Username
Password
Twitter News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 157 of 157.
06:38 PM on 08/18/12
shes.a.ghost
trust no bitch
User Info.
The site is in no way accurate. I know a dude who admitted to buying more followers for his band. I know for a fact that he did it because one day he had 200 followers, the next day he had 5,000. I checked his band on this site and it says that they have 0% fake.

It appears that 0% fake 8% inactive 98% good is a common result. Anyone else notice that?
07:54 PM on 08/18/12
AmericanBryan
The Ataris / Brian
User Info.
Wow. This is absurd. I'm SO happy that this is something that is becoming public information. Social media is extremely important in the current music world, like it or not. Promoters, labels, managers, and all the like are being duped into investing time/money into bands that don't actually have the fan base that they claim. This in turn hurts everyone, including the consumer. This is a very simple concept. You seem like the one talking shit - not everybody else.
It's fine if you want to point out that bands, athletes, movie stars or your everyday office worker is "abusing" social media. I just don't agree with calling out one specific band/person. It is absurd, childish and unprofessional. I am not singling out Randy here either AP.net is just as responsible for this. I remember several years ago when people on this site would get infuriated when people would talk shit on every Fall Out Boy post and even threatened to delete accounts if it happened again. In my eyes the same thing is happening here just with another band.

Promoters, labels, managers, etc. need to take the time to get to know their bands/artists. If they are being "duped" it is kind of their own faults. If you rely completely on the "smoke and mirrors" of the internet you are foolish.

How did it work before social media? I get that things change. I believe that social media is a great tool but I also think that it is relied on too much. Promoters think that they can just post a Facebook event or send out an email blast and that's sufficient promotion.

This is my opinion so if you consider this shit talking then so be it.
08:18 PM on 08/18/12
MondayMourning
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's fine if you want to point out that bands, athletes, movie stars or your everyday office worker is "abusing" social media. I just don't agree with calling out one specific band/person. It is absurd, childish and unprofessional. I am not singling out Randy here either AP.net is just as responsible for this. I remember several years ago when people on this site would get infuriated when people would talk shit on every Fall Out Boy post and even threatened to delete accounts if it happened again. In my eyes the same thing is happening here just with another band.

Promoters, labels, managers, etc. need to take the time to get to know their bands/artists. If they are being "duped" it is kind of their own faults. If you rely completely on the "smoke and mirrors" of the internet you are foolish.

How did it work before social media? I get that things change. I believe that social media is a great tool but I also think that it is relied on too much. Promoters think that they can just post a Facebook event or send out an email blast and that's sufficient promotion.

This is my opinion so if you consider this shit talking then so be it.
I definitely get your point. I would prefer if it didn't call out one band too, I just didn't realize that was your argument.

I understand the "smoke and mirrors" argument as well, but the "way it worked before social media" argument is sort of invalid. It's comparing apples and oranges. I think if a label signs a band based on social media alone, it's not only ridiculous, but a bad business decision. But with that said, the social media metric IS one of the more reliable ways to determine a bands fan base. Artists inflating those numbers is not only shortsighted, it's harmful to the music community as a whole. I think explaining to artists why this popular trend is a complete sham is a step in the right direction. The more the veil is lifted on this type of thing, the better - at least in my opinion. Transparency is king to me.
12:37 AM on 08/19/12
AmericanBryan
The Ataris / Brian
User Info.
I definitely get your point. I would prefer if it didn't call out one band too, I just didn't realize that was your argument.

I understand the "smoke and mirrors" argument as well, but the "way it worked before social media" argument is sort of invalid. It's comparing apples and oranges. I think if a label signs a band based on social media alone, it's not only ridiculous, but a bad business decision. But with that said, the social media metric IS one of the more reliable ways to determine a bands fan base. Artists inflating those numbers is not only shortsighted, it's harmful to the music community as a whole. I think explaining to artists why this popular trend is a complete sham is a step in the right direction. The more the veil is lifted on this type of thing, the better - at least in my opinion. Transparency is king to me.

As long as humans walk this earth transparency will never exist.
02:50 PM on 08/19/12
TSLManager
User Info.
This fake follower thing is getting even more out of control now. Someone decided to buy me fake to prove some kind of weird twisted point. Great joke to play but that really sucks as I've tried to grow my followers organically and know how many I actually have.

Any idea how to figure out what company fake followers may have come from?
08:15 PM on 08/19/12
TSLManager
User Info.
A few minutes of research and now I know how to delete the paid for fake followers if it ever happens again.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests