AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:13 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
buck dutter
Arizona
Male
I'm a person that reads a lot of reviews, because I watch a lot of television, and no one I talk to does, so it's my way of having a very one-sided conversation about the things I watch. Something I've been catching a lot is this thing where reviewers (and probably people in general) have problems with how "believable" a plot is. Does this seem like kind of a silly problem to have with a show? This was obviously a big problem people had with "Homeland's" past season, and something I've read come up with "House of Cards". I don't get it. Where is the line where believability becomes a factor? What does this even mean? People don't expect "believability" from Spider-Man. Or from a show like "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia". So why is so much detracted from a show like Homeland because the storyline isn't "believable"? It's fiction. It's never happened. There's things that have happened that seem "unbelievable".

tl;dr is believability a factor when it comes to how much you appreciate a show or movie
10:31 AM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
Raynham, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
Ehh, I mean part of entertainment is often the suspension of disbelief, because if reality were that entertaining we wouldn't need TV - but there are some things that are so unbelievable (on a show that's supposed to be realistic) that can take you out of it. So believability is always appreciated but not necessary a key to appreciation.
08:38 PM on 02/26/13 
User Info.
moretoburn
I think it just depends on the project. I wouldn't expect realistic physics of weaponry in a movie like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. However, something like Zero Dark Thirty might just be held to a higher standard when it comes to things like that.
10:10 AM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
Las Vegas
Male - 31 Years Old
Further to what Alex was saying, it also depends on the tone the show or film is trying to set. While the first couple of seasons of 24 were always based on a heightened reality, the stakes and consequences felt like things that could've been based on real life occurences. But by the time you got to the later seasons it almost became comical trying to buy into the tension because the set up was preposterous.

Even Breaking Bad has had a few (very few) moments where the plot shook me for a moment because the rest of the show is so dedicated to trying to stay within the confines of what could be the real world.
03:30 PM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Usually no, not really. One exception: In Hugo the movie clearly takes place in Paris, France yet I don't think a single actor is French, even bothers a French accent, says any French words in the whole movie. Some actors even mispronounce the couple French names in the movie. The part that annoyed me the most is when they had the flower girl say "Hello! Hello! Good morning!" in which they could have easily thrown in "bonjour!". It's a great movie, but as a moviegoer it annoyed me and as a francophone it definitiely made it hard to believe.
03:32 PM on 02/27/13 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
One more example, in True Blood there's a part where Erik like sifts away like sand out of LaFayette's car that seemed really out of place. Although alot of magical things happen in the show, that part seemed unbelievable and out of place.
11:29 AM on 02/28/13 
User Info.
sammyboy516
Male - 23 Years Old
I think it's important to think of believability within the context of the show's world. Like, if Spider-Man had a car dropped on his head and came out without a scratch then that wouldn't make any sense. Or if Always Sunny became a super dramatic soap opera, it would lose it's believability. I've never seen Homeland, but I would imagine that if the show spent its past seasons building a sense of real-world believability, of events that wouldn't seem far-fetched in real life, and suddenly abandoned that, then fans would be upset.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos