Other 8 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

07:31 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
deadkidsean
__
UK
Female
Only checked "Other." Terrible year, awards shows have ruined film, etc. I can't believe how interested I was in this shit a couple of years ago. Growing up is hard.
07:38 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
the hurt locker isn't half the film that basterds was

stopped caring for these awards completely last year when lubezki, malick and the tree of life didn't win
07:40 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
airik625
-
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 25 Years Old
Unfortunately, I've only seen about half the films on that list. That will change soon, but the ones I have seen on that list have impressed me.

Haywire was underrated, though.
07:52 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Only checked "Other." Terrible year, awards shows have ruined film, etc. I can't believe how interested I was in this shit a couple of years ago. Growing up is hard.

I would call awards season the most destructive force in film. Blockbusters are destructive, but they don't infringe on what should be quality in the same way.
08:20 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I don't understand what that means. Are you saying your own opinion is wrong? That there is a rigid objective quality that you didn't agree with?

Perhaps I should have phrased differently. Yes, I believe that, objectively, The Hurt Locker is the finer film: for what it says, for the tight narrative drive, and for the sheer directorial precision. Basterds is bloated and indulgent, and I fully sympathize with the arguments of its detractors, but I still love it beyond all reason, still enjoyed it in the theater more than almost any other film in recent memory, and can still watch it anytime. The Hurt Locker doesn't have the same replayability factor, but when I do watch it, it still bowls me over.

Disagree on all counts!

Which films do you think should have won in those years? And I mean of what was nominated, since I know there are people out there (in this very thread, probably) who would argue that the Academy has never even nominated the best picture of any given year.

I would call awards season the most destructive force in film. Blockbusters are destructive, but they don't infringe on what should be quality in the same way.

Not trying to be derogatory, just genuinely curious: if you feel this way, why bother posting in this thread. There are clearly people here who are still interested in nthese proceedings, still value the Academy opinion, and still love the films that are in the conversation. Nothing wrong with your taste not tilting that way, but why hang out in a thread singularly bent on predicting the Oscar nominees if you view the Oscars as the most destructive force in film?
08:23 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
Come on Craig Manning, quit it with that "If you don't like it, why are you posting?" bullshit. It's a discussion topic, you can discuss things that you don't like.
08:33 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male

Which films do you think should have won in those years? And I mean of what was nominated, since I know there are people out there (in this very thread, probably) who would argue that the Academy has never even nominated the best picture of any given year.

Ah, upon review I was mistaken on Hurt Locker, for some reason I thought it was the same year as Winters Bone. I guess I'd pick Hurt Locker but maybe A Serious Man. But I would pick There Will Be Blood over No Country without question.
08:53 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Ah, upon review I was mistaken on Hurt Locker, for some reason I thought it was the same year as Winters Bone. I guess I'd pick Hurt Locker but maybe A Serious Man. But I would pick There Will Be Blood over No Country without question.

Ahhh, gotcha. I always forget about A Serious Man, even though it was one of my favorite films of that year. It still baffles me that they even nominated that though: it's not an "easy" or "accessible" film.

I figured you'd go for There Will Be Blood, and that seems like an argument that will play out between fans of those two films for ages. I never had any strong affection for Blood, even though DDL is obviously fantastic in it. I've always been firmly in the No Country camp though, and I think I'll defend that as the rightful winner (and one of the best BP winners ever) for as long as I pay attention to these things. Either way, that year was unreal. Just a shame they left stuff like Assassination of Jesse James and Zodiac out of the conversation.
08:54 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
Agreed it was a great year for BP nominees.
08:56 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
If the point of the award shows is to reward "easy" and "accessible" films, how could you view it in any other way than being detrimental to cinema?
09:01 PM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Agreed it was a great year for BP nominees.

The final slate actually didn't really reflect how good the year really was.Would have been a perfect year to have ten nominees.
06:12 AM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
I agree that the Academy has grossly overlooked some of the greatest films of all time in favor of "more accessible" ones... but I think the Academy has also acknowledged some great films that I personally would have probably missed otherwise... especially in categories like Documentary and Foreign Film
04:32 PM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Based on this poll, the consensus for the forum is:

Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
04:33 PM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
I agree that the Academy has grossly overlooked some of the greatest films of all time in favor of "more accessible" ones... but I think the Academy has also acknowledged some great films that I personally would have probably missed otherwise... especially in categories like Documentary and Foreign Film
Could you give some examples? I can't think of two categories they more consistently fuck up.
04:45 PM on 01/08/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Could you give some examples? I can't think of two categories they more consistently fuck up.

If you admit they are lousy at this sort of thing, why do you choose to follow them?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos