Password

Album Review
Seaway/Safe To Say - Split Album Cover

Seaway/Safe To Say - Split

Reviewed by
Seaway / Safe To SaySplit
Record Label: Mutant League Records
Release Date: October 23, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Split EPs are always fun. Nothing more, they’re just fun. You get to experience two bands on the same record – what more can you ask for? And only hearing each one in small doses gets fans excited for what’s to come, so there’s that, too. Well, the latest split from Seaway and Safe To Say is a heavy dosage of pop-punk. It’s short and to the point – seriously, it’s only 12 minutes.

Seaway takes the A side with three quick jams. Obviously, there’s a sense of urgency here, with the rapid drums and fast-fretted guitars helping the vocal trade offs of Ryan Locke and Patrick Carleton keep the energy maxed out throughout “Homewrecker.” Ken Taylor keeps the pace behind the kit, while Locke and Carleton trade off each other’s words in Set Your Goals fashion throughout the chorus. “Middle Finger” is sure to be Seaway’s highlight on the split, with Andrew Eichinger’s guitar work dominating the track. Seriously, it’s almost hard to pay attention to the vocals due to focusing on drum and guitar combo throughout the chorus. Their last cut, “Lifted,” has Set Your Goals written all over it due to call and return vocal delivery. However, the track suddenly slows down at the bridge, making me rewind to that point. This simple moment of slowed pace brings something different and unexpected to the table, making me very interested in what Seaway could pull off on a full length.

Safe To Say, on the other hand (or side heh), waste no time cranking up the volume. Kicking their three songs off with the blink-of-an-eye “Entirely,” Safe To Say guarantee we’re ready to listen due to the track's impetuous, startling nature. After getting our attention due to the out of nowhere chaos that is the 30 seconds of “Entirely,” Safe To Say deliver the best track on the split with “Wished You The Worst.” Remember the angst and raw honesty on The Story So Far’s Under Soil And Dirt? That’s what this track screams – it’s what Handguns’ Angst should have sounded like and what Major League’s Hard Feelings executes pleasingly. Vocalist Brad Garcia wails, “Honestly, things could have been so much worse for us / I used to hope they were for you,” before palm mutes take over and drown him out, making certain this moment stands out. This is the type of loud and dexterous pop-punk I want to hear.

So the 12 minutes marker has been reached and that’s it. Or is it? The final near screams of “We’re all dead birds with broken wings” on “Dead Birds” beg you to hit repeat and play the split again. Seaway and Safe To Say don’t rely on excessive guitar solos or boring us with five-minute mid-tempo tunes, they knock us off our feet with 2-minute bursts of rapid-fire music. Short and to the point defines punk music, and both these bands harness the virtue of this statement here. Together, these two bands will make their place in the upcoming pop-punk scene with this split that attests to be remarkably concise yet equally assertive.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:43 PM on 10/23/12
TheColorFrang
Bruser
User Info.
Safe to Say is absolutely awesome, they need to tour the states
08:02 PM on 10/23/12
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
Safe to Say is absolutely awesome, they need to tour the states
This band came out of nowhere and are blowing me away. They combine the ferocity of story so far with the introspective nature of citizen. I need more.
10:13 AM on 10/27/12
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
safe to say's side rules so much

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT