Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
"wrong"
10:06 PM on 06/04/12
sammyboy516
User Info.
disagree with almost everything haha

Yeah there's very little in this review I agree with.

ugh i dont agree with a word of this.

I'm assuming you all are saying that you like the album more than Thomas does?
10:07 PM on 06/04/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Correct. Even with the almost-decade-old standing of Commit This to Memory as one of my favorite albums of all time, this really might be their best work.
10:10 PM on 06/04/12
Mochem
User Info.
I'm pretty sure this is the first time that I have incorrectly guessed the general rating for a review on this site before clicking to read it. At least recently.

Still haven't heard the album though. As long as I like it a little more than MDL (which I would probably give a 6.5 or 7/10), I'll be satisfied.
10:10 PM on 06/04/12
sammyboy516
User Info.
Correct. Even with the almost-decade-old standing of Commit This to Memory as one of my favorite albums of all time, this really might be their best work.
Yeah I agree. When people who heard the leak were saying it was a slow album I got a little scared, but I don't think it's slow at all. Maybe a little slower than some of their earlier stuff, but it's still pretty fast paced. I love every song on the album. I could easily see this becoming my favorite MCS album.
10:11 PM on 06/04/12
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
obviously.
10:13 PM on 06/04/12
sammyboy516
User Info.
Haha I realize it sounded like a dumb question but the review is fairly neutral - he liked the album but doesn't think it's their best work. I wasn't sure if people were saying they disagreed and thought it sucked or that they thought it was great.
10:13 PM on 06/04/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
The band is so good that the difference between their best and worst is relatively minimal. I'm worried this review will be taken as me not liking the album - I don't like it as much as most people but I still like it. Like I said, to me, it's my least favorite of one of my favorite band's discography.
10:14 PM on 06/04/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
I don't get why you say that Motion City Soundtrack isn't a 'best' or 'worst' album band, and then you call Go the worst album, putting "least favorite" in quotes.

I can pretty safely say this is my second favorite album by these guys though. Playing the fuck out of it.
10:15 PM on 06/04/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
This is the first MCS album I actually enjoyed a lot.
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I don't get why you say that Motion City Soundtrack isn't a 'best' or 'worst' album band, and then you call Go the worst album, putting "least favorite" in quotes.
It was pretty difficult to get that point across but
I think I did it as well as I could.
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
I agree with this review, though I don't agree with people saying you're "wrong." It is, after all, your opinion and I think many of us wanted this album to be great so badly that it was tough for us to truly be critical.

And two people have said it's better than EIIKM, which to that I say BLASPHEMY!
10:17 PM on 06/04/12
blinkATL-182
User Info.
I disagree but I see where you're coming from. I can see people who were in love with MDL not really getting into this, but I feel like GO was the record that was supposed to come after Even If It Kills Me. It's known that MDL was recorded strange with the drums being recorded last. I'm not saying MDL is the record that MCS didn't want to put out but I feel that could have impacted the sound we got out of that record. I could be completely wrong and MDL could've ended up sounding like that anyway. I personally love this record. Only songs where this album loses me is "True Romance" and "Son of a Gun" but as Thomas implied in a tweet it's still so much better than other stuff out there.
10:18 PM on 06/04/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I haven't listened to this album enough to say whether or not I agree with the review, but are people really complaining about a 7/10 and a comment that it's Thomas' least favourite?
You'd all be jizzing yourselves if Pitchfork gave it a 7/10 (not that they'd review it of course).

So many reviews on here point out flaw after flaw with an album and then give it an 8.5/10 it shouldn't be surprising that people view a 7, which should mean a record is great but not outstanding, as a failure.
10:20 PM on 06/04/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
The band is so good that the difference between their best and worst is relatively minimal. I'm worried this review will be taken as me not liking the album - I don't like it as much as most people but I still like it. Like I said, to me, it's my least favorite of one of my favorite band's discography.
It's not how much you like it that bugs me. Obviously no two people like a record the same way. But I just disagree with how you assess their other albums, the individual songs on this record, the band's strengths and weaknesses, etc. For example, I think "Son of Gun" is one of the best songs in their catalog, and don't find "Happy Anniversary" or "Boxelder" flawed at all, but one of the songs you single out as the best ("The Worst Is Yet to Come") is easily the weakest in my eyes, and the one that sounds the most like a B-side from earlier records. And you single out two lyrics, both on the witty end of the spectrum, and don't touch on how he balances that with devastating confessions. In fact, you dwell almost entirely on the superficial end (how poppy it is), but don't touch at all on how much darker the subject matter is. Etc.

None of this surprises me. You value certain aesthetics, especially those of pop-punk, that just don't resonate the same with me. And the aspects of pop music I treasure haven't seemed to be things that matter to you based on past reviews/comments. But expected or no, the fact that I disagree with a majority of the review is factual.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos