Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

The Motel Life Launches Kickstarter

Posted by: Christian Wagner (06/11/12)
The Motel Life just launched their Kickstarter asking fans to help them master their next EP, Those Bruises. Among the packages fans can purchase are a limited edition poster, comics, and the band will even come to your house for a BBQ and wash your car. The artwork was done by Daniel Fishel (The Wonder Years, No Sleep Records, Citizen).

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
12:04 PM on 06/11/12
scissrmetmbr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude seriously, these Kickstarters are getting absolutely ridiculous...

They are telling us that 4-5 guys can't afford to work for a month to make $200-$250 a piece to pay for the mastering themselves? I'm calling bullshit.

Also, without knowing how many songs they are doing and guessing it's 5 to 6 since it's an EP, I'd love to know who they are going through that charges them $1,000. I've mastered my stuff through a few different people, one being Sterling Sound from NYC, and I have NEVER paid that much per song to master a CD. Mastering costs anywhere from $50 to $150 a song depending on who you go through. If you're paying anymore than that you're either A) getting ripped off, or B) on a label and still getting ripped off.

I hate to be the negative poster but seriously bands, why is everyone so fucking lazy? Why can't we all just WORK to get the money we need to record and master our music instead of begging people for money? Kickstarter, though a great program, has really opened the doors for the world's laziest bands to sneak in and try to get free shit by doing nothing. It's pathetic and needs to stop ASAP.

I know it's not ideal, but seriously: go get a job (work at a car wash, McDonalds, a music store, etc) and just work to get the money you need to pay for these kinds of things. I can guarantee you'll appreciate your record a whole lot more, and will work harder to make it successful than if a bunch of other people pay for it and you have nothing to lose.

#mytwocents
12:28 PM on 06/11/12
SureAsRain
The Motel Life / Michael
User Info.

They are telling us that 4-5 guys can't afford to work for a month to make $200-$250 a piece to pay for the mastering themselves? I'm calling bullshit.

Also, without knowing how many songs they are doing and guessing it's 5 to 6 since it's an EP, I'd love to know who they are going through that charges them $1,000. I've mastered my stuff through a few different people, one being Sterling Sound from NYC, and I have NEVER paid that much per song to master a CD. Mastering costs anywhere from $50 to $150 a song depending on who you go through. If you're paying anymore than that you're either A) getting ripped off, or B) on a label and still getting ripped off.

I hate to be the negative poster but seriously bands, why is everyone so fucking lazy? Why can't we all just WORK to get the money we need to record and master our music instead of begging people for money? Kickstarter, though a great program, has really opened the doors for the world's laziest bands to sneak in and try to get free shit by doing nothing. It's pathetic and needs to stop ASAP.

I know it's not ideal, but seriously: go get a job (work at a car wash, McDonalds, a music store, etc) and just work to get the money you need to pay for these kinds of things. I can guarantee you'll appreciate your record a whole lot more, and will work harder to make it successful than if a bunch of other people pay for it and you have nothing to lose.

#mytwocents

For clarification, taken from our description on the Kickstarter project page: "With your help we can release the album by July. What you are supporting with your donation will be the mastering process, some of the recording cost, and final packaging for the album."
01:03 PM on 06/11/12
chrisstahl
chris
User Info.
03:36 PM on 06/11/12
Johnnydcp
User Info.

#mytwocents

I totally disagree with most of your opinions. There are some bands that totally abuse the kickstarter model and give it a bad name. I can think of numerous bands who have tried to sell a physical copy for $25 and lots of ridiculous crap like that. That sucks, and I'd encourage anyone to not support something like that.
In that way I do agree. These are the types of bands looking for charity and handouts.

You look at a band like this though, and how is this any different than a preorder? I mean, they are literally charging a dollar for the EP. I wouldn't call what they are doing begging, and with a lot of these kickstarters, fans are getting the chance to connect with bands on a more personal level.

If this band did pay for everything themselves, it would be up on torrent and free downloading sites in a week, and the band (especially a relatively small one like this) would probably not recoup their investment. Why complain about new revenue streams that can actually help bands?
07:21 PM on 06/11/12
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
ok
08:21 PM on 06/11/12
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
this band is fucking rad. "wooden hands" came up on my shuffle the other day and i just put it on repeat.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests