AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Burning Motherfuckers-Burning Motherfuckers Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 6.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Burning Motherfuckers-Burning Motherfuckers

Reviewed by: bartels18 (02/19/13)
Burning Motherfuckers-Burning Motherfuckers
Record Label: Handmade Records
Release Date: August 12th, 2012

A contorted mix of dance healthy distorted bass lines, eerie vocal chants and a dark undertone make up the consortium of sounds that is Norway’s Burning Motherfuckers. This duo from Norway live up to their name as their fiery sounds make one want to not only put on his or her best dancing shoes but tear apart their very existence in the process.

A healthy comparison for these two run along the lines of Death From Above 1979, The Talking Heads and Lightning Bolt, along with a slight vocal comparison to System of Down. The opening track, “End of the Line”, displays the duo’s penchant for the art of the dance with the inaudible chants of Thomas Eggum blistering over his sprawling fuzzed out bass lines. Being the shortest original track on the release, it is perhaps the most accessible, while at the same time being one of the more abstract tunes due to the vocal patterns and the chaotic, elongated rhythm.

The next three tracks take the expansiveness found in Eggum’s bass on the previous track and take it to a new degree. The vocals clean up and the the measures become shorter, yet the songs become longer. “Retired” displays drummer Øystein Monsen subtle side as the track slowly grinds along with his growing hits. The song increases in pressure and the line “I know you never wanted me anyways, thats ok” is viciously chanted with greater angst each time. The SoD reference comes into play as the song calms down and becomes ethereal and soothing in nature before exploding into a fit of anger once more.

DFA79’s influence can be clearly heard on the ear ripping “Society,” a six minute effort that showcases the bands strong points. Mixing the rhythmic heat of “Retired” with the vocal originality of “End of the Line.” The closing track “Voice in my head” slowly treads along a more atmospheric pace than the previous tracks. The bass becomes clearer and distant, while a droning synth can be heard skimming along the top of the rhythm line. A confused lustful, confession by the band, “I got a voice in my head/should I trust her this time,” closes out the record. Many darker key changes interrupt the peaceful pace of the song, making this eight minute epic one well worth listening too.

The two remixes at the end of the album give an interesting take by others. From the pseudo-noise Laconic Zero remix of “End of The Line” to the infectious dance beats of ZIXAQ’s remix of “Voice in my Head,” both are worth a listen. If you are looking for a dance beat that makes you want to punch a hole in your wall, Burning Motherfuckers self titled EP is a good place to start.

Recommended If You LikeDeath From Above 1979, Talking Heads, Lightning Bolt, System of a Down, Norway, Dancing

http://burningmotherfuckers.bandcamp.com/

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums