Username
Password
RIAA News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 29 of 29.
10:23 PM on 02/06/08
snowtires
henry slinkman
User Info.
This is a great idea. You guys are fools. We live in a free enterprise. The major labels exist in order to make a profit. The artist is simply a tool to create revenue. Fuck them. If they can't make a label money through album, merch, ticket sales, then they don't deserve to be signed. My brother, who recently lost his job and now homeless, used to be a public relations rep, but because of the decline of CD sales, he was laid off. It was because of all you illegal downloaders. I wonder if you sleep well at night. You scumbags.

maybe he can crash at lars' place
10:32 PM on 02/06/08
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
laughing my ass off; rolling on the floor laughing... you fucking domtar

i have no idea what 'domtar' means, but no doubt it's synonymous with 'awesome'
10:36 PM on 02/06/08
asmolitor
Resident Econ/Market/WI Nerd
User Info.
seems writers get the shaft in all mediums now.
10:37 PM on 02/06/08
moonlights
cinco de mayo!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a great idea. You guys are fools. We live in a free enterprise. The major labels exist in order to make a profit. The artist is simply a tool to create revenue. Fuck them. If they can't make a label money through album, merch, ticket sales, then they don't deserve to be signed. My brother, who recently lost his job and now homeless, used to be a public relations rep, but because of the decline of CD sales, he was laid off. It was because of all you illegal downloaders. I wonder if you sleep well at night. You scumbags.
i hope you hate every indie in the business and itunes then too, because look at the facts buddy - music sales went up, not down...CD sales went down. music sales went up by 14%, according to soundscan. and the reason why majors are laying people off despite that? a) people aren't buying full CDs, they're buying single tracks (so you can blame itunes), because now...they can! and b) people are buying more independent records (so you can blame the indie labels).

seems writers get the shaft in all mediums now.
seriously. this is total bullshit.
The groups think that the current mechanical rate of about 9 cents, used to calculate how much songwriters get from CD sales, is too high. As the music industry suffers a downturn in overall revenues, these groups argue that songwriters have to accept less money in order to keep the whole industry alive.
what?? what the FUCK?! how does that make any sense? i mean, i'm no accountant or economist or idk even whoever would handle that, but i just can't even begin to work out that logic. it's just not even close to logic.

personally i think songwriters should get the same royalties as they do from physical cd sales. more would be nice too, but the same makes the most sense to me.

as far as streaming, i thought that was already done like radio (by performance licenses, not mechanical), but i guess not. huh. not sure where i stand on that.
11:11 PM on 02/06/08
anamericangod
User Info.
maybe he can crash at lars' place

Great post.

Fuck the record industry, and fuck these stupid old men who think they know what they are doing.
11:29 PM on 02/06/08
tanglehymn
Next stop, everywhere.
User Info.
this is a horrible idea. seems like the industry is almost beyond repair with suggestions like this... it needs to be burnt down and built up from scratch.
11:48 PM on 02/06/08
AsItFallsApart
Erect in defiance of god's will
User Info.
douchebaggery, they're going down in flames and want to wring out the artists before the crash
03:57 AM on 02/07/08
AUGUSTinBETHANY
User Info.

LETS JUST STATE THAT.. THE RIAA IS JUST STUPID!!
06:13 AM on 02/07/08
NJUNDERDOG
I HAVE RECORDS FOR SALE, PM ME
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
its the recording industry association of america, not the artist or musician industry association of america. so theyre just looking out for who they represent, the labels, not the musicians or artists associated with said labels. im not saying i agree with the riaa's practices and philosophies but with this they are working for their clients.
06:34 AM on 02/07/08
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Thanks for the article on the disbursement of royalties, Julia, that was truly informative.
08:10 AM on 02/07/08
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Pretty shitty if you ask. As if songwriters made a lot of money out of their compositions.

Oh and, by the way, the article was really, really informative and complete. Answered a lot of questions I had concerning the mechanisms of the industry.
08:14 AM on 02/07/08
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
what?? what the FUCK?! how does that make any sense? i mean, i'm no accountant or economist or idk even whoever would handle that, but i just can't even begin to work out that logic. it's just not even close to logic.
They basically mean that the recording industry is not doing so well, so they just want to cut off the share songwriters get and put it in their pockets.
10:50 AM on 02/07/08
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Thanks for the article on the disbursement of royalties, Julia, that was truly informative.

No problem. It's always good to be informed.
09:40 PM on 02/07/08
hotcheese311
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm suprised that the "DiMA members (apple, amazon) wanna pay the artist even less than the freakin RIAA, craziness
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS