Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 1 posts
09:00 PM on 03/07/13
edxburdick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Workout is probably the best band on this list. They take the generic metalcore (mentioned in the comment above) that is constantly proliferating and put an original spin on it. It is incredibly hard to find a metal-whatever band these days with something that stands out, but I can assure you, The Workout has that something. If their debut full-length, "Sounds Like a Blast" didn't convince you, then their 8-track EP "Bomb Voyage," a concept album telling the story of a boy in the post-apocalyptic world, will, or should, at least.

While SLAB had some great moments, including an a cappella breakdown in the opening track, Bomb Voyage takes the original brilliance exhibited in the first album and takes it to a whole new level. The opening track reprises the post-apocalypse theme seen throughout SLAB, and simultaneously introduces this new album as a continuation, and formal beginning, of the story being told. Short, but effective tracks such as "Atomic Winter Blues" and "The View From King Oak" show just how diverse in sound this band can be.

Another great thing about this band's music that sets them apart from most bands of similar genre is that every instrument adds something unique to the sound. Whether it's nearly outlandish riffs into beautiful chord progressions, driving synthlines, clean piano parts that would sound out of place if they didn't fit so perfectly to the parts that are unmatched in originality and equally as beautiful, to the contrast of high-register clean vocals to generally lower (but highly versatile) heavy vocals, to booming basslines, all tied together by perfectly complementary drum parts.

Bottom line. I love this band. I love all of what they do. I could go on and on about this album, because it's been on repeat since the day it came out. I had been highly anticipating this album's release, and it exceeded any expectation I could have had for it.

Do not sleep on this band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version