Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Consequential Apathy: Penetration

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (06/29/12)
If it isn't making dollars, then it isn't making sense. Tell that to Circa Survive who, this week, announced they would be self-releasing their upcoming album, Violent Waves. The band posted two limited pre-orders that gave some of us a double take on the price. Well, both those bundles are now sold out. Going along with my Thursday Discussion yesterday, I've given thought to how we value music and what we're willing to pay on a spectrum of what we have to have to, "I could jam that for $1 and not feel guilty about stealing it." My thoughts are here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
09:59 AM on 06/29/12
IceAge/HeatWave
it's never just the hefenrefer
User Info.
i wonder how the self-release worked out for mwY. they sold nearly 3000 box sets at 40 bucks a set, with each one costing (i believe) $25 a piece (i bought one, and they're spectacular collector's items). i think they said that they were designed to get them out of debt, which means that they could then tour and keep essentially all the dough they make from that and not use it to pay back the studio time, personnel, etc.
10:07 AM on 06/29/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
i wonder how the self-release worked out for mwY. they sold nearly 3000 box sets at 40 bucks a set, with each one costing (i believe) $25 a piece (i bought one, and they're spectacular collector's items). i think they said that they were designed to get them out of debt, which means that they could then tour and keep essentially all the dough they make from that and not use it to pay back the studio time, personnel, etc.
My mwY boxset got shipped to the wrong address and I am LIVID. 11Spot hasn't responded to me yet, either.
10:25 AM on 06/29/12
Halloween413
User Info.
Loving the Pedro the Lion reference. I just turned 23 today and one thing I can say is that the older you get the more respect you have for people making a living on doing what they love. Sure, Circa's bundles could be considered a little pricey for my blood but that wont stop me from buying the record. It's only $5.

In this day and age, bands let you sample a lot from the album before you decide whether or not you want to purchase the whole thing through live songs on youtube, song streams and even full album streams. If you're looking at music as a business, no other products give the consumer that much credit: "Here stream Photoshop CS6 for free! By the way it's $250, don't steal it please...I need the money to live and feed my family"
11:00 AM on 06/29/12
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Loving the Pedro the Lion reference. I just turned 23 today and one thing I can say is that the older you get the more respect you have for people making a living on doing what they love. Sure, Circa's bundles could be considered a little pricey for my blood but that wont stop me from buying the record. It's only $5.

In this day and age, bands let you sample a lot from the album before you decide whether or not you want to purchase the whole thing through live songs on youtube, song streams and even full album streams. If you're looking at music as a business, no other products give the consumer that much credit: "Here stream Photoshop CS6 for free! By the way it's $250, don't steal it please...I need the money to live and feed my family"
The second sentence...my thoughts exactly
11:31 AM on 06/29/12
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
I interviewed Circa right before they signed to Atlantic and the whole interview was about the evolving music industry scene (for a school paper). Pretty interesting read especially in hindsight.

http://absolutepunk.net/journal.php?do=showcomments&j=9422& e=101552
11:43 AM on 06/29/12
ren
on display
User Info.
I am excited to see more of these. A lot of DIY in terms of marketing, finance, business in these types of deals and I think it's great for the music business. The music business is in drastic need of something to bring recompense to the creators of the music. I'm hoping this helps Circa recoup a large part of their cost and gives them the money they need to continue to make great music.
12:13 PM on 06/29/12
CT-Tim
I Care
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Adobe does let you download Photoshop and see if you like it. The software industry has in many ways always been that way (shareware was HUGE back in the day).
12:37 PM on 06/29/12
Halloween413
User Info.
Adobe does let you download Photoshop and see if you like it. The software industry has in many ways always been that way (shareware was HUGE back in the day).
That's a good point. I forgot that you can just keep downloading trial versions if you keep changing email addresses. Sorry. A bad example, but you get my train of thought hopefully.
12:40 PM on 06/29/12
XIMBOREDOFYOUX1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My mwY boxset got shipped to the wrong address and I am LIVID. 11Spot hasn't responded to me yet, either.

same here bro, 11spot is not making this any easier to get my order either.
03:13 PM on 06/29/12
mynameisgeneric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
See this is exactly what needs to go on to really change the music industry as a whole. Fans can support artists directly now, and the dedicated fans get exactly what they've been wanting for years and the casual ones don't feel too bad about $5 for a legal copy. Sure you're always going to have your pirates, but this way if a band has a large enough dedicated fan base they can continue to make music and tour for their entire career. Everyone wins with this solution, I can't wait for more bands to take notice to this idea.

As a side note, if there was a $1,000 option to hang out with the band before/after any show on the next tour and watch the set from the stage I would have totally bought that.

Edit: And I want some motha fuckin' B-Side handwritten lyrics.
03:52 PM on 06/29/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I interviewed Circa right before they signed to Atlantic and the whole interview was about the evolving music industry scene (for a school paper). Pretty interesting read especially in hindsight.

http://absolutepunk.net/journal.php?do=showcomments&j=9422& e=101552

Great read man
04:18 PM on 06/29/12
danperez
User Info.
if circa asked for $1M, I wouldn't pay that, but I'd support their decision.
simply because they're fantastic musicians.
05:03 PM on 06/29/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I'm glad they had huge expensive bundles, the rich fans of theirs will shell out the money and the band can keep making money
10:09 AM on 06/30/12
davefalcone777
@davidgfalcone
User Info.
Still waiting on my mwY bundle and seeing these posts is making me very scared.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests