Password

02:16 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Spent some of yesterday walking around town listening to this. Thoughts:

1) The band's biggest problem is monotony ... their songs just all sound very similar ... you can appear anywhere on the album and not know where you are because there's a lack of differentiation within the songs. This isn't that much of a detriment in its own, cause the songs are good ... but when we've had 3 albums and 2 eps of the same stuff ... I would prefer they mix it up a little bit -- I think a different producer would help.

2) AJ's voice sounds like he's been drinking and smoking too much.

3) The "speaking through" a line (compared to opening up and singing) I noticed more than usual.

4) The sequencing is off ... the album is back-heavy.

5) This is my least favorite album by them after ~10 listens. Going back to the earlier EPs I think they showed more inventiveness in their song structures and the melody.

6) AJ should get as much credit as Soupy does for relatable lyrics.

7) "Knives" is the best song Manchester Orchestra never wrote.

Same. My first thought after hearing the record was that it's odd that AJ used to rarely sing with such a raw, raspy sound - pretty much just at the end of "Weathered" and "Work In Progress" - but now does on every single track. It becomes a bit much.
03:45 PM on 07/02/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Just watched that acoustic video of Sins for the first time. Wow.
One of my favorites on the album
06:52 AM on 07/04/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
I like RFTS the best probably just because of how it hit me when it came out. I still listen to it more than WP, even though I really enjoy War Paint.
01:45 PM on 07/15/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
I've kind of just cooled off on this in general. I really loved it for a few weeks there, but I've gone back to my initial judgment that it's missing something very vital that the other two records just had without even trying. And I'm not even really sure what that is, but it will definitely mean that I come back to this one less than Reach for the Sun or War Paint.
Yep.
02:00 PM on 07/15/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
I think my problem this time around is with the intermediary album tracks. I really dig the singles, and there are some very obvious album pillars ("Miles Apart," "Anchor"), but some of the other material just feels weaker than album anything they've done on past records ("I'm So Pathetic," "Knives," "Into the Comfort"). I'm sure those songs will have their fair share of fans, but I'll miss when songs as good as "Parachute" and "Miscommunication" were landing on people's lists of least favorite parts of the last record.
Only tracks I find myself returning to are "Catholic," "Sins" (for the end), and "Miles Apart." I love all tracks on both RFTS and WP, so yeah.
02:08 PM on 07/15/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
you've had this for so long you're bored with it 3 weeks before it comes out? new meaning to advance
It didn't do much for me at first so it's nothing new now haha. Those were the only tracks that stuck with me at beginning - my opinion has stayed the same pretty much.
08:05 PM on 07/24/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah it's easily the best song the album
08:11 PM on 07/24/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
1. Miles Apart
2. Catholic Girls
3. Anchor
"Miles Apart" and "Catholic Girls" are the top two for me as well, and I like Anchor, but not as the closer so much.
03:38 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
I posted my thoughts on the album here, for anyone who might be interested:

http://absolutepunk.net/journal.php?...3298#e 370731
Pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Really great write up - glad you didn't shy away from making it personal or discussing the impact of RFTS/WP, etc.
06:27 AM on 08/01/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah after having this for awhile, the second half is way stronger than the first. I think a good reason I'm pretty "this album is good, not great, not anywhere near as good as RFTS or WP" is due to that. The beginning of the album is exhausting. Not in a bad way, just that the first four tracks are all VERY raw vocally and focus more on this aspect than the music or melody. It becomes exhausting by the time "Knives" ends. If tracks like "We Will Wait In The Fog" and "Miles Apart" - some of the more melodic-focused, more upbeat songs were wedged in between any of the first four songs, it would probably sound like a better record. The way it's sequenced now, it's like you're bombarded with this new really raw, almost "heavy" sound for the first part of the record and then it's much more upbeat and melodic on the second half.

"Catholic Girls" and "Miles Apart" are two of the best songs they've ever done, but nothing else on this record really hits me that hard. I find myself preferring to play RFTS or WP over this, even now.
01:22 PM on 08/01/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Revisited versions are awesome. Would have liked to hear an entire album like this.
For real
03:41 PM on 08/01/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
They did revisited versions for all the songs that don't actually need them
Very true.
09:06 PM on 08/01/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Parachute's the worst on War Paint.
Strongly disagree. In my opinion, "
Hold my hands out like I'm starting to break . I'm seeing now what I'm doing to the people around me. I'm not supposed to care this much. I ask myself; yeah, who am I? Well, to anything, have I lost my health? I still harbor all my anger. I've been staring at the color in my veins, how they stay, how I still feel I'm tired, but awake. Somewhere out there there is someone thinking of what I haven't gave them yet and feeling that I can't in my disarray." is easily one of the strongest, hardest hitting moments on the record.
09:47 PM on 08/01/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Hahah Ryan did you really do that?
Me? Do what?
09:47 PM on 08/01/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member
Mitch had fun fucking with a poster that doesn't like anything.
Oh I see

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version