Username
Password

Album Review - Page 24
Displaying posts 345 - 360 of 365.
05:41 AM on 07/31/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I just don't get everyone who thinks this album is their worst or even go as far as calling it a snooze fest. This is seriously the best record I have heard in the last 5 years.
The same reason why some of those people don't get how you seriously think it's the best record in the last 5 years. Because we have different opinions and are exposed to different things.
01:55 PM on 08/01/12
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
Can't believe that Blue Dahlia was left off the standard tracklist.
07:30 AM on 08/05/12
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
Bought the CD yesterday and listened to it quite a few times since then. All I can say is this is definitely the most I have enjoyed a Gaslight record through so far. Its greatest songs aren't quite as great as their previous greats, but it's a more solid album throughout. It's a well-produced, well-paced album, and it's a damn good straight-up rock album.
06:36 PM on 08/14/12
Nick Kubiak
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
perfect album is right
08:53 PM on 08/14/12
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.

All I could think while reading that.
Funny, what got me was "he/she". I mean, was he not aware that Thomas was a dude?
06:47 PM on 08/16/12
EffigyOMA
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I decided to listen to this album because of the buzz and holy crap, I feel like I showed up really late to an awesome party.

I'm 27 now, I don't expect music to blow my mind anymore. However, as long as bands like Gaslight Anthem exist there will always be new, compelling music for those of us approaching our 30s to love.

There's also one important thing to note that these guys exemplify: punk rock grew up sometime in the past 5 years and it still manages to be just as cool as ever. It's smarter and it seemed to stop fighting the world and started to find a way to make the most of it. I agree with the review. This album is a masterpiece.
06:51 PM on 08/16/12
EffigyOMA
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bought the CD yesterday and listened to it quite a few times since then. All I can say is this is definitely the most I have enjoyed a Gaslight record through so far. Its greatest songs aren't quite as great as their previous greats, but it's a more solid album throughout. It's a well-produced, well-paced album, and it's a damn good straight-up rock album.
For what it's worth, I've just been introduced to Gaslight so I've got the unique perspective of being able to look at '59 Sound and Handwritten with the same amount of familiarity with the band. '59 sound has a handful of songs that are better than anything on Handwritten; however, every song on Handwritten is excellent. So what you do prefer? An album with 4 A+ songs, 2 A songs, and 6 songs in the B- to B+ range vs. an album with 11 A songs?

I'll take the 11 A songs. This is an album you start at track 1 and never bother pushing skip.
07:11 PM on 08/19/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I mean, still my favorite album of the year. I love it.
My local record store (in South Australia, couple hours from the city) didn't have it so I bought it off the interwebs, still refusing to listen to the stream. It took THREE WEEKS to arrive, and got to my door last Friday. Worth the wait, even if it took a few years off my life. YOUR REVIEW DID NOT HELP REDUCE MY ANTICIPATION. If I go bald soon you might hear from my lawyer.

Anyway, to the album.

1. Not a bad track. Desire may be my least favourite at the moment.
2. Too much blood is my early favourite. So much to like, and different to a lot of their stuff in subtle ways.
3. Much less calculated than American Slang, which is still good nevertheless. helps me enjoy this more.
4. May just replace On The Impossible Past as my AOTY. Hasn't yet left my car CD player and won't anytime soon.

EDIT: 5. '59 Sound is still better.
07:17 PM on 08/19/12
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
Desire and Howl are the only songs on here that I'm not that into, really. Kinda scream "filler tracks" to me.
09:29 PM on 08/19/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I love "Desire," but at only 2 minutes long, I don't see how "Howl" could be considered filler...it barely fills anything.
10:30 PM on 08/19/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I just wish Blue Dahlia was in the original track list, song is so killer
06:08 AM on 09/17/12
GautamT
User Info.
I don't know what it is, I've loved all their albums, been a fan since Sink or Swim but so far the album hasn't done much for me, maybe i need to listen to it more, sure there's some really good songs, but it's not hitting me like Gaslight used to. Well, still hoping something in my head is going to click while listening to it again
12:22 PM on 09/20/12
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
I just wish Blue Dahlia was in the original track list, song is so killer
I'm a little late with this reply, but I wanted to come in a say the same thing. I feel like Blue Dahlia serves as a better closer than National Anthem. That string of Mae - National Anthem - Blue Dahlia is absolutely beautiful.
01:35 PM on 05/23/13
richcasper
User Info.
This is such a well written article in every aspect. There really isn't much left to say. Long live The Gaslight Anthem...
01:41 PM on 05/23/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i think blue dahlia ended up being my favorite song from this album and it isn't on this album
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests