Username
Password

05:42 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Reston, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
Today, I celebrate my 90 days with a physical therapy company. The upside to that is now I get paid for holidays (just in time for the big ones!) .... The downside? This place is terrible. My therapists are wonderful and so is the office staff. But the people higher up the ladder are conniving snakes, among other things. While I could go on, I'll cut to the chase:

What is the "polite" amount of time to stay with a company before moving on?

I have a marketing degree ad this has always been meant to be temporary. But now 3 of my therapists are leaving within a 2-month time frame, and we all share the same view of the higher-ups. I've begun applying for marketing/graphics jobs, but is it too soon? Would future employers view 3-4 months with a company distasteful?

Aside from that, blow off some steam and tell me why you hate your job.
06:37 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Reston, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
Future employers would most likely see 3-4 months at a company as a negative thing, however if you interview just be sure to stress that your dream career/degree is in the marketing/design field and that is why you are applying for new positions. If I were you, I would begin applying for new jobs around the 6 month mark, that way any interview you get you really won't have to explain yourself as 6 months (and companies I've worked for agree) is a standard time to "give" to a position before exploring other options.

Unfortunately, I was thinking along the same lines. Its really difficult, although I understand the importance of wanting to set myself up for a more stable position in the future.

Cheers to those who make their career in the medical field. Just had another mom cuss me out over the phone because *she* misunderstood the day her daughter was supposed to start therapy. Y'all work wonders, seriously.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Although, I am interested in hearing about everyone else's careers!!
06:41 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Reston, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
I love my job at Cartoon Network. I get to watch cartoons and play games all day while also doing fun design work. 100% serious.

I am positively thrilled to hear that. I really want to be in the same position as you someday. But man, they know what they're talking about with the whole "patience is a virtue" thing. I can't wait to get to that place in my life!
08:48 AM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Reston, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
Thank you for all of the wonderful advice!! While I have a degree in graphic design, I've found that medical is a great niche. I will be moving positions VERY soon - and I'm doing everything in my power to avoid burning bridges, as I'm a super impulsive individual and I do tell you what I think.

After my supervisor/director of the physical therapy program put in her 1 month's notice, she was walked out the door after only a week - I was the first person to find out about it, even BEFORE SHE DID. The guy directly above her, who is the regional manager/VP of the company, gave me every detail as to why he was getting rid of her - all of which were lies about her personal character, and although she had a no-compete clause in her contract, those are actually illegal to enforce in the state of Virginia, as it is a right-to-work state.

Furthermore, this Monday, by co-pilot (aka my other receptionist) put in her 2-weeks for a job closer to her home with better pay. We were instructed not to give out former director's personal information out, but fuck that. She's no longer a part of the company and she wants her patients to have it if they ask. No HIPPA violation there. Finally, heard through the grapevine that the ancient therapist who does such a terrible job that people storm out of appointments, "tattled" on us for doing so and somehow found out our other superb therapist was looking for another job.

Regional manager gave her a call and she owned up to it. Is expecting to be walked out the door at any moment. What he doesn't know is she already found another job and is just waiting on government clearance. Our PTA is also job hunting and waiting to hear back on a home-health position. I'm out as SOON as possible. Have an interview with another hospital on Monday for better pay and a better environment. This ship is going down, and I refuse to be on it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets