Password

09:51 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
ive only played the 3 non-DS versions. i go back and forth between preferring generations 2 and 3. i like that both are pretty long games compared to the first generation, you can beat red/blue in a day.

pros of 2:
-easily the best music. i like every song in this game and it was still 8-bit, i hated Gen 3's corny ass synthesizers
-things happened on specific days of the week and at specific times. i dont know why they got rid of this, it added a whole new dynamic to the game
-take Milotic away from Gen 3, and this one was the hardest game to catch 'em all in, i did it in the others but not this one. (but Milotic alone gives this series a run for its money...)
-a ton of legendary pokemon to attempt to catch. Lugia was TOO good though. you can't be psychic/flying AND learn Hydro Pump AND Recover, not fair
-Tyranitar, an improved Dragonite that actually learns Dragon moves, Kingdra (literally no weaknesses except other dragons!), Scizor, Steelix, Red Gyarados, Espeon, Porygon 2, Bellossom, Hitmontop, Crobat... just a bunch of really cool, exclusive pokemon that were a pain in the ass to get, but rewarding once you did. evolutionary stones were super hard to get too, made it that much more fulfilling to get an Arcanine or something
-This is the only game with useful Bug Pokemon, and they were actually really good. Heracross is one of my favorite pokemon period
-breeding pokemon was the most fun in this game - Pichu, Smoochum, Magby, Elekid, Tyrogue, Cleffa, Togepi, Igglybuff... it's like the possibilities were endless
-you fight Ash under the name of Red, and hilariously it sort of pokes fun at how stupid his pokemon team would be in the games; Pikachu is by far his weakest, Snorlax is his strongest even though he was never used in the series, Bulbasaur and Squirtle are fully evolved
-lots of great trainer battle locations. i liked to challenge myself to make it to the top of the Lighthouse and the Radio Tower (under team rocket siege) without going to a Pokemon Center
-tons of cave exploring. Dark Cave and Mt. Mortar are definitely two of the best in any of the games, Union Cave had some secret areas you couldn't get to early and forgot about, the Whirlpool Islands were a crazy ass maze, and revisiting Mt. Moon was fun. Mt. Silver too, but that one just annoyed me because if you lost to Ash, chances are its because you didnt train enough, so then you had to navigate it all over again later
-Psychic pokemon had the best role. they were still pretty dominant unlike Gen 3, but they were beatable and had clear weaknesses unlike Gen 1

pros of Gen 3:
-running shoes and a faster bike. need i say more?
-Dive is the best HM the game has ever come up with. so much exploring, so many secrets, several pokemon you could only get underwater
-best starting pokemon of any of the three. though i always felt like i was missing out if i didnt pick Torchic
-Fighting pokemon were actually relevant, finally! and super useful throughout the game too, you needed at least one to beat the Elite Four
-Milotic is the hardest pokemon to get in any of the games, and definitely one of the most rewarding. i had one once, between its ridiculously high Special Attack, Special Defense, HP, and the fact that it can Recover, that motherfucker is untouchable
-easily the toughest Gym Leaders and Elite Four. i never beat the Elite Four on my first try in this game (fuck that bitch with the Ghost pokemon, seriously), and the first time i played i lost at least once to every gym leader starting with the third one. Victory Road was really hard too, your pokemon get destroyed by the end and then you have to face Wally and you're like... fuck.
-this relates to the last one, but you definitely had to train in the wild grass, a lot, in this game. sometimes it could get painstaking but the game's too easy if you can beat it just by picking a good team and fighting all the trainers. any real RPG requires a lot of experience gathering
-challenges that acted like mini games separate from the usual gameplay -- Berry Blending, Contests, the Mach Bike challenge, deciphering the Braille codes and then finding the secret spots to catch Regirock, Regice, and Registeel, etc
-actualy come to think of it, the Legendaries in this game were hard as fuck to catch too. Rayquaza can beat your entire team by itself repeatedly before you catch it
-they finally made more dragon pokemon, i cant help myself from training at least one when i play. Salamence, Altaria, and Flygon are all badass
-soooo many secret spots. it took me several times playing through this game before i had really explored the whole map.
-the scenery was really, really good for a gameboy game. the weather changes were a nice touch as well
10:21 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified

oh hell yeah. now THIS was a hard game to completely beat. it took me years to beat it on the hardest level and i still havent figured out all the University puzzles. i need to get back into playing, every time i come back to it i get better at it
10:24 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Emploeon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Abomasnow, and Drifblim were the only good pokemon. I couldn't even make a full team with how shitty all of the new pokemon were. Gen 5 wasn't all that much better either.

thats what i heard, the DS generations they just seemed to run out of ideas. granted i dont know that well because i never wanted to get a DS just for one game. but looking through the moves and skillsets on bulbapedia, they really just seemed to go way over the top and make every pokemon too good. the names and designs also got worse and worse
10:26 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
not reading that shit

meh. the main point i'm trying to put across is at the beginning of each bullet, the rest is just explanations
10:36 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
short version of my post: Gen 2 was best for collecting and training different teams of pokemon, you had a ton of options to play the same game with different teams. Gen 3 was simply the most challenging one. both were good for exploring (though i think Gen 3 was a little more fun)
10:39 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
i think, overall:

3 > 2 >> 1 >>>>>>>> 4 & 5

its hard to be so down on Gen 1 though, i think i just overplayed it. but of all the games ive ever been obsessed with in my life, i think Pokemon Blue is at the top of my "most played video games" list, period. above COD, above Gran Turismo, hell even above Madden. i ate that shit up from age 9 to age 13, there was just nothing else that was as satisfying to play. according to optometrists, and the fact that my glasses/contacts prescription hasnt changed in years, Pokemon games are probably the reason i don't have 20/20 vision, really fucked with my eyes at a young age to stare at a gameboy all the time haha
11:12 PM on 11/23/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
i think part of what makes Gen 3 so hard is the fact that Gym Leaders and Elite Four trainers really accounted for their weaknesses well. i cant think of many examples, but one that stood out to me is i always used to forget about Altaria when i fought the Flying-type trainer. you think you're golden if you just use an electric pokemon, and then not only does she have a part-dragon who is more resistant to electric moves, but it also knows Earthquake. total wtf moment the first couple times i played through Ruby.
11:11 AM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
I'd say III >>> I > II with IV and V not being good enough to even grace my ranking with 4th and 5th place. III just has near infinite re-playability for me.

all the first 3 generations are like that. ive beaten Blue so many times that ive had almost every pokemon in my final team at least once, and nowadays its like, i beat 3, then i play 2 and beat that, then i go back... its easy to switch back and forth and they never get old.
11:23 AM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
this was one thing I really liked about it though.

no i know, that's what i'm saying. Gens 1 and 2 were hard when i first started playing them but now when i play through them, i like never lose, beat the elite four and all the gym leaders on my first try, etc. Gen 3 is the first one that poses a challenge every time you play it and thats what makes it the best pokemon generation to me
11:34 AM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Weird. Generation III had I believe no pokemon I disliked. Whereas Gen 4 had 5 I didn't dislike. Gen 5 is just a slightly improved Gen 4. The pokemon are getting farther away from pokemon and closer to being just unusually colored animals.

some of the Pokemon in 4 make me think of Yu-Gi-Oh characters. its like bitch, you gotta appeal to your old school fans too! a few of the 20 somethings who played the first games still play!
11:48 AM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
It is. It just doesn't suck.

yeah and it doesn't learn Poison Beam Explosion or whatever ridiculous moves they come up with these days.
11:51 AM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Gen 3 had Sharpedo. That's all I need.

Breloom had a nasty Sky Uppercut. that was such an awesome surprise, the first time i played i figured "meh, might as well check out this game's premier grass pokemon", and then while still having Mega Drain and his Spores ability, suddenly i also get this epic fighting pokemon with its ridiculous Attack stat and im like WHOA, COOL
11:59 AM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
think of the possibilities with Flygon: Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Earthquake, Giga Drain

and they're fast as shit so they're likely to get first strike. give it Charcoal to power up that Flamethrower, and it's even making short work of its biggest weakness, ice pokemon. if it's a water/ice hybrid, just giga drain some health back, to make up for that ice beam that nearly killed you.
12:03 PM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Milotic is my favorite pokemon that ive ever had in any of the games though. are you guys aware of what you have to do to get one?
12:06 PM on 11/24/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
Haha tons still do! Me and my buddy bought black and white together last year together and played it nonstop, and two years before that, we bought heart gold and soul silver together and played that nonstop xD. They're addicting games. Wasn't huge into black, though.

there just isnt a game with more replay value. i always find myself wanting to go back to it and beat it with a really crazy team, sometimes i try to beat it with a completely unbalanced team like two fire pokemon and a normal one and no electric or grass types, and see what kinds of challenges i run into.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos