Displaying posts 225 - 240 of 261.
10:58 AM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Truth
11:04 AM on 02/07/13
James Shotwell
User Info.
couldn't your reviews just be posted here under the absolutevoices moniker?
I think that is a killer idea.
01:37 PM on 02/07/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
This doesn't really have anything to do with hip hop, but seeing as it turned into ways to improve the site, may as well chuck my opinion in.

I'd like to see more features/editorials/whatever about older music. There's lots of people on this site that just don't listen to anything pre-90s. And it's not just ignorant pop punk kids, there are some people on here who generally like really good music, but I never ever see them talk about anything 'old'.

I'd like to see some sort of weekly feature where different staff take a sub-genre of music, or a specific time period, or a label or whatever and talk about some great bands or albums. The Thursday discussions did that, but it turned into, 'best early 2000s Victory records bands!!!', which has been done to death on this site. I'd like to see features about the best pre-war blues music, or the best anarcho punk bands of the 70s, or even something much more accessible, like best Motown artists.

That way, you're actually introducing people to new artists, rather than re-hashing the same old stuff. Kids who like The Wonder Years would probably dig Descendents and Adolescents if they were shown them. People who were big on Frank Ocean would probably love Curtis Mayfield or Sam Cooke. Japandroids fans would probably love The Stooges or The Replacements. I think introducing people to new, older music they may not hear otherwise would be a really good thing.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'd love a weekly feature focusing on something like that.

I want this to happen.
02:14 PM on 02/07/13
Star Slight
User Info.
In the nicest way possible, I don't think we have the staff to make those kinds of list happen
02:16 PM on 02/07/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I agree
02:43 PM on 02/07/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Well you're staff, do ya thang!
03:30 PM on 02/07/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
In the nicest way possible, I don't think we have the staff to make those kinds of list happen

It legitimately wouldn't need more than two dedicated people to happen. We have two people.
01:17 AM on 02/08/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
Feature on DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince? You got it.
11:13 AM on 02/08/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
And yep denning ruined a good idea.
11:19 AM on 02/08/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I like how Denning is able to epitomize everything we explained was wrong with the site in one post. Good work.
12:59 PM on 02/08/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
I hope this site finds a hip hop reviewer who can discuss the music, culture and scope of the genre and lifestyle and foster open-mindedness in the majority of users so that everyone comes away from discussions more educated and enlightened towards things they (and the website) have been largely ignorant to, eventually weeding out almost (if not all) of the racism/classism/sexism that's often exhibited by people unfamiliar with art that lies outside of their (almost always white/male) personal worldview.
05:09 PM on 02/08/13
Ryan Dennehy
im posting here to remember to read this later
05:33 PM on 02/08/13
ChaseTx
have fun, it was a blast
06:48 AM on 02/09/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
Gotta be honest, I am a little afraid that there's a "glass ceiling" so to speak in terms of how far this site can penetrate the mainstream due to the name. I mean, I'm not advocating a name change necessarily (what I think matters none anyway) since the name recognition the site does have can't be taken for granted, but there's a limit I think to how many people are willing to legitimately recognize a site called AbsolutePunk as a source of music news and criticism.

Which is too bad, but that's just the way it is.
Actually, this is more because the quality of reviews and content on the site is just lower. You can't really blame this on branding.
06:49 AM on 02/09/13
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
I hope this site finds a hip hop reviewer who can discuss the music, culture and scope of the genre and lifestyle and foster open-mindedness in the majority of users so that everyone comes away from discussions more educated and enlightened towards things they (and the website) have been largely ignorant to, eventually weeding out almost (if not all) of the racism/classism/sexism that's often exhibited by people unfamiliar with art that lies outside of their (almost always white/male) personal worldview.
most ridiculous sentence of the day
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums