Username
Password
Circa Survive News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Circa Survive
Inside AP.net

Colin of Circa Survive Speaks Out About Early Leak

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (08/28/12)
Colin Frangicetto and Circa Survive wish to thank everyone for their support of the new record, Violent Waves, which is out today. This past weekend he opened up about the early leak of the record and wanted to share his thoughts.
From the AP.net News Forum...anyway, in reference to the downloading issue being debated by a few people. our position on it really hasnt changed all that much. we have always felt that if someone truly cant afford to buy our albums then we would always rather them download it illegally as opposed to not having it. we were more apt to say " go fucking download it" because we were in situations where a) we did not set the budgets b) because of said budgets we knew it was an impossibility that we would ever recoup the cost of the records and therefore never see money from record sales anyway c) we felt that there is a certain blame to be placed on the industry for the degradation of music as a commercial art form. d) we also always felt that albums were over priced. ask anyone who has come to see us live in the past 7 years how much we sold our albums for at our concerts... answer : $5. that is what we paid the labels for those records so essentially we made nothing on all of those as well.

now it is slightly different. we sustained ourselves financially throughout the writing process, we have paid or will be paying for the recording, the promotion,(videos, etc) the manufacturing and now are going to be paying for over seas travel that normally would come out of a tour support fund.

so we made the download $5. we know you can get that download for free, in essence we are saying, we would appreciate you supporting us by buying the $5 download. a coffee at starbucks can cost up to that much. a beer at a bar often costs that much. put it in perspective and tell me that an album of 11 songs is worth less than 1 coffee or 1 beer and ill smack you in the face. its just ignorant. if you are someone who lives month to month and saves every penny to pay for your rent and bills then fine. steal it instead, we wont hold it against you. we never have and never will. we are fighting for our livelihood in the most honest way we know how. the bottomline is if we are not supported then we will have to change how we do things or potentially not do it anymore. that is the bottomline for any musician who is self sustaining. many people dont understand the costs of doing what we do. they think that if you play to 1000 people a night in the states then you live in a mansion. most of our band still rents small shitty apartments. half of us dont even own cars. we are and always will be a working class band. we arent asking for handouts or pity. we have never wanted to be millionaire rockstars. all we have ever wanted was to do what we love for a living and we have done that for 8 years now and hope to continue to do that. and thats all folks. xoxo

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 51
02:22 PM on 08/28/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
tell me that an album of 11 songs is worth less than 1 coffee or 1 beer and ill smack you in the face

Gold.
02:24 PM on 08/28/12
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
Wonderfully expressed.
02:25 PM on 08/28/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Pretty well said
02:33 PM on 08/28/12
TypicalMiracle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band deserves it anyways. They never disappoint.
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Dude's gotta find a new place to buy coffee.
_veges_
User Info.
I completely agree with everything he said, I wish more bands who could would price their music like that. Before this record I had never really liked Circa, but for just $5 I decided to preorder the record and that got me to listening to them more. That turned me into a fan and very quickly I had bought their whole discography
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
I was at their record release, it was motherfucking amazing. Buy this record, but more importantly, GO SEE THIS BAND LIVE.
02:34 PM on 08/28/12
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
Much respect to this man.

I have not heard this, but I preordered the cd. Certain bands do not need a preview listen.
02:35 PM on 08/28/12
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
Buying this out of pure respect.
02:36 PM on 08/28/12
VeryWittyName
User Info.
It's one of the few albums I've bought this year. Something about the fact that they were selling the album for $5 convinced me to spend about 9x that amount on the CD and t-shirt being shipped to the UK. Thankfully the album is great and the artwork is freaking sweet.
02:38 PM on 08/28/12
hiddentrack
I feel fine when you’re in my head.
User Info.
Well said.
02:38 PM on 08/28/12
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
Colin used to kill it in the Philly local scene for a long time. To see him play huge crowds around the world and possibly make a huge statement with this $5 record is amazing. Good luck.
02:39 PM on 08/28/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
I've always been a casual fan of this band, but I'll buy the album just out of respect.
02:39 PM on 08/28/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
well said, and i bought the album because it's awesome
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives