AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Our Lost Infantry - 12.10.12

Our Lost Infantry - 12.10.12

Interviewed by
Our Lost Infantry - 12.10.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Our Lost Infantry

www.whereisourlostinfantry.com
www.facebook.com/ourlostinfantry
www.twitter.com/ourlostinfantry
http://www.deepelm.com/ourlostinfantry

1. How did you get your band name?

The name comes from a number of conversations during the genesis of the band about wanting something that summed up our sense of loss of childhood and the fight not to be another wage slave. 'Infantry' seemed perfect - the idea of a generation seen as an army trying to be as hopeful, open and happy as we were when we were children.

2. How did this band get started?

Our Lost Infantry has existed in one form or another with different names and lineups for the last four years, but only since the beginning of 2012 have we had Joe on bass and begun leaning toward the more post-rock vibe that you can find on The New Art History. This stems from our desire to make stuff that can sit right on the fence between instantly accessible stuff and something more thoughtful. I think this can definitely be heard in our new single ‘All The Streetlights of my Hometown” – we want people to have a hook they can memorise without sacrificing experimentation. To this end the record touches on all sorts of different genres – Emo, Post-Rock, Post-hardcore, slight touches of Jazz and a Latin section all while remaining firmly within what we consider ‘our’ sound.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We all listen to a lot of different music but some bands that have had a particular influence include Brand New, mewithoutYou, Everything Everything, Radiohead, Dutch Uncles, Frightened Rabbit, British Sea Power, King Crimson, R.E.M. and Reuben.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Playing enormodromes with Biffy Clyro would be pretty awesome, espcially having seen them play at our local arts centre back in the day. Or Reuben, then they'd have to get back together, which would be an excellent thing.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

A shark. But they're not covered in fur.

A furry shark. That'd be rad.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because our new album has something for everyone. We spent six months holed away writing and recording it, and feel that it's the best thing we've ever done. Yet. Deep Elm have a history of putting out great bands and we feel privileged to be a part of that.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

We'd probably go for Howl, because of the big riff! Or the tapping section of All The Streetlights Of My Hometown. 13/4 is pretty hard on expert!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Beyond the obvious friends, family, girlfriends, label (thanks John!) etc... We'd probably have to say the late Sir Jimmy Saville, who touched our childhoods in a meaningful way.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Nickelback.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Five grown men playing gigball (ask us at a show) in a two-person Travelodge room in Blackburn, with Michael dressed as Mr Happy.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It's an alternative source of news. With bands whose music we actually care about and want to hear. It's an antidote to most radio in the UK.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

The Hollow. It's the most straight ahead post rock moment of the album and sounds massive live.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Mike went to a Moroccan themed hotel. That was pretty boss. He grew a moustache specially.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My mum listened to nothing but Talking Heads and Marillion until I was maybe 7, so that.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Whatever radioactive animal bit Tosin Abasi, I want some of that. Seriously, the guy's chops are insane.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

No. We won't feel we've made it until we get the obligatory wheelbarrows full of drugs and bitches. Or just the chance to pack in our jobs.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Ask Mike about Where's Wally...

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Easter. Something about the heady mix of chocolate and crucifixion just... pops. Y'know?

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

WATCH BREAKING BAD

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I like to simultaneously hum and whistle. Histling. Doing a raindrop impression with your cheek is pretty cool too.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
05:00 AM on 12/11/12
renzenkuken
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great album!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles