AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Consequential Apathy: There is No Exclusive. There is...

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (06/01/12)
Today I explore the "exclusive" side of viral marketing. You can read my thoughts on the death of scavenger hunts and fan-only e-mails here. Do you think the quick spread of information on the web has ruined fan-targeted viral marketing? As a fan of a band who figured out a scavenger hunt or puzzle to hear an anticipated album or song stream, do you feel cheated when you worked hard for the prize, only to have someone take the end result and post it everywhere? Are you lazy like me, and just wait for someone else to figure it out? Is viral marketing in general a thing of the past?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
07:47 AM on 06/01/12
Rodeo
User Info.
Most music videos are made with viral marketing in mind these days. Patent Pending reminded me of that a few days ago.
07:55 AM on 06/01/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Most music videos are made with viral marketing in mind these days. Patent Pending reminded me of that a few days ago.
good point.

i guess the niche focus of viral marketing with this piece is the "exclusive" characteristics about knowing about content because you're a fan with "special access" or "knowledgeable access" and how long that lasts before it reaches the general public.

also, sweet fuckin' avatar!
08:02 AM on 06/01/12
Rodeo
User Info.
good point.

i guess the niche focus of viral marketing with this piece is the "exclusive" characteristics about knowing about content because you're a fan with "special access" or "knowledgeable access" and how long that lasts before it reaches the general public.

also, sweet fuckin' avatar!

Thank you!

And I completely agree with you. I participated in the Thursday / Google Earth hunt as well as a few others over the years. I have also previously worked for Streetwise, Fanscape, and a few others running street team campaigns. It's a fine line of fan interaction / getting everyone involved and breaking fan trust. If the game doesn't have a great pay off, that is a huge let down and it will affect fans' emotions towards album, video, announcement, etc.
08:10 AM on 06/01/12
bedwettingcosmo
User Info.
Quote:
Are you lazy like me, and just wait for someone else to figure it out?
yes
08:16 AM on 06/01/12
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Nine Inch Nails and AFI did the best scavengers, everyone else annoyed me to be honest
08:18 AM on 06/01/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
A couple months ago someone on here linked me to that AFI one. Holy shit. That's all I have to say.
08:27 AM on 06/01/12
James Shotwell
User Info.
Viral marketing as a solely internet-based idea is a dying breed, but the concept itself will never go away. One of the struggles with the age of sharing information digitally has always been keeping secret things secret, especially in the age of blogs, and as I see it there really is no cure. The public demands, or at least is lead to believe they demand a continually increasing ability to cut/copy/paste/share/repost/retweet/pass around things they find interesting with no regards for citing of sources or giving due credit for effort. The only way to go around that is to limit the ability for the information to be shared, like the way Alternative Press has begun using that (IMO shitty) music player for all their exclusives which prevents embedding and requires users link back to the original site.
08:57 AM on 06/01/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Personally, I like the fast spreading information. I enjoy getting updated on band activity and doing little puzzles and stuff to get me excited for the album. I pre-ordered MeWithoutYou's album because I had heard a couple songs read an early review and loved the album art. I think the speed of information actually encourages me to pre-order music when 2-3 years ago I wasn't buying any music at all.
09:22 AM on 06/01/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Backing this post.

However I would do scavenger hunts and things of that ilk for some bands - The Gaslight Anthem, The Wonder Years, bands that I either really really love or that are very good with fan interaction.
09:52 AM on 06/01/12
CoreyHeat
Teen Heat
User Info.
It's spelled "Zuul"
09:52 AM on 06/01/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
99% of the time viral marketing is employed by bullshit bands anyway, so I don't really care.
10:14 AM on 06/01/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
If you really want exclusive content for huge fans only, instead of having your puzzle direct people to an album stream (boring anyway), how about a geocache where a copy of the album is hidden. If you want to hear that shit, get out there and dig for it! Hide a few throughout the country. That could be fun.
10:35 AM on 06/01/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
If you really want exclusive content for huge fans only, instead of having your puzzle direct people to an album stream (boring anyway), how about a geocache where a copy of the album is hidden. If you want to hear that shit, get out there and dig for it! Hide a few throughout the country. That could be fun.
That's what Nine Inch Nails did a few years ago. The best viral campaign ever in my opinion.
10:39 AM on 06/01/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
That's what Nine Inch Nails did a few years ago. The best viral campaign ever in my opinion.

Hahaha. Just goes to show how much I care about these things. I know next to nothing about what goes on in the world of music beyond the actual records themselves. For me, everything else is sort of inconsequential.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests