AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Falling For Alba - 10.23.03

Falling For Alba - 10.23.03

Interviewed by
Falling For Alba - 10.23.03Falling For Alba have only been around San Diego for half a year, but they have already began to establish a following in the very competetive SoCal music scene. The band's blend of Pop Punk and emotional aspects creates an exciting sound to the very played out Pop Punk scene. I had a chance to share a few words with Singer/Guitar player, Chris Bobek, about life in the Mainland, Jessica Alba, and other local SD favorites. If you are a fan of catchy, emotional Punk, Falling For Alba is the band for you!
www.fallingforalba.tk

Kamtin - Hey! How are you?

Chris - Pretty good, just got off 8 hours of work. FUN!

Kamtin - Hey, you got to make a living somehow.

Kamtin - First off, can you let everyone know who you are and what you do in Falling For Alba?

Chris - Chris Bobek and I do vocals and guitar.

Kamtin - Everyone knows that San Diego contains countless amount of bands, especially in the Punk scene. How has it been treating Falling For Alba since the move out there?

Chris - Very well actually! We push and promote alot ourselfs; we've handed out probably over 1,500 free sampler cds we burn ourselfs, so I think our name is out there. We get really good response back too. But yes, it's very hard because there are a lot of very talented bands out here. Sometimes it's hard to keep focus on getting to where we want to be.

Kamtin - I can definitely see that.

Kamtin - Well, if people didn't know, you guys moved to San Diego from Kona, Hawaii. I lived in Hawaii for 10 years and I knew how deserted music was on that island. How are things different from Kona and San Diego?

Chris - (Begins to laugh) Yeah, it has been a crazy change; definitely a good one though for our music. Waikoloa, Hawaii actually, The Big Island (where we started) is pretty shut out from most of the music scene. It's an island so it is all Reggae and local/Hawaiian style music. There isnt really any venues at all to play and there is no way to expand and progress business wise, unless you are a cover band playing in the bars. San Diego is crazy! It's all about the music and I dont think we could be in a better place to push our music or business.

Kamtin - Does the band name have anything to do with Jessica Alba?

Chris - Ha! Yeah, Jessica, man...wow! We arent phsycos or anything, she's just wow! We had probably around 30 names written down, but we stuck with that...its original. I really liked "The Good Life", "The Nine To Five", so there was a bunch of good ones.

Kamtin - I totally understand what you're saying! She is absolutely breath taking!!

Chris - Yes....

Kamtin - Right now many new bands have been coming out into the scene showing what they've got. Are there any favorites that you think are amazing?

Chris - Local bands? National acts? Ok, I got this...

Chris - Stuff I've heard lately that I like a lot is Story of the Year. Amazing! The new Dashboard CD is incredible. Yellowcard is doing really well too. I havent really been paying attention much on the national scene, but you should really check out some locals here in San Diego. No Way Out from San Diego. They are our friends...too awesome! And I really like a heavier band called Early Times, very good. Oh, Say From Charms; check them out definitely. Shit, now everyone is gonna like them and forget about us! (laughs out loud)

Kamtin - Awesome! I have actually heard of No Way Out. They're young guys, but they can definitely write some good tunes.

Kamtin - I know the band is still somewhat new, but do you guys have any label interests or touring plans in the near future?

Chris - I would love to jump on a smaller label, like Lobster or Militia Group, but we are talking to a east coast label that just started up called Tinted Amber Records, and we are interested.

Chris - It's funny. We've only have been contacted by labels that have a more hardcore vibe

Kamtin - Right on!

Kamtin - Any plans of taking the Falling For Alba tunes out to other states?

Chris - Yeah! We've been talking about shows over in Arizona, we want to go over to Colorado again after new years. And we really want to play east coast, its just a money problem. But yeah, Tinted Amber Records that we are talking to are discussing possible touring and maybe even east coast dates for us.

Kamtin - What's your attitude towards major labels? I know a lot of bands get shit for it because they get viewed as sell-outs. How would you deal with Falling For Alba getting offered a major label deal?

Chris - Wow...there would be a lot of discussion about it. I wouldn't want to be told what to do. I wouldnt want to be produced so much that our music gets lost, you know? But yeah, that would be awesome and one of our goals in the future

Kamtin - That's a really good attitude towards a situation like that.

Kamtin - Well, thank you so very much for your time! I really appreciate it. Any last words?

Chris - www.mp3.com/fallingforalba ...check us out! Much love! Thank you AbsolutePunk.net!

Chris - You fucking rule Kamtin!

Kamtin - Thanks bra!

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
01:27 PM on 11/24/03
Touched
The shy and quiet one
User Info.
Falling For Alba are good, I like their acoustic stuff best and that interview made good reading.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos