Username
Password

10:47 AM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
I don't mean literally you can't drive. I don't mean that you'll back up into a parked bus. But you just don't know the rules of the road. You really don't know what to do at a four-way-stop when you get there at the same time as another car. You don't know what to do when you see a flashing or solid yellow light at an intersection(this is the biggest and most noticeable measure of your poor driving knowledge). Then it's merging. Merging Madness is what they call it in the south. Knuck if you buck is what they call it in the north.

Anyway, to give enlightenment because surveys say that 85% of Americans don't know how to properly articulate in words what to do when they see a solid yellow light. Well the answer is to just keep on driving. It's just a caution light, so drive like you would anywhere else, with caution. If it's a flashing yellow, don't be that statistical idiot that stops and lets the car waiting at the intersecting road to go through. You would cause an accident in another country where they wouldn't expect you to stop at a YELLOW LIGHT. You only, ONLY stop at red.

Merging Madness is the selfishness of a driver. Europe and Canada merging is quite simple. The main road driver allows one car to go in front of them at a time. It keeps things flowing that way. Unfortunately in America, selfishness doesn't want that to happen. They don't want any car to go in front of them (not all people, but most. If not then merging wouldn't be such a mess)
Unfortunately what i've seen is either the merger waits until it's completely clear, or they force their way in front causing tensions to rise high. Personally I was the guy forcing my way in front until I watched a video of an American so pissed off that someone forced their way in front of him that he got out of his car and unloaded his clip into the other car. Therefore I don't, I'm too scared to piss of people.
Until today.

I left my apartment and approached the four way stop sign. The statistical idiot driver in front of me stopped his car in the crosswalk while I pulled up behind him. Stopping in the crosswalk is incorrect and warrants ticketing. He then began to make his left. While I was already stopped behind him at the proper location, a bus pulls up to my left. I go to make my turn but the bus driver isn't happy since she believes that two cars aren't suppose to go before she can go. Well if we got there at the same time then she would still be incorrect because you SUPPOSE to yield to the driver on the RIGHT. This is something not many know, nor is it really that necessary to know. I go to make my turn and she pretends she doesn't see me so that I would have to go wide. I slow my car to a near halt and she clips the back of my car. She admits she didn't think I would play chicken with her because she's in a bus and i'm not. Anyway, the cop comes and I explain the rules of the road to him also in a rather elitist way but he accepts it and tickets the driver for her violation, but not before telling me "that it's better to be safe and aware of ignorant drivers than to be smart and dead." I chuckled it off until he said something again. "Seriously, I know you know the rules of the road, but most don't. So don't play down to them. You may have taught her how to handle a four-way-stop, but was it worth the time and money? Plus there's millions more out there like her who are ignorant to the rules"

The officer shook my hand as I began to feel like a dick.

/story
10:55 AM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
jasn88cubs
Illinois
Male
I don't mean literally you can't drive. I don't mean that you'll back up into a parked bus. But you just don't know the rules of the road. You really don't know what to do at a four-way-stop when you get there at the same time as another car. You don't know what to do when you see a flashing or solid yellow light at an intersection(this is the biggest and most noticeable measure of your poor driving knowledge). Then it's merging. Merging Madness is what they call it in the south. Knuck if you buck is what they call it in the north.

Anyway, to give enlightenment because surveys say that 85% of Americans don't know how to properly articulate in words what to do when they see a solid yellow light. Well the answer is to just keep on driving. It's just a caution light, so drive like you would anywhere else, with caution. If it's a flashing yellow, don't be that statistical idiot that stops and lets the car waiting at the intersecting road to go through. You would cause an accident in another country where they wouldn't expect you to stop at a YELLOW LIGHT. You only, ONLY stop at red.

Merging Madness is the selfishness of a driver. Europe and Canada merging is quite simple. The main road driver allows one car to go in front of them at a time. It keeps things flowing that way. Unfortunately in America, selfishness doesn't want that to happen. They don't want any car to go in front of them (not all people, but most. If not then merging wouldn't be such a mess)
Unfortunately what i've seen is either the merger waits until it's completely clear, or they force their way in front causing tensions to rise high. Personally I was the guy forcing my way in front until I watched a video of an American so pissed off that someone forced their way in front of him that he got out of his car and unloaded his clip into the other car. Therefore I don't, I'm too scared to piss of people.
Until today.

I left my apartment and approached the four way stop sign. The statistical idiot driver in front of me stopped his car in the crosswalk while I pulled up behind him. Stopping in the crosswalk is incorrect and warrants ticketing. He then began to make his left. While I was already stopped behind him at the proper location, a bus pulls up to my left. I go to make my turn but the bus driver isn't happy since she believes that two cars aren't suppose to go before she can go. Well if we got there at the same time then she would still be incorrect because you SUPPOSE to yield to the driver on the RIGHT. This is something not many know, nor is it really that necessary to know. I go to make my turn and she pretends she doesn't see me so that I would have to go wide. I slow my car to a near halt and she clips the back of my car. She admits she didn't think I would play chicken with her because she's in a bus and i'm not. Anyway, the cop comes and I explain the rules of the road to him also in a rather elitist way but he accepts it and tickets the driver for her violation, but not before telling me "that it's better to be safe and aware of ignorant drivers than to be smart and dead." I chuckled it off until he said something again. "Seriously, I know you know the rules of the road, but most don't. So don't play down to them. You may have taught her how to handle a four-way-stop, but was it worth the time and money? Plus there's millions more out there like her who are ignorant to the rules"

The officer shook my hand as a began to feel like a dick.

/story

the cop sounded serious

was it this guy?

12:24 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
steve187
nah
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
what a dumb bus driver. everyone knows buses are the vehicle on the road that get the least respect and people are going to go anyway even if they are right or not so she should have waited anyway
12:31 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
hopi
Liege, Belgium
Female - 18 Years Old
can i just say that i hate bus drivers
12:34 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
Crackbaby
Stupid inflatable pants!
Slovenia
Male - 21 Years Old
You could have avoided all of this if you just waited for Ron and his brothers to come pick you up with the flying car.
12:45 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
You could have avoided all of this if you just waited for Ron and his brothers to come pick you up with the flying car.
12:50 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
leftapart
Bay Area, CA
Male
Don't you ride a broom..? Get over it.
01:29 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
StepsInADance
http://taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com/
Miami Fl
Male - 21 Years Old
Off topic: Do you ever get tired of the Harry Potter jokes? I see them all the time and they're never funny. I'm sick of them for you.
01:40 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
i got to "don't stop at a solid yellow" and realized that you must not have red light cameras in wizard land
02:28 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
Too Slow
Santa Rosa, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
Don't you ride a broom..? Get over it.
Belly Laughs
03:24 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
Fringe
facebook.com/HigherAndHigherMusic
Edmonton, Alberta
Male - 19 Years Old
Yellow does mean stop. It means "stop unless unsafe to do so". I just got my license and did drivers training, so I know that's absolutely what it means.

Also I just turned 18 today. Within a week it's crazy how much more freedom I have.

Edit: Oh wait, do you mean flashing yellow at like night time?
03:45 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
esposimi
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
Lancaster, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
Fuck people WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO MERGE!
04:01 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
I've seen 701 bands/artists live
Hudson County, NJ
Male
Yellow does mean stop. It means "stop unless unsafe to do so". I just got my license and did drivers training, so I know that's absolutely what it means.

Also I just turned 18 today. Within a week it's crazy how much more freedom I have.

Happy Birthday dude!
04:04 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
Off topic: Do you ever get tired of the Harry Potter jokes? I see them all the time and they're never funny. I'm sick of them for you.
Haha, I usually skip over it. It sucks the most when someone quotes me so I get all excited expecting to read something about some interesting thing I said but instead it's a HP joke.

You're Canadian, you know how to drive...and merge.

And Happy Birthday, from your friendly neighborhood Potter
04:19 PM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
You can't kill us all
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm an Asian woman.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music