AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Thrice News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dustin Kensrue Posts Update on The Modern Post

Posted by - 12:57 PM on 08/15/12
Dustin's posted an explanation on twitter about his new project, The Modern Post.
From the PostThe reason I want to make this clear, is that it would be sad to think that some of you would think that I am "going Christian," meaning, making poor music just for Christians, and ceasing to make music that engages with culture at large. I assure you that I hate the Christian art ghetto more than most, if not all of you. As I see it, Christians should make good art, that shows forth truth and beauty for all, or make art that is for a specific purpose within the church. Making subpar cheesy art for Christians to consume comfortably is a tragedy for everyone.

Submitted by rawspinner

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57
01:00 PM on 08/15/12
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
Bad link. Good explanation.
01:03 PM on 08/15/12
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
preach.
01:05 PM on 08/15/12
ACA
Next Show: Glass Animals @ Philly
User Info.
Thank god he is wisest enough to understand brands and went away from Thrice with this.

I don't agree with his views, but then again, I'm not 31 with a wife and kids. I'm glad I can always proudly wear a Thrice shirt and stand by that band from start to finish.

There are quite a few bands that I can't say the same for, from the one-good-record, er EP, like Saosin (seriously, that name should be synonymous with greatness.. what the fuck is this about http://www.last.fm/music/Saosin/+charts it's really unfortunate they continued on without AG) to the many bands who just start to flounder five or six albums in.

Long live DK and long live Thrice. As separate entities, if that must be.
01:09 PM on 08/15/12
theagentcoma
Mouthpiece for the Mental
User Info.
As a Christian who has been in both secular and worship bands, I can completely relate to this explanation. There is a lot of bad "Christian" music and sadly Christian music has the tendency to emulate whatever is popular in the mainstream, which is already watered down and bad enough.

Can't wait to hear this.
01:12 PM on 08/15/12
ACA
User Info.
As a Christian who has been in both secular and worship bands, I can completely relate to this explanation. There is a lot of bad "Christian" music and sadly Christian music has the tendency to emulate whatever is popular in the mainstream, which is already watered down and bad enough.

Can't wait to hear this.
01:31 PM on 08/15/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I'm gaining more and more respect for him doing what he feels called to do and not allowing the naysayers to drag him down.
01:43 PM on 08/15/12
albertad
User Info.
This is why Dustin will be great in whatever he does, he makes hones art. He doesn't follow something that is a trend and this shows that he wants to do something that hits him on a deeper and personal level.
01:48 PM on 08/15/12
PomonaForEmpusa
Am just some gravel
User Info.
01:51 PM on 08/15/12
ACA
User Info.
This is why Dustin will be great in whatever he does, he makes hones art. He doesn't follow something that is a trend and this shows that he wants to do something that hits him on a deeper and personal level.

Absolutely. Thrice could not have finished on a better note, and a lot of that is DK's honesty and true appreciation of fans.

Totally stoked to hear what this EP will sound like; no way I'll listen to them until there is a final product.
02:18 PM on 08/15/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Absolutely. Thrice could not have finished on a better note, and a lot of that is DK's honesty and true appreciation of fans.

Totally stoked to hear what this EP will sound like; no way I'll listen to them until there is a final product.
There IS a final product.
02:21 PM on 08/15/12
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
I'm a huge dc Talk and TobyMac fanboy, lol, so I obviously don't agree with his fervent hate of the Christian music "ghetto," but I do agree that there's a lot there that's pretty lackluster, to say the least.

Beyond that little caveat, though, I love everything about this post. Dustin Kensrue is the freakin' man. Love him.
02:21 PM on 08/15/12
petethemeat
Balla
User Info.
GOD. lawl.
02:26 PM on 08/15/12
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.

Can't wait to hear this.

Totally agree. However, I don't necessarily think the stuff The Modern Post has put out has been great worship music. Granted the music kicks butt, but doesn't really create a worshipful mood for me. In my honest opinion, I like the acoustic version of "Grace Alone" much more and think Anathallo did a better version of Before the Throne of God. However, that doesn't mean I don't trust Dustin. I'm not sure to what extent he was involved with the song, but the track he sang on for the new Ascend the Hill album is incredible. Excited to see if worship music can move in this sort of direction.
02:26 PM on 08/15/12
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.

I love that this is overtly inspired by dc Talk, and Kevin Max of that band posted this episode on his Facebook and loved it. Real men laugh at themselves, lol.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos