AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Teenage Bottlerocket - 07.03.12

Interviewed by
Teenage Bottlerocket - 07.03.12We got on the phone with Teenage Bottlerocket singer/guitarist Kody Templeman for an interview that’s as short and simple as the band’s fifth full-length. Thanks to the users for coming up with some of the questions:

Was the recording process for Freak Out! different from the sessions for your previous records?

It was exactly pretty much the same as we’ve always done it. Brandon will go in and record the drum tracks. Then we go in and do our parts and stuff. That’s about it, we didn’t do anything new for this record. It’s been the same since Warning Device. We write songs in between records, I’ll just get an idea and they just let themselves out. We just write it and put it out.

Do you keep it the same mostly out of comfort?

Yeah, the Blasting Room is pretty laid back. We work with this guy called Andrew Berlin who does engineering and producing. He’s one of our buddies pretty much so it’s just a really smooth process when we go in there. We just hang out and joke around, do what we need to get done. He’s married and has a kid and stuff so we’d go in early and work until 6 so Andrew could go home and spend time with his family.

Sort of on the same topic, did you make a conscious decision to use the same art for all your records?

I don’t know. Those guys did Another Way and it had that logo on it then we kept it for Total. I think somebody brought it up when we were recording Warning Device and then we sort of decided to keep going. With They Came from the Shadows we thought about changing the cover, but we never did. It’s just one of those things that’s kind of funny, I think some people kind of expect it at this point. I think it’s cool to track it by different colours, they can represent different stages of the band. Before this record came out, I had people ask me what colour this one would be.

Who designed the logo?

I think Brandon did it. I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure he did.

Why'd you choose Freak Out! as the title? Aside the the fact that it's also the title of the first track.

I don’t know, we just thought it was a simple title for a simple record. We were going to call it Summertime, but we scratched that.

What’s your favourite track on the record and why?

I don’t know, it’s hard for me to say because they’re all so good. If I had to pick one I listen to the most, it would be “In the Pit.” Just because it was the newest one that I had written before we went into the studio. But I like a lot of Ray songs a lot, like “Never Gonna Tell You.” “Maverick" is pretty funny just because, I don’t know, we’re always quoting Top Gun. We’ve had discussions about it, I think Ray and Brandon like it for nostalgic reasons, but I’ve always hated that movie. Which is kind of funny because we wrote a song about a movie that I hate so much.

What bands do you feel have influenced Teenage Bottlerocket that people don't seem to notice or comment on?

We’re into a lot of different stuff. The Cure and The Smiths and stuff like that. A lot of us like newer bands like Against Me! and Alkaline Trio. Overall we just like good poppy, I don’t know if you want to call it poppy, but good rock tunes and I think we draw our influences from that.

What else is planned for 2012?

Just touring I think, we’re just waiting for the record to come out. We’ve got a west coast tour and a northeast tour. We’re doing two Riot Fests and I think we’re doing shows with NOFX in between. I know we’re doing Fest in Gainesville later. We’re just going to focus on touring.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests