AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Role Models - This Is Something. This Is Important. EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Role Models - This Is Something. This Is Important. EP

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/11/12)
Role Models This Is Something. This Is Important. EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 21th, 2012

Transit is one of my favorite bands, so why am I saying that on a review for the debut EP by pop-punk/indie band Role Models? Well, that’s because they sound quite a bit like Transit. That’s my favorite kind of pop-punk, too; pop-punk mixed with indie-rock. There’s a perfect balance between the two, and Transit makes it sound wonderfully. While there will be plenty of Transit and Into It Over It comparisons in this review, this band is certainly unique.

The EP starts off with “Team Player,” and it starts off with a guitar riff by guitarists Dylan Skinner and Ian Lasorella before vocalist Austin Rowland kicks in. His voice isn’t the best I’ve ever heard, but it’s fitting for the music, honestly. It really does work, and I like it. The lyrics are also pretty typical for a pop-punk record, but there are a few one-liners in this track, and throughout the EP. As far as opening tracks, it sounds like it would fit will on a Transit or Into It Over It album. There’s a brilliant balance between the indie and pop-punk. Ironically, both of my favorite genres are indie and pop-punk, so these types of bands I absolutely adore. Overall, the track is fantastic, but it’s only just begun. Towards the end of “Team Player,” there are some interesting screams, and it closes out the song nicely. Second track, “A Case of the Mondays,” has a more pop-punk feel to it, and it sounds quite similar to the first track, but still unique. There’s a nice guitar riff that closes the song that I also really love. Third, and final track, “Kennel,” is my favorite. I absolutely adore this track. It has a very indie feel to it, which is so great. Rowland’s vocals fit with the song, and the accompanying instrumentation. The guitar riff sounds so spacey, and sounds like it would be from a Transit/Misser album. My favorite lyric from this EP is from this song, which goes, “My home is a prison cell.” I don’t know why, but that lyric resonates with me.

Overall, this is only a debut EP from a rather young band, but wow, this band has a LOT of potential. Role Models has the name of a movie that I’ve never seen, but I’d rather listen to this band, anyway. While it’s only about 9 minutes, it’s still a great nine minutes. They’ve got some growing up to do, which makes sense considering this is only a debut EP as I mentioned, but I can’t wait for a full length, whenever that may be.

Recommended If You LikeTransit, Into It Over It, pop-punk mixed with indie

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Team Player
2. A Case of the Mondays
3. Kennel

Role Models is:

Austin Rowland - Vocals
Dylan Skinner - Guitar
Ian Lasorella - Guitar
Devin Helton - Bass/Vocals
Matt Fox - Drums