02:33 PM on 09/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Fuck Kickstarter
02:42 PM on 09/13/12
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
One of the best labels out there. Damn shame.
03:59 PM on 09/13/12
jhog3411
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Somehow, people need to be reminded of the value of music. It's not just a computer spitting out tunes. There's people involved from writing, recording, production, artwork, manufacturing, etc. It's become something that people don't think or care about. There has to be a shift in the mind of the consumer...

Okay, that's great. Now how is that accomplished?

The door has been opened and you can't just close it. The labels must adapt to a new landscape or die. It's sad that smaller labels that cater to a small population are struggling, but they'll have to be innovative (and probably lucky) to survive.
08:22 PM on 09/13/12
JustBrad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Somehow, people need to be reminded of the value of music. It's not just a computer spitting out tunes. There's people involved from writing, recording, production, artwork, manufacturing, etc. It's become something that people don't think or care about. There has to be a shift in the mind of the consumer...
Excellent article. I agree. At this point, the industry is at the mercy of an uneducated base of consumers. So many people that consider themselves fans of music illegally download without even considering the result of the deed. I am not saying I NEVER download; I do. However, if I like the music, I will buy it to support the artist. I think vinyl has an interesting appeal to revamp the sales of physical copies. I really like records that include digital download codes. I think this is a step in the right direction for labels. As far as my favorite labels go, mine are: Bridge Nine, No Sleep, Pure Noise, and Kanine Records.
09:37 PM on 09/13/12
EronBucciarelli
User Info.
Labels need to shift into marketing agencies and synch licensing departments (the only growing field in the music industry). Focus on developing brands that hit on multiple media platforms and cut through the various splintered genres. You're seeing this happen right now with "fun."

In my opinion, deals need to be structured so the label is more a business partner or division of the band's business as opposed to a bank giving out impossible to re-coup loans. I'm not talking about 360 models, I'm talking about labels more in terms of employees required (as all employees are at successful companies) to return results and if not, they're fired at will.

Music sales are getting ready to take another HUGE hit in the next year or two with the combined rise of 4G and streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora. Huge is an understatement. Its more like the worlds biggest tsunami heading for NYC. YAY, music sales have finally risen 4% this year...enjoy it while it lasts because it takes 25 to 60 streams to account for ONE paid digital track download. That's a considerably higher drop than $18.99 was to $9.99. Tablets are set to over-take PC sales (or perhaps its just laptop sales) this year which will be a big hit to torrent sites everywhere (and that's a trend that will continue), but the shift to streaming and proliferation of mobile devices lends itself to the streaming services and spells the end to labels as we currently know them. There will always be a small market for physical media. For all but a small few, it will amount to a subsistence model or one targeted to diehard fans. The old model is done for and never coming back, but The Black Keys will continue to turn down $100,000 synch deals, because they're so successful they can be picky about offers like that!
09:40 PM on 09/13/12
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
Okay, that's great. Now how is that accomplished?

The door has been opened and you can't just close it. The labels must adapt to a new landscape or die. It's sad that smaller labels that cater to a small population are struggling, but they'll have to be innovative (and probably lucky) to survive.

I suppose labels have to be creative, exciting, and as you said, be innovative. I don't know exactly how that looks. Things like this discussion will educated. Even how we show how we value the music will rub off on our friends, we can be examples. It's hard. I don't think anyone has all the answers but even these discussions are a start...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos