New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
01:25 PM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
I'm worried about Delaware's rest stops. They are the engine of their economy.
03:21 PM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
I'm not long for power.

Edit: Lights are flickering.
04:16 PM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
I'm always pretty calm during this stuff, but I live in a two-story brick townhouse and the foundation just shook for a good 3-4 seconds. It's not supposed to do that.
05:15 PM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
Have seen like 4 transformer explosions in the distance from my window in the last 20 min

03:11 PM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
i guess everyone that lives where i live is one too..because that is the general consensus i've come across today.
i can see how category one hurricanes can freak someone out who's never experienced one before and you guys don't have swamps for the extra flood water to drain out into but to us they're just really bad thunderstorms.
the panic is always 10 times worse than the storm and that's what i'm making fun of because i've witnessed it throughout my whole life.
a few days before a trop storm or low cat hurricane"OMGZ hurricane cominggggg"
next day " okay it rained really bad for like 12 hours and that was it?"

The i've only really been freaked out by a hurricane once and that was Charlie because it was a category 4 and made landfall like 100 miles south of here.

Hurricane categories are only a reflection of wind strength, they don't say anything about a storm's breadth or duration, or speak to any of the possible damage that could be incurred from flooding. You're trying to equate what people have experienced with Sandy to what you experience in Florida, but the Category 1 storms you see are generally small, compact, and make landfall for a few hours before they curl out to sea. This storm was 1,000 miles wide, making its field of devastation enormous. You're also dealing with by far the most densely populated area in the country(New Jersey and Connecticut are two of the most densely populated states, New York one of the most densely populated cities), meaning the number of lives impacted was going to be far greater than if it had hit almost anywhere else. The speed and path of the storm was also such that some of the effects lingered in areas. You compared Sandy to other Category 1 storms, a basis entirely on wind strength, but there's a difference between dealing with 70-80 MPH winds for 6 hours and dealing with those winds for 24-36 hours. With respect to flooding, we have large urban environments along the shore here, so they're susceptible to taking on a lot of water when a huge storm causes the sea levels to rise. Conversely, Florida is half as densely inhabited and 30% of the state is wetlands.

You live in a swamp.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version