Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
02:04 PM on 11/20/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I'd say a classic is an album that withstands the test of time, as people have said. An album that years and years later still brings something new to the table that no one else can quite replicate. Those aren't the exact words I want to use...but I think you get what I mean.
02:06 PM on 11/20/12
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
The most recent album I've heard and thought of as a classic is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
03:23 PM on 11/20/12
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Okay time for a ton of quotes cuz I like this discussion.
You Forget It In People
Enter the 36 Chambers
TVU&N
Loveless
Nevermind
Funeral
CYHSY
Dookie
Straight Outta Compton
Ready to Die

Person Pitch
The Low End Theory
Yessss

I'd say this and Funeral would be the most recent examples of albums widely considered instant classics.

Everyone has a different opinion of which albums are classic anyway but for me it's the albums I can listen to on repeat and return to, and those which just blow my mind. Separation Sunday and The Moon and Antarctica are examples where, by the third listen, I could not believe how amazing they were.
Although my definition of a classic is different, I love this album.

My opinion of what makes an album "classic" is how it hits me. If it hits me the way it did as I first listened to it or if it hits me more than at first. My prime example for me is my favorite album "Discovery" by Daft Punk. That album will hit me the same way as when I die as when I first listened to it.
Yesssss x2

I think one thing that hasn't been addressed yet is influence. What did the album do for the rest of the genre going forward. Obviously an album being influential and an album being a classic aren't quite the same thing -- but if an album isn't special enough to inspire other musicians to perfect their own craft I'm not sure it can be a true "classic"
Agreed. Should've added that to my post as well.

In regards to Kanye, his classics are the first 2. MBDTF doesn't come close.
I'd say all 3 are.

Mbdtf is not a "classic" and ive asked why people call it one multiple times and everyones like oh. Everyone naming all their classic albums in here negates what the article said and just adds to the detrimental consumption of popular culture
I could tell you why MBDTF is a classic, Drew touched on it a bit below. If you do want to hear my thoughts of it we'll discuss it.

this is a fantastic debate and I'm excited for it to play out. For the record, I think all 3 of those records are classics, all 3 are so different and show how versatile West is. College Dropout is more a pure hip hop classic based on the production, the album's flow, and the lyrical content. Late Registration had more of Kanye tapping into that pop sound (not in the sense of something like Justin Beiber or the like, but in the fact he worked with Jon Brion on some it and whatnot; a lot of strings a lot of baroque influence, etc.). MBDTF is more of the man going deep inside his psyche, matching production with the content - being grandiose as well as vulnerable. It's like a rock opera, it's his The Wall or Sgt Pepper's, etc.

I personally rank MBDTF as tops, but I can see and understand the arguments made for his first two albums.
Agreed 100%.
11:52 AM on 11/21/12
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
When it comes to hip-hop, I don't consider any of it to be 'classic' - far from it.
Wow, uh.
I'd like to nominate The Shape of Punk to Come as a classic in this thread. Thoughts, go.

Thirded, since it's been seconded already.
11:53 AM on 11/21/12
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
P.S. - Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Don't punch an old lady over that last $200 flat screen.

Oops :/
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests