03:36 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
colorfast
I'm a paintbrush in a way.
Seattle, WA
Male - 24 Years Old
I posted my thoughts on the album here, for anyone who might be interested:

http://absolutepunk.net/journal.php?...3298#e 370731

Really great write up and reflection there. I always enjoy seeing your opinion pop up in threads. I still remember some of your thoughts about War Paint when it came out and about how it hit you so hard.
03:38 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Ryan Gardner
Austin, Texas
Male - 20 Years Old
Staff Member

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Really great write up - glad you didn't shy away from making it personal or discussing the impact of RFTS/WP, etc.
03:47 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
The part about trying to find an album to hit you in that right way as you get older really hit home for me.
Yeah, I feel like its harder and harder to get that these days and even when you do its not as big.

As for this band though I've never been as in to them or as attached to their albums as a lot if people on this site so I don't have those expectations, I was actually hoping for this one to push them just a bit further into love territory since they just made it in with War Paint. I'm excited to see how I end up feeling about it compared to everyone else.
04:16 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member

Great write-up, Joe. I'm in a similar position with this album, though I think I like it a bit more than you. Bands like the Dangerous Summer are in this constant battle against the nostalgia of their fans. I think that, in many ways, Jimmy Eat World are in that battle too. They're not bands that write sonically or lyrically complex songs, and they aren't bands that switch up their sound a lot with every release. They're bands who have built passionate followings from writing songs that a lot of people relate to, and because of that, their albums become time capsules for a moment in our lives when it felt like every lyric of every song was written for us specifically. As we grow up, things change. We trade the late nights of youthful promise for long days of routine, and it's harder to find something that feels like it's telling our life story. But when albums come along from our long-held favorite bands, we hope for a return to the way things were. Sometimes, I think those feelings result in unfair disappointment or dismissal of albums that are every bit as great as a band's peak work. Other times, as with Golden Record, I think the songs just lack something that the band has always inherently possessed, and that's the heartbreak for me here. The melodies simply are not as strong this time around, and the lyrics don't hit as hard as a result.

I think it's important that you throw the counter-point in there though, because loving music in the way a lot of us do truly is a remarkable thing. "There are some people who will never feel the things that you have felt, they will never attach memories and moments and people to the music that you love, and they will never know the joy of singing along to a song that sets a fire inside your heart." That's my favorite part of what you wrote, and it really is so, so true. I majored in music and have a ton of friends who did the same, but I'm not sure a single one of them is as passionate, obsessive, or detailed about the whole life soundtrack thing as I am. There are a lot of ways to appreciate music, but I think a lot of us don't realize that the way we do it is actually pretty rare. I'm personally so thankful I've found that in my life, because I can't imagine where I would be without it. It's changed everything.

Anyway, TL;DR I'm sure. Good stuff, thanks for writing it.
04:19 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Really great write up and reflection there. I always enjoy seeing your opinion pop up in threads. I still remember some of your thoughts about War Paint when it came out and about how it hit you so hard.

Thanks! War Paint still hits me hard, and for that I love it.

Great write-up, Joe. I'm in a similar position with this album, though I think I like it a bit more than you. Bands like the Dangerous Summer are in this constant battle against the nostalgia of their fans. I think that, in many ways, Jimmy Eat World are in that battle too. They're not bands that write sonically or lyrically complex songs, and they aren't bands that switch up their sound a lot with every release. They're bands who have built passionate followings from writing songs that a lot of people relate to, and because of that, their albums become time capsules for a moment in our lives when it felt like every lyric of every song was written for us specifically. As we grow up, things change. We trade the late nights of youthful promise for long days of routine, and it's harder to find something that feels like it's telling our life story. But when albums come along from our long-held favorite bands, we hope for a return to the way things were. Sometimes, I think those feelings result in unfair disappointment or dismissal of albums that are every bit as great as a band's peak work. Other times, as with Golden Record, I think the songs just lack something that the band has always inherently possessed, and that's the heartbreak for me here. The melodies simply are not as strong this time around, and the lyrics don't hit as hard as a result.

I think it's important that you throw the counter-point in there though, because loving music in the way a lot of us do truly is a remarkable thing. "There are some people who will never feel the things that you have felt, they will never attach memories and moments and people to the music that you love, and they will never know the joy of singing along to a song that sets a fire inside your heart." That's my favorite part of what you wrote, and it really is so, so true. I majored in music and have a ton of friends who did the same, but I'm not sure a single one of them is as passionate, obsessive, or detailed about the whole life soundtrack thing as I am. There are a lot of ways to appreciate music, but I think a lot of us don't realize that the way we do it is actually pretty rare. I'm personally so thankful I've found that in my life, because I can't imagine where I would be without it. It's changed everything.

Anyway, TL;DR I'm sure. Good stuff, thanks for writing it.

I can't say I disagree. Thanks for reading it.
07:33 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
sweetforever
Penn
Male - 27 Years Old
Yeah I need this album. Miles Apart was stuck in my head all day today.
08:34 PM on 07/29/13 
User Info.
Farva2
Registered Member
Chino, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
hoping they'll have some copies at their show im going to on wednesday. Also hope the vinyl doesn't sound like it was recorded underwater.
07:58 AM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
Oxford, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
Looks like the MerchNow preorders are set to ship today.
03:04 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
BrendanMachow
Boston, MA
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm curious to see if they're selling copies at their shows before it's release.
07:30 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
Oxford, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
Seeing some tweets that make it sound like they're selling copies of this at tonight's show.
07:35 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
United States
Male
Welp. If that's true, we'll all have it shortly.
07:36 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
MASS
Male - 27 Years Old
I've been so ready for this record to ruin me for sooooo long. Hoping we get it a little in advance now that the release is so close.
09:22 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
Farva2
Registered Member
Chino, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
I'll let you guys know whats up after tomorrows show.
12:36 AM on 07/31/13 
User Info.
UrSpaceIsEmpty
AJ just tweeted that they are indeed selling copies at shows
05:16 AM on 07/31/13 
User Info.
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
Belmont, NC
Male - 21 Years Old
Would love to come home from work to this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos