him go. Very underrated drummer, but I have total respect for his reasons. Music wise I do think Matt could probably cover for his vocals and the new guy is apparently a really good drummer, so yeah.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests