AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

06:08 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Exclusive Agreement Creates “Nielsen Twitter TV Rating,” the Definitive Reach Metric for Social TV Audience Measurement and Analytics

I'm surprised I haven't seen this on any of the major sites.
06:26 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
Doubtful. The idea makes sense but I don't know how this can work for years and years and what it is good for.
06:56 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm surprised i haven't heard about this yet , i work in their Data Acquisition call center. I mostly just handle the "sweeps" though.
07:03 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
This isn't the only change in the ratings coming.
small electronic "mailable meters" to replace the antiquated diary booklets are in their beta phase right now.
07:13 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
I also just heard from a coworker that we just bought Arbitron , the leader in radio ratings.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7581448.story

This is great news as it means more hours and work for me since we'll hopefully be doing radio studies again.
07:45 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
chiefjordo
Go Gophers!
Seems like a pretty huge waste of time, to me. But whatever.
08:38 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
Not a waste of time at all.
09:42 PM on 12/18/12 
User Info.
chiefjordo
Go Gophers!
Not a waste of time at all.

I guess I have just always viewed the ratings as a way for networks to justify the cancellation/scheduling/renewal of shows in that higher ratings means more commercial dollars. While this would seem to be a better way to actually quantify popularity, not sure it means much beyond that... But, I suppose it's not a waste from that perspective.

Or, perhaps I am completely missing an angle?
12:26 AM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
I guess I have just always viewed the ratings as a way for networks to justify the cancellation/scheduling/renewal of shows in that higher ratings means more commercial dollars. While this would seem to be a better way to actually quantify popularity, not sure it means much beyond that... But, I suppose it's not a waste from that perspective.

Or, perhaps I am completely missing an angle?
That's pretty much it.
01:13 AM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
Prestonxsmith
BELLYRAMA
Atlanta, Georgia
Male - 22 Years Old
This isn't the only change in the ratings coming.
small electronic "mailable meters" to replace the antiquated diary booklets are in their beta phase right now.

Diary booklets? When I was a kid we had a box that we had to preset to tell Nielsen which specific family member watched what shows. Never heard of a diary booklet.
01:14 AM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
Diary booklets? When I was a kid we had a box that we had to preset to tell Nielsen which specific family member watched what shows. Never heard of a diary booklet.
You were a "metered home" that's different and involves a tech coming out to your house to install it. That's a much more long term thing than the Diary which is for the "sweeps" which is just for one week. We install the meters in larger markets and mail the one week "sweep weeks" booklets to homes in smaller markets.
With the new mailable meter we'd just mail it to you during the sweeps you plug it into your tv and when your week is over you mail it back supposedly.
10:14 AM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
Stupid question, but what good are ratings in this day and age... so many people DVR stuff and sometimes watch it/sometimes don't... people watch stuff online/download it... RedBox, seasons of TV shows on DVD/Blu Ray...

It seems like there are sooooo many different ways for people to watch stuff now, that it must be hard for the ratings to be accurate... and people don't really watch commercials anymore, so I'm fairly certain in the next how-ever-many-years ad companies are not going to want to spend a bunch of money advertising on commercial television
02:15 PM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Stupid question, but what good are ratings in this day and age... so many people DVR stuff and sometimes watch it/sometimes don't... people watch stuff online/download it... RedBox, seasons of TV shows on DVD/Blu Ray...

It seems like there are sooooo many different ways for people to watch stuff now, that it must be hard for the ratings to be accurate... and people don't really watch commercials anymore, so I'm fairly certain in the next how-ever-many-years ad companies are not going to want to spend a bunch of money advertising on commercial television

That's why this news is potentially good. The Nielsen system is archaic but it's still the driving force behind renewing and canceling shows.
02:28 PM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
That's why this news is potentially good. The Nielsen system is archaic but it's still the driving force behind renewing and canceling shows.
Problem is TV's profit model will continue, and Nielsen numbers will still reign supreme because it still represents the best means to produce profit -- live TV.
02:32 PM on 12/19/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
Problem is TV's profit model will continue, and Nielsen numbers will still reign supreme because it still represents the best means to produce profit -- live TV.

I'm sure live TV generates lots of profit still, but I would think that they look at DVD/Blu Ray sales/rentals as well... and Netflix/Hulu views, etc...

I'm sure if no one watched "TV show X" on live TV but it sold 5 million copies on DVD, they'd try to make more shows that were similar to it...

Not really sure how it all works, but it's kinda interesting

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version