tozborne
Writer, Under the Gun Review
User Info.
Thanks for the share, y'all!
11:12 AM on 02/07/13
tozborne
User Info.
Fantastic article. I didn't plan on getting one so it didn't really affect me, but I was disgusted to see how many of those Thrice/Manchester Orchestra splits were up for sale the day of pre-orders for more than $100.
Thanks! It's been a reality for a while, but I thought i'd just ease some collectors who may have just started in the past year or two. I feel ya. Thanks for reading!
11:20 AM on 02/07/13
tozborne
User Info.
A distinction needs to be made between the Title Fight and FOB situations. The latter, where people buy multiple copies of a limiting pressing, is really unfortunate and frustrating, and labels should try to prevent it (only sell a few copies per person, for example). The former, where there's plenty of records but people want the /500, is not a problem. I have no issue with profiting off morons willing to pay $100 for a particular color.
Yeah I see what you're saying here, that makes sense. I do think it's a bit harmful to the collector still though, as there are people just buying them up just to sell it right away. It just seems a bit scummy to me.
11:37 AM on 02/07/13
tozborne
User Info.
Really great article, and I'm glad someone's calling out the problem. One of the worst feelings to go on ebay after missing out on grabbing a record and seeing those ridiculous prices.
Thanks for the kind words!
12:10 PM on 02/07/13
tozborne
User Info.
Vinyl is about the whole physical experience. Color goes into that too.

The whole idea behind limited pressings of records is incredibly dumb anyways. All it does is encourage this kind of behavior by enticing collectors to buy it and hope the price goes up. But like, a band doesn't profit when a record gets resold, so why does a band need to encourage that behavior? Do they think it will cause more records to be sold?

There this weird irony at play. If Title Fight were to sell copies of the Floral Green colored pressing for $100, people would throw fits at them charging so much. So instead what happens is the guys with fast fingers and nothing better to do make an $80 profit just by making a few mouse clicks and we're supposed to all be okay with that? If the demand dictates that the record be sold at $100, I'd rather the band get that whole $100 instead of random blokes on the internet.
This.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums