Username
Password

06:32 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
That's really surprising to hear, for me. So Runs... has long been possibly my favorite Ritter album and has been since it came out. Historical Conquests... is really really close for me though. I can agree with the exhausting comments, but I think that the pacing and overall journey-type feel of the album is what makes it so special for me (although I think if he had taken off a few songs, e.g. "The Remnant," it would have been just a little bit better).
09:29 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
Jlee@thedisco
wildwood,MO
Male - 22 Years Old
I feel like I'm still trying to get used to that album. Didn't like it at first, but after a while the songs started to sink in. It's just one of those albums that takes a while to absorb, I guess.

I think the thing about So Runs... is that you can't listen to it as background music, it's an album you really need to pay attention to in order to enjoy. Most of the songs are so dense, it's like Josh set out to record an album where each song was "Thin Blue Flame"-like in its epicness. The songs by themselves are fine, but overall the record is exhausting to listen to straight through.

From the songs that've been released so far, Beast seems like it'll be pretty balanced. I'm most interested in how autobiographical the lyrics are when in countless interviews before he used to claim not to like autobiographical songs.
I didn't like it that much at first either save for a few songs. The thing that really got me into it was seeing those songs played live. EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE HIM LIVE
10:47 PM on 02/21/13 
User Info.
alann
Let's go get 'em
El Paso, Texas
Male
I feel like I'm still trying to get used to that album. Didn't like it at first, but after a while the songs started to sink in. It's just one of those albums that takes a while to absorb, I guess.

I think the thing about So Runs... is that you can't listen to it as background music, it's an album you really need to pay attention to in order to enjoy. Most of the songs are so dense, it's like Josh set out to record an album where each song was "Thin Blue Flame"-like in its epicness. The songs by themselves are fine, but overall the record is exhausting to listen to straight through.

From the songs that've been released so far, Beast seems like it'll be pretty balanced. I'm most interested in how autobiographical the lyrics are when in countless interviews before he used to claim not to like autobiographical songs.

Great way to put it. Songs like Folk Bloodbath, Lantern, and Orbital are so tiring to listen to because they are so overproduced. I'm glad he toned it down this time around.

And the lyrics are pretty much along the same line as Bringing In The Darlings, except more uplifting. Which is fine, but for now I'll miss the The Temptation of Adams, the The Thin Blue Flames, and the Another New Worlds.
05:11 AM on 02/22/13 
User Info.
odizzle_word
I know my calculus
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 26 Years Old
I didn't like it that much at first either save for a few songs. The thing that really got me into it was seeing those songs played live. EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE HIM LIVE
This, absolutely. His records are beautiful, but his performances are even more mind-blowing. I love how he's able to adapt his songs to both solo shows as well as those with his full band, and in both instances they all sound so perfect.

...Which is why I'm so pissed about the fact that a few days ago, at 10 AM, he sent out a surprise newsletter saying he was doing a FREE show for NPR at a place not far from where I work, and tickets sold out in minutes. Actually clicked on the ticket link at 10:10, and they were all gone. I knew Josh was getting more popular, but I wasn't expecting the tickets to go that fast.

Blurgh. Oh well, at least I'm still seeing him at Terminal 5. Excited to see how he works these new songs into his set list.
12:13 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
Jlee@thedisco
wildwood,MO
Male - 22 Years Old
This, absolutely. His records are beautiful, but his performances are even more mind-blowing. I love how he's able to adapt his songs to both solo shows as well as those with his full band, and in both instances they all sound so perfect.

...Which is why I'm so pissed about the fact that a few days ago, at 10 AM, he sent out a surprise newsletter saying he was doing a FREE show for NPR at a place not far from where I work, and tickets sold out in minutes. Actually clicked on the ticket link at 10:10, and they were all gone. I knew Josh was getting more popular, but I wasn't expecting the tickets to go that fast.

Blurgh. Oh well, at least I'm still seeing him at Terminal 5. Excited to see how he works these new songs into his set list.
my favorite part of his live shows is that I guarantee you will not see someone more joyful and happy to perform for fans. And this was when i saw him a few days after his divorce (allegedly) Smile on his face the whole time. just a lovely human being Josh Ritter is

can't wait for this album
01:22 AM on 02/23/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I've loved everything he's done (my least favorite was the recent EP) I doubt this will be any different.
09:07 PM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
Jlee@thedisco
wildwood,MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Streaming on NPR right now!
09:22 PM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
odizzle_word
I know my calculus
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 26 Years Old
Link to the NPR stream: http://www.npr.org/2013/02/24/172486...-in-its-tracks
05:07 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
gman610
Second Best
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 22 Years Old
Glad this is finally out there somewhere. Very interested in hearing people's thoughts on this one.
07:23 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
odizzle_word
I know my calculus
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 26 Years Old
On first listen, love it. Amazing how he could make sad songs seem so happy.
11:34 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Needed this.
11:51 AM on 02/25/13 
User Info.
Recovery Room
Viva LaRoche!
Neverland
Male
This is just ... wow ... spectacular.
01:10 PM on 02/28/13 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
Never heard anything by this guy but like the song in the OP so I'll check this out.
02:37 PM on 03/02/13 
User Info.
11:11
Soft sound
Temple, PA
Female - 22 Years Old
"Joy to You Baby"

Man, fuck that song.
10:47 AM on 03/03/13 
User Info.
StreetSpirit76
Michigan
Male - 23 Years Old
Very, very excited to pick this up on Tuesday.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos