Password

Album Review

Astrea - Departure Album Cover

Astrea - Departure

Reviewed by
Astrea - Departure
Record Label: X Off Records
Release Date: July 12, 2007
"Post-hardcore" is a term that gets thrown around a lot these days, and it doesn't seem to mean much anymore. In my mind, the word conjures images of a handful of stellar bands and tons of middle of the road scenester bands. Astrea falls into the latter category.

Their music isn't bad, per se, it's just not anything mindblowing. Driving drums and whining guitars fill the speakers, and singer Brendon Pires is doing his best impression of Saosin's Cove Reber. The five song EP seems to all run together, and it's difficult to recall which hooks belong to which songs. The lyrics are generically about broken hearts and fate, doing their best to sound profound and forward looking.

The band's bio has the band claiming that they've "developed an original style." However, I'd be more inclined to agree with them later in the bio with the statement that they make their music "as broad as possible," thus making them sound just like everyone else.

Track Listing01. Over Your Head
02. Between the Tides
03. Hourglass
04. Love is War
05. Shadows

For Fans OfA Heartwell Ending, Therefore I Am, a less intelligent Circa Survive

Listen AtMySpace | PureVolume
This review is a user submitted review from average_jane. You can see all of average_jane's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:08 PM on 02/04/08
Headcase156
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Never gonna lose their 'core

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles