Male - 23 Years Old
Please don't be I Will Dare.
02:06 PM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Here's another idea: have users submit an RIYL/whatever along with their chosen artist, to better help others choose what to download.
This is a good idea. I'd be happy to send one in if people decide this is what they want to do.
02:24 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
I'd say three three times a week as well.
05:43 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
There should be a .txt tracklist in the file for mine, but for the thread it's:

1. Ex Luna Scientia (Astraea)
2. Pillfox (Eternal Youth)
3. Gloam (Astraea)
4. Cosmology (Cosmology)
5. Tongue in Chic (Cosmology)
06:33 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Rolo Tomassi mix.

Rolo are one of the few 'heavy' bands I listen to anymore. I love how they can go through from complete chaos to calm and then back to chaos all in the space of about 10 seconds. The first track on this mix shows this perfectly at about the 1:30 mark where the intensity just drops before exploding back into life a little later. I love that you picked Cosmology, which is hand down my favourite song of theirs, such a brilliant track and it feels like such a tense song. I maybe would have included a song from Hysterics just to give it a more 'complete' feel, something like Abraxas or I Love Turbulence could have worked well. No complaints with this though, a great mix and a great introduction to a band that i think are going to be very polarising here.
Thanks. Yep, I'm not sure what sort of reaction to expect overall haha. Abraxas is my favourite from Hysterics and was next in line after Pillfox, which is the track I was least sure about including. I think I went for that one because it's just straight-up heavy and aggressive whereas the rest of my choices are probably skewed a bit more towards their pretty, melodic side. At this point Astraea's the first album of theirs I would recommend to someone new to their music, but the whole back half of Cosmology is still probably the best thing they've done and the title track is the peak within that. Now I'm eager to see what other people have to say because I already knew you liked them.

I have the other two mixes downloaded and will listen to them tonight. Looking forward to both!
07:42 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
I'll put mine in my dropbox or something when I get home because it seems to keep going down on mediafire. That'll be a couple more hours though so bear with me.
09:44 AM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Don't see how anyone could be mad at you with that avatar
Haha yep, it seems like it's proving popular. I should keep it past Christmas at this rate.

Anyway:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snmvmsymb...Oq/Mixtape.rar
02:14 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
I don't know a lot about Bjork. Not past what most people know about her, at least, which is that she's apparently a very eccentric, fey individual who makes music. I had a feeling that George's mix might just be a curiosity in that sense, but I actually liked it quite a bit. My favourite track on first listen is the first, Play Dead, which has kind of a trip-hop basis and builds on that with Bjork's unusual but powerful vocal, a slightly jaunty bassline and an uplifting string arrangement by David Arnold that lends it the quality of a James Bond theme, all working in unison together. This one has definitely succeeded in its aim and made me want to listen to more Bjork.

I'm definitely more familiar with The Replacements, even though I've still only really listened to two or three of their albums (you can probably guess which ones). Alex Chilton and Left of the Dial are both two of the raw, ragged, yet tuneful and well-written punk songs that they're probably best known for and that's something I can get behind immediately. The mix is also bookended by two slower, less upbeat tracks that really emphasise the emotion and, in the case of Unsatisfied's chorus, the almost sheer desparation of Paul Westerberg's voice, and for me these are probably the highlights. Can't Hardly Wait is the one I'm not as familiar or as enamoured with, but it's still driven by some cool guitar lines and sounds. Seeing as it's already a band I listen to I can say with more confidence that this should be a great introduction to their music, and hopefully it wins them a few fans.

Working for me!

Rolo Tomassi was... not quite my thing. I liked Cosmology a lot, but the others were a bit too scream-y for my tastes. I'll give it a few more shots though before I give up on it.
Thanks for giving it a chance. Hopefully they do grow on you.

Fuck yes, Rolo Tomassi. Love them, awesome to see a mix here.

I'm gonna make an honest attempt to listen to everything everyone posted, though I don't anticipate giving feedback on many of them.
This guy knows.
06:46 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Enjoyed The Dismemberment Plan (even though they're another that aren't completely new to me) and Powder! Go Away. All the others are downloaded. Thanks to everyone who's tried mine, whether or not you liked it, although I'm pretty glad with how it seems that on balance people do.
04:33 PM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
By saying that, this person probably created a parallel universe where Frightened Rabbit get played to death in the background during the sad/uplifting bits on X Factor.
06:56 AM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Liked Toe quite a bit. Fightstar is another one where I'm already somewhat familiar with them, and on one hand, strictly from my own perspective, it's missing some of my favourite songs of theirs but on the other it's probably the best so far in terms of how cohesive it is and how it gives a good cross-section of their music without pulling in too many different directions.
07:40 AM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
I still haven't listened to Charlie's album, even though I remember hearing a couple of songs from it and thinking they were really, really good
03:27 PM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
Interesting choices on the Alexisonfire one. I think it's like with Fightstar, where those aren't necessarily the tracks I would've wanted to use but at the same time it's still a good one for them all working together and being a good primer for how they sounded.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos