AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Deborah Remus

Written by: Deborah Remus (12/03/12)
2012 was the first year I actually started feeling like an adult, but I guess that's what happens when you start your last year of university, spend most of July wandering around Ecuador by yourself and say goodbye to the orange tabby cat you've had since you were 10. Musically it was another good year (aside from losing Tony Sly) and I'm happy I was able to cover it in some capacity through this website:

Favourite Records of 2012

10) Cancer Bats - Dead Set On Living

It's not a huge departure from what they're known for, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Cancer Bats is one of the best bands making heavy music right now.

9) Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired

Joyce Manor made my list last year and it looks like they've made it again in 2012. I love the Buggles cover and I love "Violent Inside" even more.

8) Billy Talent - Dead Silence

There's some filler, but overall I'm pleased with this band's fourth full-length record. I like how they tried something a bit poppier with "Show Me the Way," but they kept expanding on their trademark sound with songs like "Runnin' Across the Tracks."

7) Great Lakes USA - Live Fast, Die Whenever

This band is one of one my favourite discoveries from 2012. I really like the vocals and "Grown Up Stuff" is another favourite punk track from 2012.

6) Masked Intruder - Masked Intruder

Masked Intruder is another band I didn't know about until this year. I love amazingly fun pop-punk and this record more than delivers.

5) Basement - Colourmeinkindness

Another band that made my EOTY list in 2011. It's a good follow-up and it's too bad this record seems to be their last.

4) The Holy Mess - Cande Ru Las Degas

I've heard of The Holy Mess before, but I didn't really start to pay attention until Red Scare sent over an mp3 of "Within the Range of a Raven." That song sold me and the rest of this record is great too.

3) Propagandhi - Failed States

Propagandhi released another good record that sees them writing some of their heaviest stuff yet. I'm really proud to say something this awesome was actually written and recorded in Winnipeg.

2) No Trigger - Tycoon

I absolutely love Canyoneer and it's really awesome to have these guys release another record after all these years. Also, "Checkmate" is one of the best punk songs released in 2012 by far.

1) The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past

If someone out there has actually been following my lists over the years, maybe they'll remember that Chamberlain Waits grabbed my number 1 spot in 2010. Since The Menzingers followed it up with an even better record it only makes sense for them to reclaim this spot two years later. This band continues to prove that they can do no wrong.

Most Disappointing

Sharks - No Gods

While this wasn't embarrassingly awful like Green Day's Dos!, I never enjoyed this as much as I was hoping I would. I'm not a fan of the over production and I just didn't enjoy these songs as much as I loved the grittier "More Blue" and "Three Houses."

Most Anticipated for 2013

5) letlive. - TBA
4) Broadway Calls - Comfort/Distraction
3) Living With Lions - TBA
2) Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
1) Off With Their Heads - Home

Best Tours That Came Through Winnipeg

5) Gallows and Barn Burner @ the Pyramid on November 16
4) Marianas Trench, Down With Webster and Anami Vice @ the MTS Centre on October 21
3) Brighter Brightest and The Red Threat @ the Ellice Theatre on August 2
2) The Flatliners and Waster @ the Ellice Theatre on April 12
1) Brand New, Cursive and An Horse @ the Garrick on August 7

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
01:46 PM on 01/01/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
finally some love for Billy Talent among the staff members!
08:30 PM on 01/01/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
finally some love for Billy Talent among the staff members!

Yeah, I think I'm the only one who really cares about that band. I can't wait to see them play the new songs in March!
03:07 AM on 01/02/13
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
Yeah, I think I'm the only one who really cares about that band. I can't wait to see them play the new songs in March!
It seems so! Yeah, I'm going to see them in two weeks and I can't wait. the record was pretty good, although it could definitely lose two or three songs
06:08 AM on 01/02/13
Rodeo
User Info.
Greeatttttttt list. Lovin' this one a lot. Same #2 as me and same most disappointing. :(
08:27 AM on 01/02/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Greeatttttttt list. Lovin' this one a lot. Same #2 as me and same most disappointing. :(

Cool, thanks for checking it out! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way about that Sharks record too.
09:05 AM on 01/02/13
J.Dick
User Info.
Based on last year and this year our tastes seem sympatico with the exception of no Hot Water Music.
11:21 AM on 01/02/13
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
Great list! Really the only one I find respectable of all the staff lists I've read thus far. Love Menzingers at #1, and I had Joyce Manor, The Holy Mess, and No Trigger all in my Top 5 (with Classics Of Love rounding it out). I'll have to check out some of the bands on your list I missed.

And I totally agree on SHARKS being disappointing. Hopefully whatever they do next is closer to their old material, and not so polished and plain.
01:05 PM on 01/02/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Based on last year and this year our tastes seem sympatico with the exception of no Hot Water Music.

Cool, yeah, I like HWM but not as much as a lot of other people who are into punk rock. I didn't get into them until I was older so I feel like that's part of the reason. If I made a longer list, I know Exister would have made the cut though.

Great list! Really the only one I find respectable of all the staff lists I've read thus far. Love Menzingers at #1, and I had Joyce Manor, The Holy Mess, and No Trigger all in my Top 5 (with Classics Of Love rounding it out). I'll have to check out some of the bands on your list I missed.

And I totally agree on SHARKS being disappointing. Hopefully whatever they do next is closer to their old material, and not so polished and plain.

Thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear you liked that Holy Mess record too, I haven't seen it make too many lists so far. And since you mentioned it, I'm definitely going to have to spin that Classics of Love record another chance.
11:20 AM on 01/12/13
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
Thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear you liked that Holy Mess record too, I haven't seen it make too many lists so far. And since you mentioned it, I'm definitely going to have to spin that Classics of Love record another chance.

I just checked out Great Lakes USA and ordered their LP immediately! Great stuff! Thanks for the heads up!
02:06 PM on 01/12/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I just checked out Great Lakes USA and ordered their LP immediately! Great stuff! Thanks for the heads up!
No problem! Glad to hear you like that band.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version