Password

Album Review

The Farewell Circuit - In Our Bones Album Cover

The Farewell Circuit - In Our Bones

Reviewed by
The Farewell Circuit - In Our Bones
Record Label: Princess Records
Release Date: October 31,2011
Some people enjoy hard-hitting, knock your socks off music, and while others prefer something you can just hum along and tap your foot too. Then there is of course the jump up and down sing your heart out jams, and nobody can forget the somber and peaceful sounds of ambient tunes that just allow you to relax your mind and listen. If you are a fan of laying awake at night and pondering about things such as life & the universe while listening to something the induces this process, look no further for the band you will pick to listen to at this time of your day.

Harboring the ghosts of Copeland, The Farewell Circuit comes in beautifully with their 2011 release by the name of In Our Bones. What better way than to start off with an intro by the mentioned title and a grand entrance at that; immediately you can feel the sensation Danny O'Brien's voice brings to the stage with such a soft embrace but centered approach. This is not a sound that is new or different by any means, but it stands in my eyes as something above those in comparison because just about every damn song on this album really is just that good.
"Time to say goodnight / You lived a long, long life / We'll see you on the other side / Save a place for me / Beneath the olive tree" comes the soft spoken words of Danny after an all too perfect drum intro by Geoff Hartnell to start off the first memorable track of the album, 10.08.10, where the singer is sharing a story about the loss of a loved one in a direction of hope and optimism over the situation rather than your typical self-infliction and pity were all to used to these days, something I see as a refreshing change of pace and somewhat lightening on my heart.

The one thing that stands out the most to me is the tight musicianship of this band as a whole. It feels as if every little strum of the guitar and piano key hit was placed exactly where it is for a sole purpose and its purpose has been served in full. I know this type of music doesn't appeal to all and I wouldn't expect it to, but if you've ever had a spark in your thoughts that asked you to give this genre a shot, these men might be able to put flame to your dim light. Any doubters should give my personal favorite, Appliances a listen. A song that picks up a little more than the rest of the album whilst maintaining it's ambient, Indie-Rock approach. It also showcases a funky bass line and more of a soaring sound on vocals in the chorus. The following track, Exodus almost ties it for me as #1 with an electronic sound as it's main focus that shows great diversity in a band willing to take chances and not just stick to their comfort zone. But really, I can only say check this album out as a whole because it's worth the $10 and your time.

After all I've said I can humbly admit that there are times where I can't listen to something like this, sometimes I want to tap my foot or scream my heart out, but when the mood arises there is no doubt this will be on a slumber playlist of mine tucked in my iPod and will stay there as my days pass and my mind wanders into the night.

Recommended If You Like Copeland, Indie music, Lydia, Seabear, Death Cab, Radical Face
This review is a user submitted review from cut!print. You can see all of cut!print's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version