AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Children 18:3 - Children 18:3 Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.29
Musicianship 8.29
Lyrics 7.93
Production 8.32
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.11
Reviewer Tilt 7.93
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Children 18:3 - Children 18:3

Reviewed by: thepianominstre (03/18/08)
Children 18:3 - Children 18:3
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: February 26, 2008

At first I wasn’t sure what to make of this trio of home-schooled siblings - two brothers and a sister - whose name feels like some youth group worship band. They dress like some kind of goth death metal rockers and sound like Shiny Toy Guns meets Paramore meets MxPx meets your neighborhood ska band. But it only took one spin through their self-titled debut for me to decide that Children 18:3 are the most refreshing punk rock has sounded in years.

Children 18:3 leave behind the ambient, multi-layered lovefest of the modern day and simply play their instruments and impress with a crisp and tight sound. When it comes to punk rock, this strategy usually leaves us trapped inside the doldrums of a two-step four-chord whining contest, but the Hostetter siblings churn their creativity to the max to keep things catchy. In addition to the standard upbeat punk tunes, songs like “The City” incorporate ska-like offbeats and a dancing bass, while songs like “Mock the Music” feature Panic at the Disco-esque dance rhythms. The mellow “A Chance to Say Goodbye” flows like a good ballad from old friends MxPx or Blink-182 (you know you used to like them, too). There are even a few guitar solos that, mixed in with the hooks and riffs, would feel right at home on Guitar Hero.

However, the strongest weapons in the children’s arsenal are the vocals of David and Lee Marie Hostetter. David sings with a likable intensity that carries the melodies with its sharp inflection, occasionally falling somewhere between the professional quirkiness of mewithoutYou and the frenetic dexterity of that one Ludo song. Lee Marie shines with a piercing resonance on typical catchy anthems like “Search Warrant.” At other times she lets out her true colors with more of an intensity that feels neither misplaced nor presumptuous. But what is most delightful is the trade-off between the siblings, singing back-and-forth or together with nearly perfect timing. Their seamless integration blows Shiny Toy Guns out of the water while adding the icing to an already smart cake.

Children 18:3’s lyrics are just as refreshing. Often they create clever pictures that stand well enough on their own, or can be searched for a deeper meaning. “All My Balloons” declares, “The words I wrote are a broken chain / Holding me from the criminally insane / But its gone and there's no stopping / All my balloons are popping.” Other songs give food for thought to the faithful without turning off the rest. “Final” jeers, “Their fathers killed the prophets / Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too,” while “You Know We’re All So Fond of Dying” projects a sarcastic cry from the unborn.

The fact that I’ve made so many comparisons should not lead you to believe that these are aspiring punk rock posers without a solid sound. Just the opposite is true. Their sound feels so unique that it’s impossible to pin down to a single artist, and it’s probably why every reviewer is reminded of someone different, from Superchick to The Clash.

There are a lot of heavyweight veteran releases to look forward to this year, but Children 18:3 are a pleasant surprise you’ll want to keep spinning. It’s practically required to be on any punk fan’s annual list, and is original and exciting enough to sneak in as a viable contender for the rest of us from the broader musical world as well. Children 18:3 have the potential to generate a legendary trans-genre fanbase akin to the late Five Iron Frenzy or mewithoutYou. This is your invitation to join.

For Fans ofShiny Toy Guns, Paramore, MxPx, The Clash, Superchick, Saves the Day, Panic at the Disco, Ludo, Guitar Hero

Track Listing01. All My Balloons (2:16)
02. LCM (2:16)
03. You Know We're All So Fond of Dying (2:47) *
04. Search Warrant (2:21)
05. Even Sleeping (3:17)
06. Ditches (3:17)
07. The City (2:49) *
08. Homemade Valentine (2:30)
09. Samantha (0:54)
10. Mock the Music (2:58) *
11. A Chance to Say Goodbye (2:58)
12. Time and Wasted Bullets (3:15)
13. Balloons (Reprise) (0:36)
14. Final (4:40)
15. Who They Are (iTunes bonus track) (3:21)

* standout tracks

myspace.com/children183

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
06:28 AM on 03/26/08
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
i was pretty on the fence about these guys, but i think now i might check this CD out. great review.
06:33 AM on 03/26/08
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
Nice reivew! I'll have to check these guys out! Do you know if they are a Christian band??
06:39 AM on 03/26/08
Foober
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice reivew! I'll have to check these guys out! Do you know if they are a Christian band??

Christians in a band, but their name is in reference to Matthew 18:3.
06:54 AM on 03/26/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
i'm not going to lie, I wouldnt have given this band a chance without your review. But after checking this out i'm really impressed.
07:42 AM on 03/26/08
heyjohnnyfive
johnholcomb.com
User Info.
I love this record, probably the best thing T&N has released in a long time. Though I completely disagree with a couple bands on the similar bands list... Paramore? Panic?!? I'd replace those The Dingees, old Offspring, even Rancid. Solid review.
08:48 AM on 03/26/08
hardpill
Get Well Incentive
User Info.
I've been spinning this around for about a week now, and each time you listen to it it's almost like you find something else to like about it. Solid album
08:58 AM on 03/26/08
qwertyboy5000
Bobbles.
User Info.
Their image makes me think of bad wannabe MCR, which turned me off, but with references to MxPx and FIF, I've gotta take a listen.
09:23 AM on 03/26/08
qwertyboy5000
Bobbles.
User Info.
Wow. I listened to some of their songs, and I'm gonna have to pick this up. I was particularly impressed by "The City" -- that song's straight-up ska, just without the horns.
09:42 AM on 03/26/08
Fallinlove
Windsor ON
User Info.
This band is sweet!
They put on a killer show!
10:39 AM on 03/26/08
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Probably my favorite release of 2008 so far.
11:02 AM on 03/26/08
in10city
www.ryanpolei.com
User Info.
i checked this band out on a whim and they are now easily one of my favorite new albums of this year.
11:24 AM on 03/26/08
d00d81that
Christine
User Info.
this band is amazing. the first day i got it, i listened to it like 10 times ! this album is so versatile.
suh-weet review btw :)
11:28 AM on 03/26/08
Wolf I Am!
AWW spelled Wolf Am I!
User Info.
Its weird I heard about these guys like 2 years ago, they won a big battle of the bands at a christian club (Club 3 Degrees) in MN and now their on tooth and nail... pretty cool
11:50 AM on 03/26/08
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
These guys (and girl) play some darn good melodic punk, and while it is catchy, I wouldn't compare them much to Panic or Paramore...it's way more punk than that

But yeah, good review. Ch 18:3 blew me away live and the tracks on the record are no different.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums