AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 13 posts.
09:06 PM on 02/18/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
There have been guests on every single Fall Out Boy record.
09:13 PM on 02/18/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

It baffles me how much people will go out of their way to find a reason to try and discredit this album already ...
01:45 AM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Who was a guest on TTTYG?

Justin from MCS and the dude from Knockout.
01:53 AM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't think 2 chains will help to save rock and roll. also there's a gigantic difference between having members of bands from your own scene guest star ie Justin from MCS or Chad from NFG. who also aren't featured in the title of the songs they sing so unless you look it up you wouldnt know they're there. a new fall out boy album should focus on fall out boy. that's enough for people to be excited, you don't need to cram all this extra nonsense in there.

Jay Z, Lil Wayne, John Mayer, Eric Clapton.
09:35 AM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

I meant Elvis Costello. Was really late. Sorry.
11:46 AM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
The new Fall Out Boy song clearly had more in common with the shit they play on the Radio than anything they've done before and like all the shit on the radio those artists get guest artists to try and hide the fact that what they've written is actually really bad.

Fall Out Boy, well played sir. Well played.

Honestly, Fall Out Boy should have just stayed retired.

Sounds like a logical progression from where the left off.
11:47 AM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I wasn't aware of the guests on TTTYG or FUCT until this thread, actually. My comment is just because I've been aggitated at Fall Out Boy's more recent guest spots. Some are completely needless -- case and point Jay Z's. It served no purpose. The only reason why, was because they wanted to hype up the fact that Jay-Z would appear on the record. Same with Elvis Costello, Lil Wayne. The contributions these people have are far outweighed by the potential of the songs if Fall Out Boy just left it to themselves. These guest spots are not a collaborative effort whatsoever, it's Fall Out Boy adding bells and whistles to appear more progressive or more a part of something they could achieve on their own.

How do you know that?
12:48 PM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Who is this butch walker and why is everyone nut hugging him

(I know he writes hits for pop stars?)
Sarcasm?
01:02 PM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Nope. Barely heard of the bloke
Other than doing songs for Katy perry, pink and swifty

Should take a look at his discography. Probably one of the most respected producers and songwriters in our scene.
03:11 PM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Obviously, between the two of us you're the expert. My comment is conjecture by your standards. But in the article, Pete more or less provides proof in the pudding. I'm paraphrasing but he says "the album is finished, we're just waiting on the contracts." Suppose a contract does not go through? Fall Out Boy is not without a song, they are just without a guest spot for that song.

Also, I'm sure Thriller's creative process was not held up by Jay Z. Or Tiffany Blews for that matter... Weezy's lyrics had little to do with the rest of the song. What it sounds like to me is they let Weezy be Weezy on their song and were glad to have his name associated with them.

Guess I don't see the difference - if they feel the song is better served with a guest, they try and add it ... I've never gotten the feeling they just do it for the hell of it. Also don't get what the big deal is if the outcome is great (as their past has shown) ... feel like they've more than proved they know what they're doing.
08:38 PM on 02/19/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Personally, I would like to stop saying "That's a good Fall Out Boy song but I wish they hadn't done this with that person." Yes, they will deliver but they would be able to do it without trying to blur genre lines. I see it as sticking a square peg into a circle or whatever the saying is.
Which songs do you say that about?
11:25 AM on 02/20/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Tiffany Blews, Thriller, What a Catch, Donnie... The remix to This Aint' a Scene. The amount of songs are finite, but the issue becomes more clear when they want to blend the pop rock with the hip hop. So far, I would argue that they have missed opportunities -- even with "My Songs Know..." At the risk of sounding contradictory, I'd have to say if they want to be successful blending their genre take a page from Blink's book. For them, it makes way more sense to have Yelawolf on a track because of Travis' background in hip hop. Blink devotes time in their shows for Travis to do solo drum work. To me, that just makes sense. But to have Fall Out Boy feature 2 Chainz on a track because he's relevant comes across as desperate to me. They aren't convincing 2 Chainz fans to listen to Fall Out Boy or Fall Out Boy fans to listen to 2 Chainz. It's the Fall Out Boy fans that are phased by it, not the 2 Chainz fans, either. So again, I say it's needless. We disagree, but I do appreciate this very healthy, interesting debate.
Guess we see it differently. I love those songs.

I don't know if he's on a track.
12:53 PM on 02/20/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
That's the difference. I like those songs -- want to love them -- but I can't.
Guess I don't think a 5 second intro really ruins "Thriller," and the cameos on "What a Catch" are one of my favorite parts of the record.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums